Thread: Vista needs reset network adapter after wake up

Vista needs reset network adapter after wake up

I have four laptops at present running with Windows Vista business edition. All are connected to my Wireless router. The only problem am facing on all these four laptops is whenever they go into sleep mode, the loose their network connection after waking up. The only way to reconnect them again is to reset network adapter or to restart the laptop.

Unless the laptop is rebooted or network adapter is reset, Network and Sharing Center shows “Local Only” connection. As per troubleshooting I disabled network adapter during sleep mode, somebody suggested to disable IPv6, and while searching I found to install KB933872 but none of these worked for my any laptops.

Can anyone here please let me know any permanent solution for this annoying problem? Many thanks.

Re: Vista needs reset network adapter after wake up

There are many more people facing this problem with Vista. While searching for the solution of the said problem I came through few discussions describing the same with various working solutions. So I think you should checkout the same, hope you get some help:

It is very annoying problem and have been faced by many users. I've seen many users facing this problem earlier also. So just try out these steps:
    1. Go to network and sharing center (right click on your connection icon, lower right on screen, click network and sharing).
    2. Click on Manage Network Connection to the right of this window 3.Now right click on the adapter you are trying to use and select properties.
    3. Click on ipv4 Internet and click properties
    4. Ok, so now you need your routers IP, you can get to this if you have access to the router. I have a netgear router and set the following:
    5. IP Address 192.168.1.3 (The reason the end is 3 is so it doesn't conflict with my other computer)
    6. Subnet Mask 255.255.255.0
    7. Default Gateway 192.168.1.1
    8. Preferred DNS: 192.168.1.1

I am not a MS "Engineer" but this worked for me:

- Open 'Control Panel', Click on 'Network and Sharing Center' then click on 'Manage Network Connections' in the left sidebar.

- Right click on your connection, usually 'Local Area Connection', then click properties.

- Click on the 'Configure' button, then the 'Advanced' tab.

- Go to 'Reset PHY If Not In Use' and change the value to 'Enable'.

- Click 'Ok' and restart your computer.

I tried all the other fixes mentioned in your post and they did nothing for me. I changed the IPv6 and the power save settings back to original values and everything still works with the one change as detailed above. This was on a Vista machine with the nVidia router. Hope this helps - I searched everywhere for a solution to this problem and finally stumbled on to this myself. Like I said, I'm no MS Support "ENGINEER" just a frustrated user!

Rick

P.S. It will take a few seconds for your Internet connection to re-establish after coming out of Sleep mode, but it beats having to reset the network adaptor. It may have done this orginially, but it is such a quick reset you would never notice anyway.

I have discovered that I must leave the option for vista to power off my adapter in the ENABLED mode. Contrary to everything I have read about this problem, mine began recovering automatically from sleep mode after I ENABLED the power off option. It seems that upon awakening from sleep Vista needs to know that it must power up (reset) the adapter to use it. Worked for me.