Thread: xbox 360 windows media center won't connect wirelessly

xbox 360 windows media center won't connect wirelessly

I have a old laptop that has Vista in it and xbox 360 was automatically recognized in that. I didnt setup anything and it worked fine with wirelessly. After that the laptop died, I got a new one and this time I had to set everything up, for XP Media Center/xbox 360 and got it to work, but it will only work if my laptop is wired, it won't work wirelesly. I still have Home
    Premium, I think the new laptop is still Wireless G, so how can I get
    Windows Media Center to work on the xbox 360 without having the laptop
    wired to the router? The xbox360 is wired, not wireless, so can anyone help me out with this issue? Thanks.

I hope you are still here. I have windows 7 ultimate and ....(drum roll) IT DOES NOT CONNECT!!! With a cable it is almost seamless. With the 79 euro wifi connector from microsoft, it does nothing but sit there and laugh at me. Don't know what to do. I have been working on this for 3 days, about 16 hours. I am so stumped. I hope someone can help

i have places a call to Microsoft and lets all hold our breaths...the guy who takes care of these problems will be back tomorrow. All I said was: I have an xbox360 and windows 7 64 bit. If he calls I will be very surprised. When he does I will let you all what happens. If we get it worked out, I will post what I have found out.

After about an hour an 20 mins withe the xbox tech, we have resolved nothing. He will call me back in about a week and see if there is anything new. I will keep you posted if i get this working.

Was there ever a solution to the above problem? I'm in a similiar situation. I'm on Windows 7 Home premium... wired to the gateway/router. xbox360 on wireless g to the gateway/router. gateway/router is 2wire via ATT Uverse.

Per other help sites, I've config. MacAfee and opened all ports, even disabled all firewalls and still no connection. error on the PC still says 'extender not found'. not sure what I'm doing wrong... I'm skeptical that my gateway/router is blocking something... but it shows my home network as fully trusted between machines (pc and xbox360).

Any help is appreciated.

Re: xbox 360 windows media center won't connect wirelessly

I found the solution!!

Go to Network and Sharing, "Manage Network Connections" then highlight both the wireless and wired networks, right click and "Bridge Connections". Voila! like a charm.

This was driving me nuts forever, and I finally found the answer stashed away.

I tryed this and it my work if you have both a wired and wireless network. If you have just one network and it is wireless it won't work and your back to square one.

this was how i managed to solve it..
    follow my steps
    1. open windows explorer and edit the text on the browsing bar and paste:
    Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Network and Sharing Center\Advanced sharing settings

2. make sure Xbox 360 is allowed and not blocked

3. re-configure your PC and Xbox 360

4. everything should be done!
    Last edited by tomibewi; 26-10-2011 at 07:49 AM.

This are some settings I tried recently, which can help you. Mostly the device is blocked by some kind of security application or firewall. I will not tell to disable them but to put the device under exception list. Go to Settings > Network settings > Advance > Wireless > Settings. You have to provide appropriate SSID here. The same much match with the wifi router and tahts all.

Even I was facing similar kind of problem with my xbox connection problem, so from a method on one of the official site on the XBox Technical Issues forum, I totally uninstalled Shaw Secure, after that just restarted my Media Center host computer, and attempted to connect to the XBox via the original process. Within 2-3 minutes after typing in the authorization code, the XBox had connected. So, there was definately some problems with the Shaw network with connections between a Media Center and pc and xbox 360.