Thread: Vista and XP Sharing: Not enough server storage is available to process this command

Vista and XP Sharing: Not enough server storage is available to process this command

We have a peer-to-peer with 5 computers. Data is stored on a Vista 32x computer. Three folders were created at the root and shared. The other four computers are XP Prof and Vista 32x (2-2). A proprietary tax software is being used on each computer. TrendMicro Internet Security 2009 installed. After normal use one of the XP computers receives "Not enough server storage is available to process this command". On the Vista computer with shares we added the reg key IRPStackSize and then began slowly increasing the number to its maximum of 50 (per article 177078). The issue is intermittent, but once the message is received on one of the computers, the Vista computer with the shares must be restarted. Has someone had similar issues and resolved this? We are going to try the following: uninstall virus protection, add the IRPStackSize to each computer in our workgroup, and call proprietary software company. We are kind of running out of options.

Re: Vista and XP Sharing: Not enough server storage is available to process this command

Yes, this is what I would try first. Uninstall the 3rd party security software and make it work first.

Re: Vista and XP Sharing: Not enough server storage is available to process this command

I have had this problem for a long while now. It disrupts the office when we have to re-boot the shred server computer, which runs Vista. My computer is the only one affected, I am the only one running XP service pack 3.

When you say to uninstall the security software, AVG Free Edition, and then redo the network, how should I proceed doing that. Could I disconnect my computer from the network, uninstall AVG, reinstall it, and then connect my computer?

I have the same with several systems.
    I increased the IRPStackSize to the max of 50 dec. and noticed some improvements. Other things that seems to be of influence are the USB-devices plugged in (blue screens at plug in!). With the Vista systems used as "server" I noticed the problem after some MS-updates around jan/feb 2009. The problems occurred with antivirussoftw. of Symantec, McAfee and AVG (free and the Internetsecurity version). I understand that at the time of the above mentioned MS-updates there were changes to prevent misuse of systems by malware etc. so that points in the same direction for the IRPStackSize. Unfortunatly the max is 50.
    IP chimney and other suggestions didn't work either.
    It seems that for some systems it's more problematic than others (I experienced it with HP and some self-builds). Even had big problems of intermitting network contact with HP-multifunctions, but after the patch for connection-stability that problem was solved. At the moment I reboot the Vista "server"-systems at nighttime.
    Windows7 doesn't fix this problem. Some systems with the same software and configs don't seem to have any problem, but I can't see any logic in it for chipsets or other hardware other than that some HP-systems seems to be extremely sensitive for this issue.
    btw Lowering the number of shares in combination of maximising the IRPStackSize made it a little better for some systems while others functioned OK.

Anybody with a solution?
    Last edited by Alfa50; 22-10-2009 at 01:19 AM.