Thread: Can't Print Vista Laptop on shared printer connected to Windows XP Desktop

I own a Cannon I960 printer. It is connected to my Windows XP system through a USB cable. I had shared the printer so that other can access too. I had connected a router on the modem and wifi is on. There is another Visat laptop which shares the internet on Wifi. In XP network places I am able to see Windows Vista folder. That means file sharing in working and in Windows Vista I am able to see the shared printer. But when I print the document get stucked. The print does not appear at all. The print job just stuck on my pc and when I try to delete that it is not getting away. How can I fix this.

Try to re-install the printer and then check again. I think your system is not having printer driver due to which you are getting that error. You must go in Add Printer option and try to add the printer by manual process. Just choose the model and collect printer driver through Windows Update. It is one of the best way to deal with the problem. And when the printer is finally installed then simply set it as default. I am sure the problem will be solved. It is necessary that the printer is configured and does not face any error after connection.

I had discussed this issue before with many other. A printer shared on Windows XP system is always having trouble with Windows Vista. After finding information through number of different website at last I came to know that the problem lies with firewall. You have to turn it off. Because the firewall blocks the incoming and outgoing traffic. Or you will need to put the printer under exception list of Firewall. The same you will need to do for the antivirus software which are installed in your computer. Just turn them off and then check back.

I am having the same problem with my Vista laptop and XP desktop and an HP Officejet J5780. I follow the process described but I cannot use the \ to put in my computer name so I used /. This still did not work. I tried downloading the drivers for Vista 64 from HP to my desktop, which seemed to work, but when I go to share the printer and select the additional driver, I do not see the driver.

re: Can't Print Vista Laptop on shared printer connected to Windows XP Desktop

Problem solved
    Last edited by nravi; 03-09-2009 at 06:14 PM. Reason: problem solved