Go Back   TechArena Community > Technical Support > Computer Help > Windows Vista > Windows Vista Network
Become a Member!
Forgot your username/password?
Tags Active Topics RSS Search Mark Forums Read

Sponsored Links

Change From Domain to Workgroup: Can't Log On

Windows Vista Network

Old 17-11-2008

Change From Domain to Workgroup: Can't Log On

I have got a partner who is coming from overseas and his computer is running Vista on it. He wants to access the local file server while visiting. So, he changed the network setting from his domain to the local workgroup. After restart, he was not able to log in? I think that his pc was never setup with a local account and the adminstrator is turned off as well. So can anyone tell me how do i get him back into his computer? Thanks for any information.

Old 18-11-2008

Actually, Vista installs built-in Administrator and this will be the local admin that you are talking about, which is disabled by default. You can use NTpasswd to enable the Vista's built in admin and use a blank password for it. After once it is created, then try to make a Standard local user account for him and it will work properly. Download the NTpasswd from here.
Old 18-11-2008

Thanks for the solution. I ran the program and the computer can be now accessed. I have also configured it properly for what he needed and have given him instructions on how to re-join the domain and capture his old user settings when he returns from overseas. Thanks once again.

TechArena Community > Technical Support > Computer Help > Windows Vista > Windows Vista Network