Thread: WAN Miniport (SSTP) - missing driver

WAN Miniport (SSTP) - missing driver

I have a Windows Vista home Premium running desktop at my home. Computer is working fine, no problem, but today while checking Device Manager I saw a yellow infront of a device which I never saw listed earlier. It is as following:

“WAN Miniport (SSTP)
    Windows cannot load the device driver for this hardware. The device driver may be corrupted or missing. (code 39)”

I never saw this device listed earlier until a week ago when I checked device manager for the last time. It is referring to an inf file called netsstpa.inf. When I search the computer that file has definitely been indexed in the past (location c:\widows\inf), but it's now gone. I don’t know why and how its gone because I dint made changes in this computer since a month.

Any suggestion on this?

Re: WAN Miniport (SSTP) - missing driver

You should just try re-installing the drivers and problem will be solved. Isn’t it that simple? Follow these steps:
    • Go to device manager and select "Show Hidden Devices" under the View menu.
    • Expand Network adapters. You should see the WAN Miniport (PPTP)
    • Try right clicking on it and uninstalling it.
    • Now fetch the devcon.exe package from Microsoft (Search for devcon.exe on google) and extract it somewhere.
    • Go to the command prompt / console (cmd.exe) and get to the folder with devcon.exe in it.
    • Run this command: devcon.exe install c:\windows\inf\netrasa.inf MS_PptpMiniport
    • Go back to the device manager. You should see the WAN Miniport (PPTP) back.
    • Try making yourself a fresh VPN connection now.

That’s it.

I appreciate your help Javalr but following those steps made things worse. Instea dof fixing the problem now my whole WAN Miniport SSTP option is lost.

Now what?

I had this problem in Vista recently.

I used netcfg and devcon to resolve it. Netcfg is shipped with windows. Devcon needs to be downloaded from:
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/311272/en-us

I removed and readded the device with the warning sign. These are special devices for VPN links, etc. Device Manager cannot repair them directly. You may want try just adding the device back without removing it first.

To remove:
    netcfg -e -u ms_ndiswanip

To add:
    devcon install c:\windows\inf\netrasa.inf ms_ndiswanip

If you get a failure message in devcon, reboot and let the bootup process try to finish the install. Let it run to completion, it takes a couple of minutes. I had to do this. Devcon seems to fail adding the drivers to the device node when Windows is running.

Both of these commands are run from the cmd prompt. Copying devcon.exe to a convenient directory like c:\users\<your ID> first is helpful.

If your device has a different name substitute it above. You may want to check netrasa.inf with notepad or wordpad first to make sure it is part of this definition file. Most likely it is.

MSDN or TechNet have writeups on what MINIPORTS are used for in more detail.
    Correct Problem Definition is 50% of the solution ...