Thread: File access and saving very slow with network folders

File access and saving very slow with network folders

I have four machines connected on a network which includes 2 Vista Business, 1 Vista Home and 1 Windows XP Sp2. The problem we are facing on all these computers is very slow access to the files and folders saved on the network. These systems are connected with D-Link wireless router running 3 machines direct from it 4th network cable is plugged into a D-Link switch which runs 2 network printers and another machine.

Apart from these, it shows 100MB network connection speed, 50MB on Wireless, 20MB file copy speed and 3Mb copy speed on wireless. All machines are running with Norton Protection centre. Now as we are facing slow access, let me tell you that we are using Outlook BCM shared database - performance seems fine (the database is around 35Mb). When we browse through the network, speed is pretty good but when we work or save any office files on network, it takes maybe a 30 second delay on a small (50k) file. Sometimes it also gets freeze for about 2 minutes and says application Not Responding.

Any idea what could be the problem. One more thing I would like to say is the problem was also when I was running just 2 vista computer on the network. All helps appreciated.

Re: File access and saving very slow with network folders

The cause of the problem is very clear dude. I have been through this problem once and it was Norton Antivirus. I tried many things that dint worked but when I uninstalled Norton, problem got solved and there was no more slow access on network. So, just remove Norton Antivirus and better install Microsoft Live OneCare. See the difference.