Thread: Connected to internet but not able to browse or update

Connected to internet but not able to browse or update

I have a HP laptop and am having some issues with it from last few days. When I check the Network tab then it tells me that I am connected to the internet but if I am trying to open any website then it will display a message saying that the site cant be opened or something similar. On the other desktop pc, internet is connecting properly but I am not able to browse when connected to internet in the laptop. Also, when I try to update the antivirus then it says that it cannot connect to the server? So, when I tried to pin on IP4 then it shows me 1231 error code. I am using Vista on the laptop and Windows XP on the desktop computer. Can anyone help me out. Thanks

Re: Connected to internet but not able to browse or update

Can you tell us how are you connected to the Internet? Are you using any kind of router or are you connected directly to the Modem. Can you try to check the TCP/IP setting, it could be possible that there might be no dns configuration if you have not set it to auto obtain.

Re: Connected to internet but not able to browse or update

You can try to reset Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) and see if that helps. The reset command is available in the IP context of the NetShell utility. Follow these steps to use the reset command to reset TCP/IP manually:

1. To open a command prompt, click Start and then type CMD in the Search programs and files.
    2. Right-click CMD.exe icon in Programs and choose Run as administrator.
    3. When the User Account Control box pop up, click Yes.
    4. At the command prompt, copy and paste (or type) the following command and then press ENTER:
    5. netsh int ip reset c:\resetlog.txt
    6. Note If you do not want to specify a directory path for the log file, use the following command:
    7. netsh int ip reset resetlog.txt
    8. Reboot the computer.