Thread: Failed to connect to a windows service

Failed to connect to a windows service

I am running Windows Vista and I am getting the below error message at bootup:

"Windows could not connect to the System Event Notification Service service. This problem prevents limited users from logging on o the system. As an administrative user, you can review the System Event Log for details about why the service didn't respond."

I am not able to start the Event Viewer because it tells me that the Event Log service is unavailable. When I am checking the same services then it is listing System Event Notification Service and DHCP service as starting, and IP helper as stopping. I tried to search for solutions on various other website but didnt find anything suitable. Is there anyone who can help? Thanks.

Alright, can you click on Start and then type "services.msc" in the search box and press enter. After that a window will popup and here you will have to check that no services are disabled, even if it is then try to manuall run them. Is still no joy then try to perform a repair installation of the OS by using the Windows Disk.

Re: Failed to connect to a windows service

I followed your solutions but when I was trying to start the DHCP service then it gave me an error message saying that "Windows could not start the DHCP Client service on Local Computer. Error 1079: The account specified for this service is different from the account specified for other services running in the same process." Any ideas?

If you want to resolve this problem, assign the Network Service account Full Control access to the following registry subkeys:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Dhcp
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip

For a much guided way, follow the steps given on this website - http://support.microsoft.com/default...b;EN-US;895149