Go Back   TechArena Community > Technical Support > Computer Help > Windows Vista > Windows Vista Network
Become a Member!
Forgot your username/password?
Register Tags Active Topics RSS Search Mark Forums Read

Sponsored Links

Fails to connect to network on boot, have to reset network adapter

Windows Vista Network

Old 09-09-2008

Fails to connect to network on boot, have to reset network adapter

I have a wireless network at my home which is already running two windows xp desktops without any problem. Yesterday I bought a new Dell laptop which came pre-installed with Windows Vista Business Edition. There is something wrong with this laptop because no matter on Wireless or with Ethernet cable, it looses the connection to my router in few minutes and thereafter it wont connect to my router. Am sure there is no problem with my router because I use my smartphone wirelessly on the same and two computers are as well running with it.

When I ran ipconfig on this laptop, it shows:
Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:
Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . :

Every time I need to reset my network adapter by going to Network Adapter Diagnose and Repair to make it connect again to internet. It is very annoying. Is there any permanent fix for the same? BTW what could be wrong with this brand new laptop?

Old 09-09-2008

Re: Fails to connect to network on boot, have to reset network adapter

Hello Gopieee, you must know that there still many routers which are yet not compatible with Vista operating systems. I guess the same has happened in your case. Though it is working fine with XP I guess it is not compatible with vista. What is the make/model of your router? So just check if there is new drive for the NIC and a new firmware for the router? If its there, update them all.
Old 09-09-2008

Just go through these steps and see if it fixes the problem:
  • Click Start, Programs\Accessories and right click on Command Prompt, select "Run as Administrator" to open a command prompt.
  • Reset WINSOCK entries to installation defaults: netsh winsock reset catalog
  • Reset TCP/IP stack to installation defaults. netsh int ip reset reset.log
  • Reboot the machine.
Old 10-09-2008

I appreciate your helps guys. Today I was doing ipconfig /renew on my vista laptop and it resulted in the following.

C:\Windows\system32>ipconfig /renew
Windows IP Configuration
An error occurred while renewing interface Local Area Connection : unable to contact your DHCP server. Request has timed out.
No operation can be performed on Bluetooth Network Connection while it has its media disconnected.
No operation can be performed on Local Area Connection 2 while it has its mediadisconnected.
An error occurred while renewing interface Local Area Connection 4 : unable to contact your DHCP server. Request has timed out.
No operation can be performed on Wireless Network Connection while it hasits media disconnected.
C:\Windows\system32>

What else?
Old 15-04-2009

Hello Rowan,

I have the same problem as you do with my new lenovo running vista x64 business. The solution I use now is the same, restarting the intel wifi link form the manage netwoork connections pannel. Did you find any solution that really makes sense?

Thanks in advance,

racc

TechArena Community > Technical Support > Computer Help > Windows Vista > Windows Vista Network
Tags: , , , ,