Thread: Attaching to Vista shared folder from MSDOS returns Error 5: Access has been denied

Attaching to Vista shared folder from MSDOS returns Error 5: Access has been denied

I am using a Windows Vista Business laptop, connected to a network with MSDOS Microsoft Networking client. Whenever I try accessing the shared files/folders of MSDOS Client from Vista laptop, it prompts me for password. When I enter the password, it sais “password is wrong” though am sure the password is correct (Confirmed more than 10 times). Finally if it accepts my password, then it says “Error 5: Access has been denied.”

I’ve tried almost everything I know about networking. Can anyone here help me further? Many thanks.

Re: Attaching to Vista shared folder from MSDOS returns Error 5: Access has been denied

The error code “Error 5: Access has been denied” indicates to the permission issue. As per troubleshooting it, just ensure you are logged on using an account that has permission to view the shares on the remote computer. Also logon the same username and password on both computers or use net net use \\computername /user:username command.

Re: Attaching to Vista shared folder from MSDOS returns Error 5: Access has been denied

To connect you have to enter the computer name and de username as loginname:

loginname: computername\username
    Password: password

this works fine for me, by using a ms-dos client and vista

error 5 - access denied

Hi too am getting the same error. I'm trying to connect to a system using windows XP pro from a machine running dos 6.22. I'm using Microsofts client for DOS. I've tried the username as suggested computer\user and still receive the same error. When I run NET USE and it asks for the username if there is a "\" in the name, it tells me the name is invalid. At the command line if I type net use x: \\computer\sharename it seems to accept it but then says the password is invalid (which of course it isn't). I'll type it again and then the error pops up.

I can log in from other XP computers to that share so it doesn't seem to be a problem where the share is set up incorrectly.

Any help would be appreciated.