Thread: Red x on network connections

Red x on network connections

I have a dial up and the icon on taskbar says I'm not connected but I am.Some sites says to just remove the icon.This is very frustrating because sometimes when I try to open a site it says "Not connected to internet."
    Thanks in advance. I'm a newbie but learning!

re: Red x on network connections

If you get a red X on top of your network icon or you are not able to open the Network icon then follow the below steps:

1.Go to Start menu and choose Run and open command prompt.
    2. And after that Copy/paste the following line and then press Enter key:
    Net localgroup Administrators localservice /add
    3. Once you have done that then reboot your computer.

If you don't include the Run command showing at what time you click the Start button follows the instructions below.
    To include the Run command on the Start menu within Vista does the following.

You have to Right click the on the start button and then please choose the Properties and then on top of the start menu use the customize tab key. After that Scroll down and following that ensure Run command. Once you done with it then click on the ok button and apply the settings and save the all changes you made.

Re: Red x on network connections

Thanks for the quick reply. Like I said,i'm a newbie. Will have to read up on copy/paste. Will save your instructions for future use. Thanks once again

I tried to open the command prompt which says; C:Windows\System32\cmd.exe on the top. Below C:\Users\445DX\App Data\Roaming\Microsoft|Windows|Start Menu>
    When I typed in your instructions and pressed enter and rebooted the computer, and connected by dial up,it still had the red X.
    When I opened the command prompt, should your instructions still be there? Does it make a difference if you copy paste the instructions or just type it in?

Can you please confirm the following, whether you are seeing something similar to it:
    • Under Network adapters, please tell me all the devices listed.
    • Are there any devices under Network adapters that have a red x displayed?
    • Also, are there any devices anywhere in the Device Manager display with yellow ? or ! displayed?

I think the problem is solved. I opened up the network connections and played with the status and now the red x is gone and the icon is blue with the globe back on it. When I opened Device manager, my six 6t04 adapters have the yellow triangle. When I open up properties, it says Code 31 This device is not working properly because Windows cannot load the drivers needed for this device. When I open Update properties it says that the latest driver for this is installed.

Spoke too soon.When I rebooted the red x is still there! Help

As you said you have a yellow question mark next to any hardware component, so that means if network card is not visible in Device Manager, most likely it is a bad one and needs to be replaced. Network card are not expensive. Go and buy one. But first go into BIOS and check if it is not disabled somehow.