Thread: Vista HP cannot share printer on XP

Printer drops offline in wireless network

A windows XP desktop and a Vista laptop connected with the same network. HP printer is installed on Win XP and shared. When I try to access the printer from my Vista laptop, very few times it is able to connect and most of the times it wont. The only method to get the printer access is to re-install it on vista. Do anyone here know wht Vista keeps dropping the printer connection every now and then? Is there any permanent solution for the same?

Vista HP cannot share printer on XP

I’m having a home network connecting 1 Windows Vista PC, 1 Win XP and a HP Printer. Printer is connected with XP system and shared properly with all correct settings. I can ping XP and even map a drive on XP desktop using its IP address or computer name without any problem. But I’m neither able to access XP shared files/folders or Shared printer.

Xp is able to access all shared files on my Vista without any problem, but Vista cannot access XP or HP Printer. Am I missing something?

Re: Vista HP cannot share printer on XP

As I don’t know what settings you have made, but here are the correct settings that works in your situation. Just try it out:

• On the network search for Windows XP computer name and click it. You should be able to see the name of the printer you wish to connect. You will need these 2 names for step number 7/8.
    • Now click on the Printers icon in the control panel.
    • Right click on a blank portion of the screen, select add printer and a menu will pop up.
    • Choose add local printer option. Now choose 'Create New Port'. Click Next.
    • Another popup screen will open. This is where you need the computer and printer name.
    • Enter the following into the box \\computername\printername and click OK
    • It will now prompt you to pick your printer firmware. Select your model. Click Next.
    • It will now ask to either use the installed driver, or replace the current driver. Pick what you wish. Click Next.
    • Type in a printer name. And either select, or unselect the 'Set as Default Printer Option. It will now install the printer.
    • You have now successfully added a printer. You can now test a print sheet.

RE: Vista HP cannot share printer on XP

That’s great dude. That’s exactly how I configured my printer and is working fine on all my computers. Anyways, saathii you also need to make sure you have a vista compatible Printer driver to install on the Vista Machine.