Thread: Windows Vista wifi not able to access shared media file on the wifi

Windows Vista wifi not able to access shared media file on the wifi

There is a problem with wifi access on Windows Vista. I had attached a router to the wifi and somehow I am not able to access shared media. It was working it just stopped working suddenly. There is a xbox connected on the network and there are some media files in it. It was accessible on Vista before but recently I was just playing around and made some changes. Due to which the Network Sharing Center is affected and cause the failure. When I go in Network Sharing center everything is connected and internet is also working. Only the shared media files disappear. I am sure there will be any way to fix the settings back.

I think the firewall is turned on due to which you are not able to access those files. It is recommended that you must disable that and check once again. I am sure it will work. Just turn of the firewall and restart your system. There will be changes in the settings and it will help you in accessing the files. There can be some set of security applications also that can cause the failure. Disable them also and then test it one more time. Second thing go in your vista system and add the xbox under firewall exception list if you are not willing to turn it off.

I got the same issue with a desktop system. I am having a video folder that I shared. It was having Windows XP and then put in on wifi. On start I was able to read the content on Vista laptop from any corner of the room. But after windows update things were screwed up. The XP system was not at all detected. I performed system restore and things went back to normal. So you can test that and figure out what is the cause of the issue. You can simply run system restore and check whether the problem is solved or not. There will be some old settings will be restored and offer you a better option to deal with same.

re: Windows Vista wifi not able to access shared media file on the wifi

I had this annoying problem, I would place the mouse pointer over the network icon and it would tell me i am not connected to a network when actually i was and everything seemed to be working fine. I tried everything to bring back the network identification to the icon and my network and sharing page. Here is how i finally fixed the problem after 2 days of sleeplessness. I went to the network icon on the desktop (classic mode) (I am running vista business prem), I clicked on network and sharing center icon, the then clicked on the customize button just below the world globe in order to customize network settings, then I clicked on merge or delete network locations at the bottom left side of the set network location page. I noticed a lot of duplicate locations. all said not in use and unmanaged. I deleted them all, every single one of them. I then went back and used the create a network connection function to reconnect to my network, I entered the SSID of the network as if it was a new computer. When it connected, walahh! I got my connection back.
    NOW IF I CAN ONLY GET MY MICROSOFT UPDATES TO WORK, I KEEP GETTING THAT ERROR CODE THAT EVERYONE SEEMS TO GET.

No offence Adam but what are you on about?

There may be many possible reasons for this. You can try to rename the connection on the router and if you do that then this will force it to make a new connection. So try this and see if that is able to solve the problem for you or not. Other than this, you can also refer the links below. They have also discussed about the same thing. See you can get the answer for your question out there.
    You are currently not connected to any networks
    Not connected to network?