Thread: Disable Windows Mail

Disable Windows Mail

I am having Windows Vista installed on my computer and I am trying to disable Windows Mail by going into Control Panel and setting the default programs to the email program called Incredimail that I want to use as default. When I open Incredimail then it says that it's the default client but when I use Windows Mail then it tells me that it is the default program? If I am trying to forward an email then Windows Mail would pop up instead of Incredimail. Can anyone please help me out. Thanks.

You should go to Start and then click on Default Programs and then choose the option to Set your default programs and then click on Incredimail and then click on "Set this program as default". If that doesnt work then it might be possible that Incredimail cannot be set as a default program and hence you will have to wait until the developers of Incredimail release a stable version of the software that would work properly in Windows Vista.

You should first of all find the location of the mail program that you want to use as default, like in mine case it was "C:\Program Files\MSN\MSNCoreFiles\msn.exe" and then follow the below method:

1. First of all click start menu and type regedit in search bar
    2. After that locate the Hkey_classes_root key and expand mailto/shell/open/command
    3. I will now show (default) REG_EXPAND_SZ "%ProgramFiles%\Windows Mail\WinMail.exe" /mailurl:"%1"
    4. After that right click on default and then click modify
    5. Now you have to replace this "%ProgramFiles%\Windows Mail\WinMail.exe" /mailurl:"%1" with this "%ProgramFiles%\MSN\MSNCoreFiles\msn.exe" /mailurl:"%1"
    6. After that whenever you will click on a mailto link then it will open your preferred mail program instead of the Windows Mail.