Thread: Outlook Express 6 Compact Messages

Outlook Express 6 Compact Messages

I am using Windows XP with Outlook Express 6 as my default email client. It was running fine since a long time but don’t know what went wrong, since two weeks OE keeps on giving a pop up saying:

“To free up disk space, Outlook Express can compact messages. This may take a few minutes.”

It is very annoying. Any idea how to get rid of this ? Thanks in advance.

Re: Outlook Express 6 Compact Messages

Hello BUKSIS, first of all let me tell you that this is not the section for XP or Outlook. This is only for Vista Mail. You should have post this query under Outlook Express general Newsgroup that is located here news://msnews.microsoft.com/microsof...xpress.general.

Anyway, as far as the issue is concerned, There is no way to turn off Compact Messages also you should not do it because that is the process that makes Outlook Express work correctly.

Re: Outlook Express 6 Compact Messages

Within last 4-6 months, I am getting message: "To free up disk space, Outlook Express can compact messages. This may take up up to a few minutes. OK / Cancel." This occurs when my computer boots up (post-Welcome screen) up to when I log off at night. AND it occurs every 10-15 seconds for up to a couple of hours; then it stops for several hours, and then resumes every 10-15 seconds. To say that this is annoying and frustrating.

I never click OK; always cancel. I have NO idea why this is occurring. About the same time this started, something called Indexing is occurring intermittently. I never asked for it, have no idea what it is, etc. Have no idea if the two are connected.

Questions:
    1) How do I make "compact messages" go away forever?
    2) What is indexing? Why do I need or want it? Make it go away?

Finally, technical: OS - XP Pro, SP3. Antivirus: Webroot 2011-2012. Up-to-date on all Microsoft patches.Does anyone know what is happening and how to make it go away.