Thread: Windows mail smtp

Windows mail smtp

Am using Windows mail on Vista. Set up this right yesterday. However I am able to receive the messages, don’t know what’s wrong it won’t allow me to send any mail. Every time I click on Send, this is what I get:

An unknown error has occurred. Subject 'essai', Account: 'famille', Server: 'smtp.free.fr', Protocol: SMTP, Server Response: '421 Cannot connect to SMTP server 212.27.48.4 (212.27.48.4:25), connect error 10060', Port: 25, Secure(SSL): Yes, Server Error: 421, Error Number: 0x800CCC67

I tried to get some help from other discussion at this place, most of them have mentioned to remove their antivirus programs, especially Norton. As I was also using Norton, I removed it completely from the system and now have installed Avast but still getting the same problem. I don’t have any more idea what should I do? Somebody please help.

re: Windows mail smtp

Would like to know two things before I can suggest you anything. First, who is your ISP? Is it free.fr?

Also is it your laptop that you carry along with you and use various ISP or it’s a desktop with just one ISP?

Nope, its not a laptop. Am using Windows Mail on my desktop PC that is connected to one single ISP, that is free.fr.

Any help.

According to the error you mentioned above, to me it seems like the port 25 is facing block problem when attempting to use one's home ISP SMTP server while away from home, and this usually happens when you move from one place to another. But as you said you are using it in your desktop computer that could not be the problem. So I suspect your antivirus, Avast. Why don’t you just uninstall this as well. Let your PC without any antivirus for a hour and see if you face any problem using windows mail.

I don’t think any problem will occur. But still if you want you can download AVG free edition. It is totally compatible with Windows mail.

You should consult your email provider for the settings once again or check their official page for the same. You should use some other port number of SMTP, I mean any other than Port 25. Probably Port 465 and 587. But your email provider can tell you better about this.