Thread: Can't open/save attachments in windows mail. Or open or run download

Can't open/save attachments in windows mail. Or open or run downlond

I have recently installed Windows Vista on my computer and when I trying to open any attachments or even try to view them in outlook then it gives me an error message which says 'There was an error saving one or more of the attachments". There is another problem with internet explorer. When I try to download the files then it will not save the file or even open downloads, but when I click to run it then I get the confirmation to allow the file to run but nothing happens. I am theerfore not able to download any other internet browsers as well. Can anyone please help me out, thanks.

I think that when the User Account Control is disabled then the download will be able to start. Actually, the download problem is not related to Windows Mail problem at all. Therefore you will need to reset Internet Explorer and see if that solves the downloading any program problem. Go to Tools >> Internet Options >> Advanced tab >> and then click on Reset. If still no joy then you will need to reinstall Windows Vista on your computer once again.

I was also not able to open and save any attachment on Windows Mail but finally I solved it. There is a third party dll file loaded in Windows Mail which is a malware and you will need to clean that file, then only Windows Mail will work for you. Follow the below steps to fix this problem:
    1. First of all download Process Explorer by searching it from the net.
    2. After that you will need to extract and run ProcExp.exe and Open Windows Mail
    3. Now you have to go to "View" -> "Lower Pane View" -> Click "DLLs"
    4. After that you need to navigate to "View" -> Click "Show Lower Pane"
    5. Now you have to find the WinMail.exe in the upper pane
    6. After that in the Lower Pane, you will find many DLLs. You will have to search for any third Party DLLs showing up there.
    7. Incase if you find any, lets say for example abc.dll, then you can google it to find its path or what application does it belong to. Then try to delete that DLL file.
    8. After that you have to restart the computer and test windows mail which would be working fine now.