Thread: Problems sending out mails with Windows Mail: Error Number: 0x800C

Problems sending out mails with Windows Mail: Error Number: 0x800C

Hi, I setup windows mail on my brand new Vista Home edition laptop. Configured mail with few my pop3 accounts. though there were no errors while setting up the same now when I try to send emails, I get the following error message:

The message could not be sent. The authentication setting might not be correct for your outgoing e-mail [SMTP] server. For help solving this problem, go to Help, search for "Troubleshoot Windows Mail", and read the "I'm having problems sending e-mail" section. If you need help determining the proper server settings, please contact your e-mail service provider.

The rejected e-mail address was 'XXX@XXX.com'. Subject 'Re: Fw: Verscheping Rotterdam - Qingdao China', Account: 'mail.hofung-technology.com', Server: 'mail.hofung-technology.com', Protocol: SMTP, Server Response: '551 User not local; please try <forward-path>', Port: 25, Secure(SSL): No, Server Error: 551, Error Number: 0x800CCC79

I have tried rechecking the settings, tried changing IP address, ports etc but nothing seems to be working. Hoping some good advice here for fixing the same. Thanks in advance.

According to your error message it seems like you are using a china based private mail server, that is mail.hofung-technology.com. I don’t think it is dependable server and hence its obvious to get those errors. Why don’t you get a free email account from gmail? Or if you want to use that private mail server than search their website (if any) and get the proper SMTP server and Ports numbers to make it work.

Your error message says “Error Number: 0x800CCC79”. I found a Microsoft Article with exactly the same error message and its solution. It says:

1. Click to select the My server requires authentication check box, which is located in the Outgoing Mail Server properties in Outlook Express.
    2. On the Exchange Server 5.5 computer, open the Internet Mail Service properties. On the Connections tab, click Accept Connections. Click to clear the Only from hosts using Authentication and the Clients can only submit if homed on this server check boxes.
    3. On the Exchange 2000 server, enable Anonymous Access on the Authentication tab of the SMTP virtual server.

See if t helps you. You can get more info about this at this KB article: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/290808