Thread: Can not send or receive email

Can not send or receive email

I bought a new Compaq Presario laptop that came preinstalled with Vista Home edition. Earlier I was using Xp with Outlook for mails. Now on Vista I thought to experience Windows Mail, hence tried configuring the same with all my accounts. I dint faced any problem during the configuration but am just unable to receive or send any email from this.

I checked the settings again but everything seems to be fine. Don’t know what’s wrong. I called up my ISP to check if there is something from their end but checked and said that the problem is with my Windows Firewall and they can help me fixing the same as they don’t have much idea about the same. Later I tried to get help from HP but they too are helpless.

I tried searching on net and got few things to try, tried everything but nothing worked. I even allowed Windows mail in my system’s firewall but that even helped to fix the problem. Do you guys have any idea what could be the problem? Please help.

Re: Can not send or receive email

Personally I have never heard or seen any person facing Firewall problem with Windows Mail. Infact there is no report that says Windows Firewall interferes with Firewall. The only thing you need to check is your Antivirus program. If you are using Norton or McAfee than they could be the problem because they have email scanning features that blocks your all incoming and outgoing mails considering them as malicious.

So just uninstall them completely from your system because though disable the email scanning feature they will continue to create the problem. Simply remove them and uninstall AVG free edition.

Thanks for your help CaspaR. You were almost right. Yes I was using Symantic Norton but I uninstalled it as you said and installed AVG. Restarted the laptop and this is the error am getting now:

The connection to the server has failed. Subject 'test', Account: 'pop.east.cox.net', Server: 'smtp.east.cox.net', Protocol: SMTP, Port: 25, Secure(SSL): No, Socket Error: 10061, Error Number: 0x800CCC0E

The connection to the server has failed. Account: 'pop.east.cox.net', Server: 'pop.east.cox.net', Protocol: POP3, Port: 110, Secure(SSL): No, Socket Error: 10061, Error Number: 0x800CCC0E

What now.

Many times Windows Mail gets corrupted because of continues email scanning or due to some other reason. And in your case, Norton might have corrupted the mail account before your removed it form the system. So better you delete the account and recreate the same.

It will fix your problems for sure.

Yeah, that is correct. Most of the time accounts get corrupted and you face such problem. And the only solution is to recreate them again. If that doesn’t helps than follow these steps:
    • Go to the Vista start menu and type cmd
    • The search results will display a program named "cmd"
    • Right-click on the link and select "Run as administrator"
    • type "netsh interface tcp set global autotuning=disabled" without the quotation marks
    • Test your POP account and see if you can now download your mail.
    • If nothing changes, re-enable the auto tuning feature by typing "netsh interface tcp set global autotuning=normal"