Thread: importing outlook pst-files and Mozilla Thunderbird-files into Windows Mail

importing outlook pst-files and Mozilla Thunderbird-files into Windows Mail

I’m having very complicated situation, will try to explain the same as simple as I can. Earlier I was using Windows XP desktop computer. I was using Outlook 2003 and Thunderbird on the same for emails and all. I have created backup for both of these mail client.

Now I bought a new laptop that came pre-installed with Windows Vista and Office 2007 Home and Student pre-installed. What I need to do is import both backups from Outlook and Thunderbird (old PC) to the Windows Mail on new PC.

First of all you will need to take backup of your Outlook in pst file. Once you done that, download and install Outlook Express on your same Windows XP computer and import that PST file to the same. Now create a new backup from Outlook Express in DBX file. Now you need to transfer this dbx files on the new vista system and import it with Windows Mail. It can read dbx files without any problem.

As far as thunderbird is concerned, there is an extension for the same named “ImportExportTools”. You just need to install this extension on your thunderbird and import the thunderbird backup to Windows Mail. You can download extension from here.

I don’t think Windows Mail can read pst files. What you can do is convert the backup in .CSV file format and import in Windows Mail. And for thunderbird you will need to go with import/export add-on and export the backup. If you get any problem doing the same, get help from someone to assist you.