Thread: Mail file access denied error on Windows Vista

Mail file access denied error on Windows Vista

I am using Outlook 2007 on Vista. Whenever I try to open write message by clicking on email I am getting access denied error. My mail account is configured in Outlook and it is the default one I am using from long time. This error started appearing recently. The error description says that I am not having full file permission to putlook1.pst.

Try to run that in admin account. I am sure you are using some limited on which you are getting that error. It is a clear permission problem. There is no other issue in your system. The write message box appear when you click on any email link and in limited account I do not think the system provides you full access for that process.

re: Mail file access denied error on Windows Vista

I had a similar problem and unjoined the system from the domain and rejoined it.
    Can't hurt to try

Set explicit NTFS permissions

I had this problem after I rebuilt my workstation. I was unable to open an old Outlook PST file using Outlook 2007. I kept getting the message:
    "File access is denied. You do not have the permission required to access the file D:\Email\archive.pst." I checked to make sure that the file was not read-only (it wasn't). I was able to resolve this by explicitly giving my user account NTFS 'full control' permissions. Even though my user account is a member of the local machine Administrators group, and this group has full control NTFS permissions on the file, this was not enough.

Set explicit NTFS permissions

I had this problem after I rebuilt my workstation. I was unable to open an old Outlook PST file using Outlook 2007. I kept getting the message:
    "File access is denied. You do not have the permission required to access the file D:\Email\archive.pst." I checked to make sure that the file was not read-only (it wasn't).

I was able to resolve this by explicitly giving my user account 'full control' NTFS permissions. Even though my user account is a member of the local machine Administrators group, and this group has full control NTFS permissions on the file, this was not enough.

re: Mail file access denied error on Windows Vista

To avoid having the message "File access is denied. You do not have the permission required to access the file D:\Email\archive.pst." being displayed in Outlook 2007,

Please follow the following steps and I am assuming that you are using Microsoft Vista: -

1) open the folder where your PST is located.

2) Right Click on your PST file (or files which you want Outlook 2007 to open).

3) Select Properties

4) Click on the Security Tab

5) Click on the Edit Button

6) Under the "Group or User Names" table, select Users.

7) Under the Permission for SYSTEM table, ensure Full Control is checked.

Now, try to execute Outlook 2007 and import your PST file. I am sure you would not have any more problems.