Thread: Setting MSN email as default email in Vista

Setting MSN email as default email in Vista

I am running Windows Vista on my new laptop. Whenever I click an email link from a website then always Windows Hotmail box pops up. So I was wondering how do I set the MSN mail to open email when I click on the link? How do i set it as default? I have already tried to go into default programs but I cannot see any options to change the mail settings, there is only one list showing with Windows Mail. Can anyone help me out please?

I dont think you can set MSN email as a default because when you click on an email link then immediately a function which is called the MAILTO protocol starts up. This feature is designed to work only with the email client program and not with the MSN browser that you are talking about which is not an email client. This is some of the drawbacks of web mail that everyone has to suffer and nothing can be done to it.

Try to follow the below steps and see if that can help:
    1. First of all you have to open the MSN Premium but dont just login yet.
    2. After that you need to simultaneously press CTRL + SHIFT + F9 keys on Keyboard.
    3. Now you have to click 'Yes Remove my information' on the next screen.
    4. After that you will get another screen asking if you want to remove all of you Email contact and Calendar information. Click 'Yes'.
    5. After that you have to close the MSN.
    6. Now try to sign in to MSN Premium again and 'click Mail and More'. You will get a Windows asking if you want to set MSN as your default Email Program. Click 'Yes'.

Hope that helps.

If you are not able to configure Windows Mail to use a web-based (HTTP) email account on a computer that is running Windows Vista then to fix this issue you have to use Windows Live Mail instead of Windows Mail to access a web-based (HTTP) email account. To download Windows Live Mail, go to the following Microsoft website: http://download.live.com/wlmail

Re: Setting MSN email as default email in Vista

well you have had 4 years or so to figure it out - hope you did, but if you didnt
    open msn home page
    click on "help and settings"
    click on "email settings"
    click on " email options"
    yeah I know "but it already says I am using msn as a default" - look closer to the bottom in blue type - use msn to sending and receive all mail
    click on that
    and no, do not clear out your msn account, restart your computer, close anything, you can spin around on your head a few times if you like
    now go find a email link on a page
    after it works send me an E thank you card perferable with a pic of you spinning on your head
    it will work with windows 7 as well