Thread: "windows mail could not be started"--from start window

"windows mail could not be started"--from start window

I was getting some error message when today I tried to open Windows Mail from the Start Menu but when I try to open it from the desktop shortcuts then it will open with the error. In any case below is the error message that I was getting:
    1. Windows Mail could not be started. The application was unable to open the Windows Mail message store. Your windows Mail mailbox data is currently being used by another program, such as a virus scanner. Close the program or wait for it to complete its operation, then open Windows Mail again. (0x800C0155)
    2. Windows Mail could not be started because MSOE.DLL could not be initialized.

I have checked that the virus scan is not running, so what could be the other issue, please help.

You didnt tell us which antivirus software you are using? Also you have to make sure that it is not set to scan email because it will conflict the the WinMail program. You can even try to press CTRL+ALT+DEL and try to look whether the WinMail.exe is in the running process list or so? If you find anything similar then immediately end its task and then try to open Windows Mail and check if it is opening properly. Incase you have Norton installed then completely uninstall it because it is one of the main root cause for the conflict with Windows Mail.

You can try to do a System Restore to a state when everything was working fine before, it will simply repair all the registry entries in your computer again. If the antivirus which you think is not the problem then you can even try to disable the firewall which might be there in your computer. Other thing that you can try is to go to Start and then in the Search bar type msconfig and then when a Window pops up, disable all the startup items including the non microsoft services and then restart your pc. After that check if Windows Mail is properly working, if it is then you can choose to try to enable startup items one by one at a time to see which program it is conflicting.