Thread: Wndows Mail Unknown Error

Wndows Mail Unknown Error

I am using windows mail as my default client to handle pop3 accounts. Am using this since a month now and never faced any problem in this period. Today when I wanted to delete a message from my inbox, I wasn’t able to delete it. Every time it says:

“An unknown error as occurred.”

Can someone here please help me deleting the same? What could be the reason for not getting deleted? Thank you.

It seems like your security programs has corrupted the Windows Mail files or folders. Which Antivirus are you using? If it is McAfee or Norton, the only solution is to uninstall them completely from the system. To remove them completely you will need removal tool that can be found on their official website. Once done, you can install some another antivirus like AVG free edition. It works good with windows mail.

Once you uninstalled these programs, go to mail’s Store Location (You can find the Store location by going to Windows Mail | Tools | Options | Advanced | Maintenance | Store Folder) and move everything you see in this location. Just do copy paste and save this folder on D Drive with some other name.

Now restart the computer, Start Windows mail. This will be completely new Windows mail with new store location files. Unfortunately you will need to create your accounts again but that is the only way.

There is a Microsoft Article with the solution for this problem. Though they have mentioned only Outbox in the title but that fix can applied for any folder in windows mail. Yeah, it is tested. Just open this URL http://support.microsoft.com/kb/941090, download the update and run on your system.

Thank you for sharing the same. It really helped me to get rid of the same. in my case the messages were able to delete but on the next startup they use to come automatically back to inbox. I applied the update given in KB and that fixed my problem.