Thread: Auto-complete email address problem in Windows Mail

Auto-complete email address problem in Windows Mail

This is my first ever Windows Vista computer and obviously it setup windows mail for the very first time. Well everything went fine, there were no error messages during the setup nor in receiving or sending mails except one email address.

I am trying to send an email to my brother whose email address is naxxxxxx@hotmail.com but it gets failed every time. The reason behind this is very funny and strange. Whenever I type just the first alphabet that is “n” windows mail takes the complete address itself but it is wrong. It types the email address as “naxx xxx xxx @hotmail. Com”. Yeah, it takes the address with spaces.

I checked my contacts and it was also with the spaces as mentioned above. I don’t know how it gone with spaces. Anyway, I deleted the contact and created a new with proper email address (without email address). I was sure that it Windows Mail’s AUTO COMPLETE feature will put the correct email address but surprisingly it still takes the same wrong email address with spaces though there is correct one in the contacts.

Any idea what is the problem and how can I fix it? Thanks in advance.

Re: Auto-complete email address problem in Windows Mail

Well buddy, you must know that the WM’s Auto Complete don’t pull the address from your contact list, it takes the address from the last 29 addresses you sent messages to. This use to be separate list of email address. So there are two ways to get rid of your problem.

First, you need to send 29 new email messages to any other correct email address so that this wrong (space) address gets skipped from this list. OR

Second, If you want to pull the email address from the contact list then instead of typing the email address or part of address in “TO” filed, simply click on Tools and Select Recipients after typing the new message in the message window. This will bring up the contact list where you can choose one you want to send.

Thanks a lot for the help and suggestions troy. I was really not aware of this. Though the solutions are good but don’t you think sending 29 fresh email address is bit wasting time. And second solution is bit time consuming. If there is no other better fix for this then I’ll surely go with the second one. But isn’t there any way we can get rid of this 29 recent email address? Isn’t there anyway to delete them?

Thanks again.

Yeah, there is a way using which you can remove this recently used email address but that requires a risk of editing registry because it used to be saved there. So if you want to take risk of the same, here it is:

Go to Start, type “regedit” and press Enter.
    Navigate to the following location:
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows Mail\Recently Used Addresses
    This is the key of recently used email address. You just need to delete it.

That’s it. Now there will be no auto complete email address unless you send one new message.