Thread: Error when open attachment of .doc, .xls, .ppt in WM message

Error when open attachment of .doc, .xls, .ppt in WM message

I have a HP Pavilion laptop which is loaded with Windows Vista. I am having a problem with the Windows Mail and getting error like "cannot open attachment". I have already tried numerous workarounds that is posted on different forums but nothing is working for me. When ever I try to open an attachment in an email message that would be either Excel spreadsheet (.xls) or Word document (.doc) or Powerpoint file (.ppt), then it wont open with its associated office applications and it also gives me an error message "Windows cannot find 'C:\Users\myuserid\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5\UYSODHL1\fubar.xls'. Make sure you typed the name correctly, and then try again." I have already deactivated virus scanning for incoming email in the Norton Internet Security software that I have but still to no avail. Is there anyone who can come with a different solution?

Did you make sure that Excel, PowerPoint and Word are properly installed on your computer? If they are installed then try to go to Windows Mail and then go to the Tools >> Options >> Security and then uncheck "Do not allow attachments". Hopefully, next time when you will open any office applications then you wont get the same error message.

I was having the same trouble but have found the cause of the issue. Since I was also having Norton Internet Security installed in my machine which came pre-installed on my new laptop, I went into Classic Windows Start Menu and then clicked on Start and in the search bar typed msconfig. After that I chose "Selective Startup" tab and then checked the "Load system services" and applied it and clicked ok to close the window. After that I restarted the machine and then upon bootup when I ran Windows Nail then I was able to open the doc, ppt and xls file attachments without any issues. Hope this helps anyone else who is facing this same problem.