Thread: Windows Mail asking for user id & password

Windows Mail asking for user id & password

Hello I am using Windows Mail from quiet a long time before I got my hands on Vista. From past few days I am having very strange problem with my Windows Mail. When I start my Windows Mail it keep on asking for my User ID and password, When I enter all the details I am getting a error message: Account: 'pop.mail.yahoo.com', Server: 'pop.mail.yahoo.com', Protocol: POP3, Server Response: '-ERR [AUTH] invalid user/password', Port: 995, Secure(SSL): Yes, Server Error: 0x800CCC90, Error Number: 0x800CCC92"".

I have other email account of yahoo, I am still able to access it via Internet Explorer. Even I have deleted my account and added it again, Even I have make sure that the "my server requires authentication". I have turned off Antivirus scanning for email. My server ports numbers are 587 & 995. I have manually changed them 465 & 995, and now get the error message:""Your server has unexpectedly terminated the connection. Possible causes for this include server problems, network problems, or a long period of inactivity. Account: 'pop.mail.yahoo.com', Server: pop.mail.yahoo.com', Protocol: POP3, Port: 995, Secure(SSL): No, Socket Error: 10053, Error Number: 0x800CCC0F"

Can you please help I am not sure what I am doing ?

Re: Windows Mail asking for user id & password

Well in your second case or error message, You cannot use port 995 without enabling SSL option. The previous error message its pretty critical. I think this could be because wrong server name or by Antivirus.

A critical piece of information that you didn't supply is that your problem is apparently with a paid Yahoo account, also known as 'Mail Plus'. The Mail Plus service has had its own servers for a number of years,
    and Yahoo may finally have gotten around to shutting down the older servers you are using. Try the server info given here: http://help.yahoo.com/l/us/yahoo/mai...op/pop-14.html

If you are not able to resolve your problem then please let us know your latest error message.

Re: Windows Mail asking for user id & password

I truly do not understand why Bill Gates is a billionaire. I have been using Windows Mail, with AVG running, for a long time. Suddenly, out of the blue, I get this Windows Security message asking for a User Name and Password. Why!? Nothing has been changed on my machine. Nothing. And, the worst part is, one website used to the have an actual solution that works posted, but Microsoft deleted it, because it is a violation to provide a work around for a password issue. Really? So, I can't check my email without stopping Windows Security, and Bill Gates says that I can't have the answer to how to fix the problem!?!? My husband has been pestering me to buy a Mac for a long, long time. I think it's time.