Thread: Fixing "Command Failed to Execute" on attachments

Fixing "Command Failed to Execute" on attachments

I am running Windows Vista with Internet Explorer 8 on my computer. If anyone is facing the error that is described in the title of the post then they simply click on Start and then go to All Programs and then right click on Windows Mail which is under All Programs and not on the start menu and then select its properties. Here you can see the value "Start in" is set to %UserProfile% which wont work to cure this problem because opening an attachment will not be able to save the attachment to a temporary file on that folder. But when I changed it to "%UserProfile%\Local Settings\Temp" then it worked like a charm. Other way to fix this issue is just by clearing up "Start in:" and remove the value which will also resolve the problem. Hope this helps.

As I can see, the workaround that you have posted is just really a temporary solution. When I perform the same on my machine then it simply reduces the problem because if I try to open the JPG and TXT attachments then I can still see that it is not opening properly. Sometimes the solution works with the file types that I have mentioned here but again the same problem arises all of a sudden.

Somebody told me that uninstalling Internet Explorer 8 worked for many but in my case it is not working for me. Also when I removed the "Start In" value from the link, then I simply pushed a copy of the shortcut to the system tray area which is where I used to start the email client from. And therefore when I click on the shortcut to start the client then I dont have to face the same problem most of the time. But other times when I try to open the attachment then I get the same problem. So, it seems to me that this is not a proper fix to this issue but can be temporary solution which works at sometime but other times it doesnt.

People need to make sure that they are properly editing the shortcut which is mentioned. Another thingas that can be done is to clear the temporary internet files by going into Tools and then Internet options in Internet Explorer 8 and then restart the browser. Also make sure that the security option to prevent opening or saving attachments is not selected, by going into Tools Menu >> Options >> Security Tab.