Thread: please verify username and password are correct...

please verify username and password are correct...

I am using Windows mail for pop3 account on Vista computer. Have setup an AOL account through IMAP on the same. But it always gives me an error saying “Please verify that both the username and password are correct for your mail server.”. No matter how many times I enter correct username and password, I keep getting the same.

Also when I click OK or cancel this error, it gives me the following
    “Account: 'IMAP.aol.com (1)', Server: 'IMAP.aol.com', Protocol: POP3, Server Response: '-ERR Bad login. Incorrect name and/or password, please re-enter.', Port: 110, Secure(SSL): No, Server Error: 0x800CCC90, Error Number: 0x800CCC92”
    I tried to find out solution from various other threads available on this forum but none of them worked for me.

Re: please verify username and password are correct...

Hey buddy, you are not alone. Even am stuck with very similar error message. In most of the discussion for the same error, they have mentioned to disable or uninstall their Antivirus and they have most pointed Norton as well as McAfee. But in my case it is Trend Micro and am using this since a year on this same pc and windows mail was working fine so far. My problem started just a week ago. Thought I disabled Trend Micro but that doesn’t helped.

I even tried configuring the settings in Windows Live mail but there too getting the same problem. Its my AOL account. Any help will be appreciated.

Wow, you seem to have copied my entire system as mine is also trend micro. Anyways, In my case as well disabling the antivirus wont helped. Still getting the incorrect username and password error.

Finally I downloaded and installed Windows live mail and these are my settings:

Configuration:
    • Account: IMAP.aol.com
    • Server: IMAP.aol.com
    • User name: Mary Gorman
    • Protocol: IMAP
    • Port: 143
    • Secure(SSL): 0
    • Code: 800cccd1

After doing this atleast am able to connect to my secure wireless network either. But started getting new error saying “the wireless network security key is not correct.” Am just frustrated and thing to go back to Windows XP with Outlook. I was very happy with that.

If am not wrong, I guess the problem is in “User name: Mary Gorman”. I have never seen any username (where it use to be email address) with SPACE character.

So this is the problem. You are entering wrong username dude. It should be your aol email address.