Thread: SMTP server not responding

SMTP server not responding

Using Windows Mail on Vista Laptop. It works fine until I send pictures or Movies as attachment. Whenever I attach any of these and click on Send button, I get the following error:

“Your SMTP server has not responded in 60 seconds. Would you like to wait another 60 seconds for the server to respond?”

Worst part is that I wait 60seconds and click Ok and again I get the box immediately for more 60 seconds, and on and on. This keeps on going for an hour and finally the box disappears.

Any idea what’s the problem?

Re: SMTP server not responding

There could be two reasons for the error you have mentioned. First, there use to be the attachment size limit set by your ISP. So first confirm them about the size and make sure the attachment size won’t exceed the limit. And second reason would be your Security or Firewall programs.

Just make sure that the Email scanning is disabled and the mail attachment is allowed through the firewall. If yet you get the same problem than simply download/upgrade to Windows Live Mail. There wont be any such problem again. You can download Windows Live Mail from here: http://get.live.com/wlmail/overview

Re: SMTP server not responding

Thanks a lot Scott. My attachments were too small than the limitation set by my ISP. Also email scanning was already turned off in the Antivirus. BTW, i upgraded now to Windows Live Mail as suggested by you and everything is working fine without any problem. Thank you.