Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 31 to 35 of 35

Thread: This Computer has not reported status yet

  1. #31
    DaveMills Guest

    Re: This Computer has not reported status yet

    On Fri, 8 Aug 2008 06:58:08 -0700 (PDT), jwchoo@gmail.com wrote:

    >On Aug 8, 5:08*am, DaveMills <DaveMi...@newsgroup.nospam> wrote:
    >> On Thu, 7 Aug 2008 16:03:27 -0700 (PDT), jwc...@gmail.com wrote:
    >> >I am happy to report I have got it working. Clients are reporting and
    >> >getting updates. The only issue now is they are not populating the
    >> >WSUS Computer Groups as in GP OUs.

    >>
    >> Two possibilities:
    >> 1) The client is not being told which group to use in the GPO or the spelling of
    >> the group does not match that is WSUS console.
    >> 2) The WSUS server is not set to use Client Side Targeting.
    >>
    >> > I followed instructions from
    >> >http://kbalertz.com/920659/Microsoft...ate-Services-S....
    >> >To summarise what I have done:-
    >> >1. check the correct level of permission, ISUR_IISserver user for all
    >> >the relevant folders. and anonynous user is checked on the Default
    >> >Website.
    >> >2. IP address is Unassign for Default website

    >>
    >> >Thank for all the help
    >> >Jeremy

    >>
    >> --
    >> Dave Mills
    >> There are 10 type of people, those that understand binary and those that don't.

    >
    >Dave
    >
    >I have Client side targeting setup. The OUs are nested like
    >1. Client systems\XP\Workstations
    >2. Client systems\XP\Laptops
    >
    >How do I name them in GP ?

    Use the setting in the WSUS policy settings
    Computer\Windows Components\Windows Update\Target group name for this computer

    You can either create a separate GPO for Laptops and Workstations with all the
    setting you need for each.

    or

    Create a GPO for XP with all the settings for all sub OUs and then have other
    GPO for Loptops OU etc which supply just the different settings such as
    groupname etc.

    You decide which, is it easier to have central setting for everything and
    overwrite these with the exception or just have totally separate GPOs and have
    to make change in all if something changes.
    I would definitely have WSUS setting in a GPO or their own and not added to
    Workstation Settings or Laptop Settings. It is too hard to maintain otherwise.


    >
    >Jeremy

    --
    Dave Mills
    There are 10 type of people, those that understand binary and those that don't.

  2. #32
    jwchoo@gmail.com Guest

    Re: This Computer has not reported status yet

    On Aug 9, 12:44*pm, DaveMills <DaveMi...@newsgroup.nospam> wrote:
    > On Fri, 8 Aug 2008 06:58:08 -0700 (PDT), jwc...@gmail.com wrote:
    > >On Aug 8, 5:08*am, DaveMills <DaveMi...@newsgroup.nospam> wrote:
    > >> On Thu, 7 Aug 2008 16:03:27 -0700 (PDT), jwc...@gmail.com wrote:
    > >> >I am happy to report I have got it working. Clients are reporting and
    > >> >getting updates. The only issue now is they are not populating the
    > >> >WSUS Computer Groups as in GP OUs.

    >
    > >> Two possibilities:
    > >> 1) The client is not being told which group to use in the GPO or the spelling of
    > >> the group does not match that is WSUS console.
    > >> 2) The WSUS server is not set to use Client Side Targeting.

    >
    > >> > I followed instructions from
    > >> >http://kbalertz.com/920659/Microsoft...ate-Services-S.....
    > >> >To summarise what I have done:-
    > >> >1. check the correct level of permission, ISUR_IISserver user for all
    > >> >the relevant folders. and anonynous user is checked on the Default
    > >> >Website.
    > >> >2. IP address is Unassign for Default website

    >
    > >> >Thank for all the help
    > >> >Jeremy

    >
    > >> --
    > >> Dave Mills
    > >> There are 10 type of people, those that understand binary and those that don't.

    >
    > >Dave

    >
    > >I have Client side targeting setup. The OUs are nested like
    > >1. Client systems\XP\Workstations
    > >2. Client systems\XP\Laptops

    >
    > >How do I name them in GP ?

    >
    > Use the setting in the WSUS policy settings
    > *Computer\Windows Components\Windows Update\Target group name for this computer
    >
    > You can either create a separate GPO for Laptops and Workstations with all the
    > setting you need for each.
    >
    > or
    >
    > Create a GPO for XP with all the settings for all sub OUs and then have other
    > GPO for Loptops OU etc which supply just the different settings such as
    > groupname etc.
    >
    > You decide which, is it easier to have central setting for everything and
    > overwrite these with the exception or just have totally separate GPOs andhave
    > to make change in all if something changes.
    > I would definitely have WSUS setting in a GPO or their own and not added to
    > Workstation Settings or Laptop Settings. It is too hard to maintain otherwise.
    >
    >
    >
    > >Jeremy

    >
    > --
    > Dave Mills
    > There are 10 type of people, those that understand binary and those that don't.- Hide quoted text -
    >
    > - Show quoted text -


    I have done Computer\Windows Components\Windows Update\Target group
    name for this computer
    all the groups but still the same - not populating the groups as the
    ones in Group Policy.

    Jeremy

  3. #33
    DaveMills Guest

    Re: This Computer has not reported status yet

    On Tue, 12 Aug 2008 09:20:15 -0700 (PDT), jwchoo@gmail.com wrote:

    >On Aug 9, 12:44*pm, DaveMills <DaveMi...@newsgroup.nospam> wrote:
    >> On Fri, 8 Aug 2008 06:58:08 -0700 (PDT), jwc...@gmail.com wrote:
    >> >On Aug 8, 5:08*am, DaveMills <DaveMi...@newsgroup.nospam> wrote:
    >> >> On Thu, 7 Aug 2008 16:03:27 -0700 (PDT), jwc...@gmail.com wrote:
    >> >> >I am happy to report I have got it working. Clients are reporting and
    >> >> >getting updates. The only issue now is they are not populating the
    >> >> >WSUS Computer Groups as in GP OUs.

    >>
    >> >> Two possibilities:
    >> >> 1) The client is not being told which group to use in the GPO or the spelling of
    >> >> the group does not match that is WSUS console.
    >> >> 2) The WSUS server is not set to use Client Side Targeting.

    >>
    >> >> > I followed instructions from
    >> >> >http://kbalertz.com/920659/Microsoft...ate-Services-S....
    >> >> >To summarise what I have done:-
    >> >> >1. check the correct level of permission, ISUR_IISserver user for all
    >> >> >the relevant folders. and anonynous user is checked on the Default
    >> >> >Website.
    >> >> >2. IP address is Unassign for Default website

    >>
    >> >> >Thank for all the help
    >> >> >Jeremy

    >>
    >> >> --
    >> >> Dave Mills
    >> >> There are 10 type of people, those that understand binary and those that don't.

    >>
    >> >Dave

    >>
    >> >I have Client side targeting setup. The OUs are nested like
    >> >1. Client systems\XP\Workstations
    >> >2. Client systems\XP\Laptops

    >>
    >> >How do I name them in GP ?

    >>
    >> Use the setting in the WSUS policy settings
    >> *Computer\Windows Components\Windows Update\Target group name for this computer
    >>
    >> You can either create a separate GPO for Laptops and Workstations with all the
    >> setting you need for each.
    >>
    >> or
    >>
    >> Create a GPO for XP with all the settings for all sub OUs and then have other
    >> GPO for Loptops OU etc which supply just the different settings such as
    >> groupname etc.
    >>
    >> You decide which, is it easier to have central setting for everything and
    >> overwrite these with the exception or just have totally separate GPOs and have
    >> to make change in all if something changes.
    >> I would definitely have WSUS setting in a GPO or their own and not added to
    >> Workstation Settings or Laptop Settings. It is too hard to maintain otherwise.
    >>
    >>
    >>
    >> >Jeremy

    >>
    >> --
    >> Dave Mills
    >> There are 10 type of people, those that understand binary and those that don't.- Hide quoted text -
    >>
    >> - Show quoted text -

    >
    >I have done Computer\Windows Components\Windows Update\Target group
    >name for this computer
    >all the groups but still the same - not populating the groups as the
    >ones in Group Policy.


    What does WindowsUpdate.log say the client is getting for "Target Group"

    >
    >Jeremy

    --
    Dave Mills
    There are 10 type of people, those that understand binary and those that don't.

  4. #34
    Harry Johnston [MVP] Guest

    Re: This Computer has not reported status yet

    jwchoo@gmail.com wrote:

    > I have Client side targeting setup. The OUs are nested like
    > 1. Client systems\XP\Workstations
    > 2. Client systems\XP\Laptops
    >
    > How do I name them in GP ?


    I believe you should specify Workstations and Laptops respectively, i.e., ignore
    the nesting entirely and only specify the last component. I may be
    misremembering, I don't do this routinely - but it's worth a try. :-)

    Harry.

    --
    Boycott Beijing 2008 http://www.rsf.org/rubrique.php3?id_rubrique=174

  5. #35
    jwchoo@gmail.com Guest

    Re: This Computer has not reported status yet

    On Aug 14, 1:18*am, "Harry Johnston [MVP]" <ha...@scms.waikato.ac.nz>
    wrote:
    > jwc...@gmail.com wrote:
    > > I have Client side targeting setup. The OUs are nested like
    > > 1. Client systems\XP\Workstations
    > > 2. Client systems\XP\Laptops

    >
    > > How do I name them in GP ?

    >
    > I believe you should specify Workstations and Laptops respectively, i.e.,ignore
    > the nesting entirely and only specify the last component. *I may be
    > misremembering, I don't do this routinely - but it's worth a try. :-)
    >
    > * *Harry.
    >
    > --
    > Boycott Beijing 2008http://www.rsf.org/rubrique.php3?id_rubrique=174


    ok I will give it a try. Thanks
    Jeremy

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Similar Threads

  1. Most WSUS clients show status 'Not yet reported'
    By purvagarg in forum Server Update Service
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 07-01-2014, 08:47 AM
  2. Replies: 8
    Last Post: 06-02-2012, 06:40 PM
  3. Computer Status Montoiring Program
    By Pwlngs in forum Software Development
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 23-12-2009, 08:07 AM
  4. Replies: 34
    Last Post: 31-10-2008, 11:43 PM
  5. Replies: 5
    Last Post: 03-11-2004, 11:46 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •