Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Automatic updates stopped working after SP3 has been installed

  1. #1
    Alexander Guest

    Automatic updates stopped working after SP3 has been installed

    We have a corporate WSUS server that all workstations use for getting
    updates.

    After installing SP3 on a new Windows XP box, that box stopped getting
    updates. Its WindowsUpdate.log contains SOAP errors:
    I've tried to delete SusCliendId from workstation's registry,
    SoftwareDistribution folder from workstation's Windows folder - nothing
    helps.

    All other workstations in AD domain are updating from that WSUS server
    perfectly.

  2. #2
    Eddie Bowers [MSFT] Guest
    Try this.
    net stop wuauserv
    net stop bits
    rename the c:\windows\software distribution folder
    net start bits
    net start wuauserv

    If this doesn't fix it, then force a reinstall of the agent by downloading
    http://download.windowsupdate.com/Wi...one/7.1.6001.6
    5/WindowsUpdateAgent30-x86.exe
    and installing with the /wuforce switch

  3. #3
    Alexander Guest

    Re: Automatic updates stopped working after SP3 has been installed

    I suppose, this is a problem on a server side, since it looks like a
    duplicate key in database:
    2008-06-03 15:07:46.561 UTC Error w3wp.6 ClientImplementation.SyncUpdates
    System.ArgumentException: Item has already been added. Key in dictionary:
    '19202' Key being added: '19202'
    at System.Collections.Hashtable.Insert(Object key, Object nvalue, Boolean
    add)
    ....

    If you have any other suggestions, please, let me know!

  4. #4
    Eddie Bowers [MSFT] Guest
    How about this:
    net stop wuauserv

    Delete the following registry keys:
    HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\WindowsUpdate\PingID
    HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\WindowsUpdate\AccountDomainSi
    d
    HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\WindowsUpdate\SusClientId

    net start wuauserv
    wuauclt.exe /resetauthorization /detectnow

    Is this the ONLY client machine that has this problem?
    Most of the time this is a WSUS server side problem, but that would cause
    all of your clients to fail.
    How many computers check into your WSUS server?

    OK, well lets try the shotgun approach to see what happnes. Run my tool
    from:
    http:\\www.codeplex.com\aureset

  5. #5
    Alexander Guest
    Just tried your suggestion. Since there are no PingID and AccountDomainSid,
    I've deleted SusClientId only.
    Not helped either

    Looks like I've discovered the sequence of actions that led to the current
    issue:
    1. After installing SP3 warnings and soap errors came up
    2. One of our IT support guys deleted SusClientId instead of removing
    SoftwareDistribution folder
    3. And now nothing helps

    Any other thoughts?

    It appears, there are two more clients that have such a problem: Windows
    2000 SP4 and Windows XP SP1.
    In total, there are approx. 50 computers that use WSUS server.

    This didn't help unfortunately. Do you need me to send generated log files
    somewhere?

    Please, mention, that couple of antiviruses thinks your software is a virus:
    http://www.virustotal.com/analisis/e...f8502edd0fa454

  6. #6
    Eddie Bowers [MSFT] Guest

    Re: Automatic updates stopped working after SP3 has been installed

    Are the machines getting the error below on the same network segment as
    those not getting the error?
    ( WARNING: SyncUpdates failure, error = 0x8024400E, soap client error = 7,
    soap error code = 400)

    The logs that the tool generates probably are not going to help with this.
    I think at this point we would have to get a network trace and have you
    open a case with us so we can really dig into it.

    Thanks for the VirusTotal link. Thats interesting. I can see how what it
    does would look suspect.

  7. #7
    APlus Guest
    I have the same problem:

    WindowsUpdate.log shows:
    WARNING: SyncUpdates failure, error = 0x8024400E, soap client error = 7,
    soap error code = 400, HTTP status code = 200
    WARNING: SOAP Fault: 0x000190

    SoftwareDistribution.log shows:
    Error w3wp.5 ClientImplementation.SyncUpdates System.ArgumentException:
    Item has already been added. Key in dictionary: '8135' Key being added:
    '8135'

    Nothing helps, already tried:
    1) wuauclt.exe /resetauthorization /detectnow
    2) Deleted SoftwareDistribution Folder
    3) WindowsUpdateAgent30-x86.exe /wuforce
    4) Deleted SusClientId and Validation Registry Keys

    It looks like a server side problem...

    Any help is appreciated!

  8. #8
    Happy russian admin Guest
    The problem on the server side with declined (!) "Office 2003 Service Pack
    1" update.
    I've solved it by redecline the update.

    Redecline (aprove and decline) the now declined update "Office 2003 Service
    Pack 1" on the server side.

  9. #9
    Shenan Stanley Guest
    How do I reset Windows Update components?
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/971058

    ....how to obtain the latest Windows Update Agent [v7.4.7600.226; Aug-09]
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/946928

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 9
    Last Post: 24-03-2012, 08:00 PM
  2. Replies: 6
    Last Post: 06-07-2011, 09:22 PM
  3. Mouse stopped working correctly after VMware tools were installed
    By Macadrian in forum Hardware Peripherals
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 13-09-2010, 01:31 PM
  4. USB ports stopped working after Windows updates
    By Candace in forum Vista Hardware Devices
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 10-06-2009, 02:39 AM
  5. Replies: 5
    Last Post: 26-06-2008, 07:37 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •