Go Back   TechArena Community > Technical Support > Computer Help > Windows XP > Windows Update
Become a Member!
Forgot your username/password?
Tags Active Topics RSS Search Mark Forums Read

Sponsored Links



Win XP SP3 problem after install

Windows Update


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
  #1  
Old 09-05-2008
AngelaJo
 
Posts: n/a
Win XP SP3 problem after install

I have a user that reported that the download and installation of SP3 seemed
to go smoothly (no errors during download or install), but when she rebooted
and got back into her PC she didn't have access to the internet. Also, she
was unable to start her ZoneAlarm application...she got an error indicating
that she didn't have privileges to access the location.

Anyone else getting this?

Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 09-05-2008
Jerry
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Win XP SP3 problem after install

Not here - installed and all programs are running just fine; on a Pro and a
Home system.

"AngelaJo" <AngelaJo@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:BDD386F4-5A97-4FC6-9386-32F6253B216C@microsoft.com...
>I have a user that reported that the download and installation of SP3
>seemed
> to go smoothly (no errors during download or install), but when she
> rebooted
> and got back into her PC she didn't have access to the internet. Also,
> she
> was unable to start her ZoneAlarm application...she got an error
> indicating
> that she didn't have privileges to access the location.
>
> Anyone else getting this?



Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 09-05-2008
MowGreen [MVP]
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Win XP SP3 problem after install

IF Zone Alarm Pro was the firewall being used during the download and
installation of SP3 then I'd suggest you have the User uninstall SP3 first.
After SP3 is uninstalled and the system has reverted back to SP2,
uninstall ZA Pro, ensure the native XP firewall has been Enabled, and
reinstall SP3.

Please see this prior to attempting the reinstallation of SP3:

Steps to take before you install Windows XP Service Pack 3
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/950717

IF the system still has connectivity issues after the uninstallation of
SP3 and the subsequent uninstall of ZA Pro, try a repair of the Winsock
stack.
From a Command Prompt [Start> Run > type in cmd, click OK], enter these
command pressing Enter after *each one*

netsh winsock reset
exit

Restart and connectivity should be restored.

MowGreen [MVP 2003-2008]
===============
*-343-* FDNY
Never Forgotten
===============


AngelaJo wrote:

> I have a user that reported that the download and installation of SP3 seemed
> to go smoothly (no errors during download or install), but when she rebooted
> and got back into her PC she didn't have access to the internet. Also, she
> was unable to start her ZoneAlarm application...she got an error indicating
> that she didn't have privileges to access the location.
>
> Anyone else getting this?

Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 09-05-2008
AngelaJo
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Win XP SP3 problem after install

Thanks for the posts. I have updated 5 computers here on site and haven't
had one problem. The computer that experienced problems is not on site, so I
have to rely on the user to tell me that the download/install went properly.

They are using the Free version of ZoneAlarm, not Pro. I'll have her
uninstall ZoneAlarm and try again.


"MowGreen [MVP]" wrote:

> IF Zone Alarm Pro was the firewall being used during the download and
> installation of SP3 then I'd suggest you have the User uninstall SP3 first.
> After SP3 is uninstalled and the system has reverted back to SP2,
> uninstall ZA Pro, ensure the native XP firewall has been Enabled, and
> reinstall SP3.
>
> Please see this prior to attempting the reinstallation of SP3:
>
> Steps to take before you install Windows XP Service Pack 3
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/950717
>
> IF the system still has connectivity issues after the uninstallation of
> SP3 and the subsequent uninstall of ZA Pro, try a repair of the Winsock
> stack.
> From a Command Prompt [Start> Run > type in cmd, click OK], enter these
> command pressing Enter after *each one*
>
> netsh winsock reset
> exit
>
> Restart and connectivity should be restored.
>
> MowGreen [MVP 2003-2008]
> ===============
> *-343-* FDNY
> Never Forgotten
> ===============
>
>
> AngelaJo wrote:
>
> > I have a user that reported that the download and installation of SP3 seemed
> > to go smoothly (no errors during download or install), but when she rebooted
> > and got back into her PC she didn't have access to the internet. Also, she
> > was unable to start her ZoneAlarm application...she got an error indicating
> > that she didn't have privileges to access the location.
> >
> > Anyone else getting this?

>

Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 09-05-2008
PA Bear [MS MVP]
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Win XP SP3 problem after install

ZA Pro or Free?

Was ZA enabled when SP3 was downloaded/installed?
--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
MS MVP-IE, Mail, Security, Windows Desktop Experience - since 2002
AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
DTS-L http://dts-l.net/


AngelaJo wrote:
> I have a user that reported that the download and installation of SP3
> seemed
> to go smoothly (no errors during download or install), but when she
> rebooted
> and got back into her PC she didn't have access to the internet. Also,
> she
> was unable to start her ZoneAlarm application...she got an error
> indicating
> that she didn't have privileges to access the location.
>
> Anyone else getting this?


Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 09-05-2008
ted
 
Posts: n/a
RE: Win XP SP3 problem after install



"AngelaJo" wrote:

> I have a user that reported that the download and installation of SP3 seemed
> to go smoothly (no errors during download or install), but when she rebooted
> and got back into her PC she didn't have access to the internet. Also, she
> was unable to start her ZoneAlarm application...she got an error indicating
> that she didn't have privileges to access the location.
>
> Anyone else getting this?



I also have the same problem with zone alarm free on sp3 and xp pro. no
access to the net because zone alarm cannot start because of access
privileges. cannot manually start zone alarm because of same privilege
message. same setup on xp home was trouble free. reverting back to sp2
restores access to the net.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 09-05-2008
PA Bear [MS MVP]
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Win XP SP3 problem after install

ted wrote:

>> I have a user that reported that the download and installation of SP3
>> seemed to go smoothly (no errors during download or install), but when
>> she
>> rebooted and got back into her PC she didn't have access to the internet.
>> Also, she was unable to start her ZoneAlarm application...she got an
>> error
>> indicating that she didn't have privileges to access the location.
>>
>> Anyone else getting this?

>
> I also have the same problem with zone alarm free on sp3 and xp pro. no
> access to the net because zone alarm cannot start because of access
> privileges. cannot manually start zone alarm because of same privilege
> message. same setup on xp home was trouble free. reverting back to sp2
> restores access to the net.


And if you uninstall ZA Free and enable the Windows Firewall before you
install SP3...?

Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 10-05-2008
ted
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Win XP SP3 problem after install



"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> ted wrote:
>
> >> I have a user that reported that the download and installation of SP3
> >> seemed to go smoothly (no errors during download or install), but when
> >> she
> >> rebooted and got back into her PC she didn't have access to the internet.
> >> Also, she was unable to start her ZoneAlarm application...she got an
> >> error
> >> indicating that she didn't have privileges to access the location.
> >>
> >> Anyone else getting this?

> >
> > I also have the same problem with zone alarm free on sp3 and xp pro. no
> > access to the net because zone alarm cannot start because of access
> > privileges. cannot manually start zone alarm because of same privilege
> > message. same setup on xp home was trouble free. reverting back to sp2
> > restores access to the net.

>
> And if you uninstall ZA Free and enable the Windows Firewall before you
> install SP3...?
>
>


I have not tried that yet. I did try downloading the full 315mb sp3
package, then booting into safe mode (without networking) and installing sp3.
I thought that this was the easiest way to get zone alarm out of the
picture. After the successful installation, I rebooted and had the same
results as before. everything looked normal except zone alarm could not load
because of access priviliges so no access to the net. What puzzled me was my
xp home machine upgraded just fine (same zone alarm setup) but the xp pro has
the problem. I have tried 3 times in various ways to put sp3 on the xp pro
machine but reverted back to sp2 each time to restore access to the net. Any
other ideas except uninstalling zone alarm, upgrading, and then reinstalling
zone alarm?
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 10-05-2008
Alan
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Win XP SP3 problem after install

Hi AngelaJo,

I'm losing connectivity -- I use a wireless Netgear adapter -- to the
Internet after installing SP3, although it hasn't been immediately apparent.

Earlier this week, I first thought it was due to AVG 7.5 / AVG 8.0 issues.

However, overnight I lost connectivity again for no apparent reason, and
after spending an hour this morning uninstalling/reinstalling AVG and the
Netgear software -- and still being unable to get Internet connectivity -- I
finally just uninstalled SP3.

I'll continue using SP2 for a while.

Alan

"AngelaJo" <AngelaJo@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:BDD386F4-5A97-4FC6-9386-32F6253B216C@microsoft.com...
>I have a user that reported that the download and installation of SP3
>seemed
> to go smoothly (no errors during download or install), but when she
> rebooted
> and got back into her PC she didn't have access to the internet. Also,
> she
> was unable to start her ZoneAlarm application...she got an error
> indicating
> that she didn't have privileges to access the location.
>
> Anyone else getting this?



Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 13-05-2008
AngelaJo
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Win XP SP3 problem after install

I have not been able to get my user in Michigan to try downloading SP3 again.
She is our controller/accountant and is pretty busy right now.

I have a spare laptop that I'm going to try upgrading to SP3, but I honestly
don't think it is going to be a problem. The only problem we have had on our
in house computers is that my boss had to unplug his mouse, reboot his
machine, plug it back in (usb) and all was well.

I am wondering though, does this service pack behave differently according
to the age of your computer ? One employee here had to reformat her home
computer after installing SP3. After the install, it went into a reboot
loop. When she finally got into safe mode...she wasn't able to use the arrow
keys to select how she wanted to reboot...so she reformatted. ??

"Alan" wrote:

> Hi AngelaJo,
>
> I'm losing connectivity -- I use a wireless Netgear adapter -- to the
> Internet after installing SP3, although it hasn't been immediately apparent.
>
> Earlier this week, I first thought it was due to AVG 7.5 / AVG 8.0 issues.
>
> However, overnight I lost connectivity again for no apparent reason, and
> after spending an hour this morning uninstalling/reinstalling AVG and the
> Netgear software -- and still being unable to get Internet connectivity -- I
> finally just uninstalled SP3.
>
> I'll continue using SP2 for a while.
>
> Alan
>
> "AngelaJo" <AngelaJo@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> news:BDD386F4-5A97-4FC6-9386-32F6253B216C@microsoft.com...
> >I have a user that reported that the download and installation of SP3
> >seemed
> > to go smoothly (no errors during download or install), but when she
> > rebooted
> > and got back into her PC she didn't have access to the internet. Also,
> > she
> > was unable to start her ZoneAlarm application...she got an error
> > indicating
> > that she didn't have privileges to access the location.
> >
> > Anyone else getting this?

>
>
>

Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 13-05-2008
PA Bear [MS MVP]
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Win XP SP3 problem after install

No.
======================================
Continual reboots or can only boot into Safe Mode after installing WinXP
SP3?

Workarounds:

1. Boot into Safe Mode and rename INTELPMM.SYS to INTELPMM.OLD.

2. After booting into Safe Mode:

Start | Run | (copy/paste) sc config intelppm start= disabled | OK | Reboot
into normal (Windows) mode.

Other references include:

• http://aumha.net/viewtopic.php?p=187790#p187790

•
http://msinfluentials.com/blogs/jesp...ng-xp-sp3.aspx

• http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/05...boots_crashes/

•
http://www.computerworld.com/action/...icleId=9084418

• You receive a “Stop 0x0000007E” error message after you upgrade to Windows
XP Service Pack 2 or Service Pack 3 on a non-Intel-processor-based computer
(Revised 06 May-08)
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/888372
--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
MS MVP-IE, Mail, Security, Windows Desktop Experience - since 2002
AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
DTS-L http://dts-l.net/


AngelaJo wrote:
<snip>
> I am wondering though, does this service pack behave differently according
> to the age of your computer ? One employee here had to reformat her home
> computer after installing SP3. After the install, it went into a reboot
> loop. When she finally got into safe mode...she wasn't able to use the
> arrow keys to select how she wanted to reboot...so she reformatted. ??
>
> "Alan" wrote:
>
>> Hi AngelaJo,
>>
>> I'm losing connectivity -- I use a wireless Netgear adapter -- to the
>> Internet after installing SP3, although it hasn't been immediately
>> apparent.
>>
>> Earlier this week, I first thought it was due to AVG 7.5 / AVG 8.0
>> issues.
>>
>> However, overnight I lost connectivity again for no apparent reason, and
>> after spending an hour this morning uninstalling/reinstalling AVG and the
>> Netgear software -- and still being unable to get Internet
>> connectivity --
>> I finally just uninstalled SP3.
>>
>> I'll continue using SP2 for a while.
>>
>> Alan
>>
>> "AngelaJo" <AngelaJo@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> news:BDD386F4-5A97-4FC6-9386-32F6253B216C@microsoft.com...
>>> I have a user that reported that the download and installation of SP3
>>> seemed
>>> to go smoothly (no errors during download or install), but when she
>>> rebooted
>>> and got back into her PC she didn't have access to the internet. Also,
>>> she
>>> was unable to start her ZoneAlarm application...she got an error
>>> indicating
>>> that she didn't have privileges to access the location.
>>>
>>> Anyone else getting this?


Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 13-05-2008
Alan
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Win XP SP3 problem after install

AngelaJo,

In my case, while I had connectivity issues on my newer computer -- a Dell
Dimension E520 using a Netgear 802.11g adapter -- my almost 7 year old Dell
Dimension 2300 with a Netgear 802.11b adapter has had no connectivity issues
at all using SP3.

Alan

"AngelaJo" <AngelaJo@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:5D7A8809-3706-48A3-9306-7DAADE4F0159@microsoft.com...>

> I am wondering though, does this service pack behave differently according
> to the age of your computer ? One employee here had to reformat her home
> computer after installing SP3. After the install, it went into a reboot
> loop. When she finally got into safe mode...she wasn't able to use the
> arrow
> keys to select how she wanted to reboot...so she reformatted. ??
>
> "Alan" wrote:
>
>> Hi AngelaJo,
>>
>> I'm losing connectivity -- I use a wireless Netgear adapter -- to the
>> Internet after installing SP3, although it hasn't been immediately
>> apparent.
>>
>> Earlier this week, I first thought it was due to AVG 7.5 / AVG 8.0
>> issues.
>>
>> However, overnight I lost connectivity again for no apparent reason, and
>> after spending an hour this morning uninstalling/reinstalling AVG and the
>> Netgear software -- and still being unable to get Internet
>> connectivity -- I
>> finally just uninstalled SP3.
>>
>> I'll continue using SP2 for a while.
>>
>> Alan
>>
>> "AngelaJo" <AngelaJo@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> news:BDD386F4-5A97-4FC6-9386-32F6253B216C@microsoft.com...
>> >I have a user that reported that the download and installation of SP3
>> >seemed
>> > to go smoothly (no errors during download or install), but when she
>> > rebooted
>> > and got back into her PC she didn't have access to the internet. Also,
>> > she
>> > was unable to start her ZoneAlarm application...she got an error
>> > indicating
>> > that she didn't have privileges to access the location.
>> >
>> > Anyone else getting this?

>>
>>
>>



Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 13-05-2008
AngelaJo
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Win XP SP3 problem after install

This would probably be worth trying if she could use the keyboard arrows to
move the highlighted boot selection from "Normal" to "Safe Mode"...but she
couldn't


"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> No.
> ======================================
> Continual reboots or can only boot into Safe Mode after installing WinXP
> SP3?
>
> Workarounds:
>
> 1. Boot into Safe Mode and rename INTELPMM.SYS to INTELPMM.OLD.
>
> 2. After booting into Safe Mode:
>
> Start | Run | (copy/paste) sc config intelppm start= disabled | OK | Reboot
> into normal (Windows) mode.
>
> Other references include:
>
> • http://aumha.net/viewtopic.php?p=187790#p187790
>
> •
> http://msinfluentials.com/blogs/jesp...ng-xp-sp3.aspx
>
> • http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/05...boots_crashes/
>
> •
> http://www.computerworld.com/action/...icleId=9084418
>
> • You receive a “Stop 0x0000007E” error message after you upgrade to Windows
> XP Service Pack 2 or Service Pack 3 on a non-Intel-processor-based computer
> (Revised 06 May-08)
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/888372
> --
> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
> MS MVP-IE, Mail, Security, Windows Desktop Experience - since 2002
> AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
> DTS-L http://dts-l.net/
>
>
> AngelaJo wrote:
> <snip>
> > I am wondering though, does this service pack behave differently according
> > to the age of your computer ? One employee here had to reformat her home
> > computer after installing SP3. After the install, it went into a reboot
> > loop. When she finally got into safe mode...she wasn't able to use the
> > arrow keys to select how she wanted to reboot...so she reformatted. ??
> >
> > "Alan" wrote:
> >
> >> Hi AngelaJo,
> >>
> >> I'm losing connectivity -- I use a wireless Netgear adapter -- to the
> >> Internet after installing SP3, although it hasn't been immediately
> >> apparent.
> >>
> >> Earlier this week, I first thought it was due to AVG 7.5 / AVG 8.0
> >> issues.
> >>
> >> However, overnight I lost connectivity again for no apparent reason, and
> >> after spending an hour this morning uninstalling/reinstalling AVG and the
> >> Netgear software -- and still being unable to get Internet
> >> connectivity --
> >> I finally just uninstalled SP3.
> >>
> >> I'll continue using SP2 for a while.
> >>
> >> Alan
> >>
> >> "AngelaJo" <AngelaJo@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >> news:BDD386F4-5A97-4FC6-9386-32F6253B216C@microsoft.com...
> >>> I have a user that reported that the download and installation of SP3
> >>> seemed
> >>> to go smoothly (no errors during download or install), but when she
> >>> rebooted
> >>> and got back into her PC she didn't have access to the internet. Also,
> >>> she
> >>> was unable to start her ZoneAlarm application...she got an error
> >>> indicating
> >>> that she didn't have privileges to access the location.
> >>>
> >>> Anyone else getting this?

>
>

Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 21-05-2008
AngelaJo
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Win XP SP3 problem after install

I ran into the same situation with one laptop here in the office. If ZA is
uninstalled before the SP3 download/install...all is well.

Thanks for all the help

"Alan" wrote:

> AngelaJo,
>
> In my case, while I had connectivity issues on my newer computer -- a Dell
> Dimension E520 using a Netgear 802.11g adapter -- my almost 7 year old Dell
> Dimension 2300 with a Netgear 802.11b adapter has had no connectivity issues
> at all using SP3.
>
> Alan
>
> "AngelaJo" <AngelaJo@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> news:5D7A8809-3706-48A3-9306-7DAADE4F0159@microsoft.com...>
>
> > I am wondering though, does this service pack behave differently according
> > to the age of your computer ? One employee here had to reformat her home
> > computer after installing SP3. After the install, it went into a reboot
> > loop. When she finally got into safe mode...she wasn't able to use the
> > arrow
> > keys to select how she wanted to reboot...so she reformatted. ??
> >
> > "Alan" wrote:
> >
> >> Hi AngelaJo,
> >>
> >> I'm losing connectivity -- I use a wireless Netgear adapter -- to the
> >> Internet after installing SP3, although it hasn't been immediately
> >> apparent.
> >>
> >> Earlier this week, I first thought it was due to AVG 7.5 / AVG 8.0
> >> issues.
> >>
> >> However, overnight I lost connectivity again for no apparent reason, and
> >> after spending an hour this morning uninstalling/reinstalling AVG and the
> >> Netgear software -- and still being unable to get Internet
> >> connectivity -- I
> >> finally just uninstalled SP3.
> >>
> >> I'll continue using SP2 for a while.
> >>
> >> Alan
> >>
> >> "AngelaJo" <AngelaJo@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >> news:BDD386F4-5A97-4FC6-9386-32F6253B216C@microsoft.com...
> >> >I have a user that reported that the download and installation of SP3
> >> >seemed
> >> > to go smoothly (no errors during download or install), but when she
> >> > rebooted
> >> > and got back into her PC she didn't have access to the internet. Also,
> >> > she
> >> > was unable to start her ZoneAlarm application...she got an error
> >> > indicating
> >> > that she didn't have privileges to access the location.
> >> >
> >> > Anyone else getting this?
> >>
> >>
> >>

>
>
>

Reply With Quote
Reply

  TechArena Community > Technical Support > Computer Help > Windows XP > Windows Update
Tags:



Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads for: "Win XP SP3 problem after install"
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Problem to install SP3 on Windows XP SP2 Pingui Windows Update 1 23-08-2011 12:33 AM
Problem Getting MTP to Install Correctly Deffen-Baugh XP Hardware 3 13-07-2010 05:04 AM
Problem to install with apt-get Aaliya Seth Windows Software 4 18-02-2010 05:22 AM
New build - XP install problem Noah21 Motherboard Processor & RAM 5 17-02-2010 08:29 PM
Win 7 install problem qwikkk Windows Software 2 21-07-2009 06:36 PM


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 07:53 PM.