Go Back   TechArena Community > Technical Support > Computer Help > Windows XP > Windows Update
Become a Member!
Forgot your username/password?
Tags Active Topics RSS Search Mark Forums Read

Sponsored Links



error 0x8007F0F4 when installing update KB944338

Windows Update


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
  #16  
Old 27-04-2008
Harry Johnston [MVP]
 
Posts: n/a
Re: error 0x8007F0F4 when installing update KB944338

chanceu wrote:

> You say it's impossible, but I too am running XP SP2 with IE version
> 7.0.5730.11, jscript.dll version 5.6.0.8831, and vbscript.dll version
> 5.6.0.8825.


No, I said it shouldn't be possible - not quite the same thing! It's easy
enough to reproduce.

> From what I've read, I have no doubt that installing the package you
> describe will fix the problem. However, I would really like an explanation
> detailing how this happened.


One known way for this to happen is to install IE7 and then Windows Script 5.6.

I suspect third-party software installers incorporating Windows Script 5.6. It
could also be the result of security products preventing the files from being
updated when IE7 is installed.

Harry.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 27-04-2008
PA Bear [MS MVP]
 
Posts: n/a
Re: error 0x8007F0F4 when installing update KB944338

The most likely cause of this behavior (i.e., installing IE7 without Windows
Script 5.7 also being installed) is due to not having disabled all real-time
protections prior to installing IE7.

Sandi's Installation Tips <= Steps #1-8, #10 & #11; take note of #12, then
STOP
http://www.ie-vista.com/known_issues.html#pre-install

IEBlog : IE7 Installation and Anti-Malware Applications
http://blogs.msdn.com/ie/archive/200...lications.aspx

IMHO this is yet another reason why IE7 should *never* have been offered by
Windows Update except as an Optional (i.e., user must opt-in) update.
--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
MS MVP-IE, Mail, Security, Windows Desktop Experience - since 2002
AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
DTS-L http://dts-l.net/


chanceu wrote:
> You say it's impossible, but I too am running XP SP2 with IE version
> 7.0.5730.11, jscript.dll version 5.6.0.8831, and vbscript.dll version
> 5.6.0.8825.
>
> From what I've read, I have no doubt that installing the package you
> describe will fix the problem. However, I would really like an explanation
> detailing how this happened. This is either something malicious or we all
> installed something reverted the DLL's to 5.6 instead of leaving the newer
> versions in place.
>
>
> "Harry Johnston [MVP]" wrote:
>
>> shawnr wrote:
>>
>>> both are ver 5.6.

>>
>> Did you check the version of the actual DLL files, or just the installed
>> version of VBScript/Javascript? (Normally you'd expect them to be the
>> same, but that isn't true in this case.)
>>
>> You can check the file version by navigating to c:\windows\system32,
>> selecting jscript.dll, right-clicking, selecting Properties, and going to
>> the Version tab. Please let us know the full version number, and also
>> the modification date and file size in bytes.
>>
>> The reason I ask is that IE7 includes version 5.7.0.5730 of jscript.dll
>> and
>> vbscript.dll, so it shouldn't be possible to have version 5.6 if IE7 is
>> installed.
>>
>> Harry.


Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 30-04-2008
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 3
I installed Windows Script 5.6 as suggested above but still couldn't do the update. Then I downloaded kb94438.exe from Msft and when I ran it, got the message:"Wrong version of Windows." Then I noticed that kb94438 is for Windows SERVER! I am running XP Home Edition. Windows Update sent me kb94438 in error! Therefore, if Update tries to install kb94438, just say, No thanks.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 30-04-2008
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 3
Oops..should be Script 5.7. Sorry.

Hope I have been of some help.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 03-06-2008
Lightning Bolt
 
Posts: n/a
Re: error 0x8007F0F4 when installing update KB944338

Oh Great!!! I should have read all of this PRIOR to downloading 7.0 I can't
work from home with 7.0 and want 6.0 back but all I've read is I can't get
6.0 back, either. Screwed again!!! Dang!

"chanceu" wrote:

> You say it's impossible, but I too am running XP SP2 with IE version
> 7.0.5730.11, jscript.dll version 5.6.0.8831, and vbscript.dll version
> 5.6.0.8825.
>
> From what I've read, I have no doubt that installing the package you
> describe will fix the problem. However, I would really like an explanation
> detailing how this happened. This is either something malicious or we all
> installed something reverted the DLL's to 5.6 instead of leaving the newer
> versions in place.
>
>
> "Harry Johnston [MVP]" wrote:
>
> > shawnr wrote:
> >
> > > both are ver 5.6.

> >
> > Did you check the version of the actual DLL files, or just the installed version
> > of VBScript/Javascript? (Normally you'd expect them to be the same, but that
> > isn't true in this case.)
> >
> > You can check the file version by navigating to c:\windows\system32, selecting
> > jscript.dll, right-clicking, selecting Properties, and going to the Version tab.
> > Please let us know the full version number, and also the modification date and
> > file size in bytes.
> >
> > The reason I ask is that IE7 includes version 5.7.0.5730 of jscript.dll and
> > vbscript.dll, so it shouldn't be possible to have version 5.6 if IE7 is installed.
> >
> > Harry.
> >

Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 03-06-2008
PA Bear [MS MVP]
 
Posts: n/a
Re: error 0x8007F0F4 when installing update KB944338

Required reading IMHO before installing IE7:

Sandi's Installation Tips <= Steps #1-8, #10 & #11; take note of #12, then
STOP!
http://www.ie-vista.com/known_issues.html#pre-install
(ignore any references to Vista)

And I strongly recommend using
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/dow.../getitnow.mspx as the
installation source, not Automatic/Windows Update.

Alternately, use this Direct Download link:
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...0-081805b2f90b

Tip: Save the installer to your desktop, do not Run it.

Make *certain* that you check in at Windows Update immediately after
installing IE7 and install any critical updates offered. If Optional
Updates category offers Root Certificates update, I recommend installing it
to take full advantage of IE7's additional security.

IEBlog : IE7 Installation and Anti-Malware Applications
http://blogs.msdn.com/ie/archive/200...lications.aspx

What's New in Internet Explorer 7
http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms649487.aspx

Release Notes
http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/ie/Aa740486.aspx

IEBlog: IE and Windows XP Service Pack 3
http://blogs.msdn.com/ie/archive/200...and-xpsp3.aspx
--
IE-specific newsgroup:
news://msnews.microsoft.com/microsof...plorer.general

~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
MS MVP-IE, Mail, Security, Windows Desktop Experience - since 2002


Lightning Bolt wrote:
> Oh Great!!! I should have read all of this PRIOR to downloading 7.0 I
> can't work from home with 7.0 and want 6.0 back but all I've read is I
> can't get
> 6.0 back, either. Screwed again!!! Dang!
>
> "chanceu" wrote:
>
>> You say it's impossible, but I too am running XP SP2 with IE version
>> 7.0.5730.11, jscript.dll version 5.6.0.8831, and vbscript.dll version
>> 5.6.0.8825.
>>
>> From what I've read, I have no doubt that installing the package you
>> describe will fix the problem. However, I would really like an
>> explanation
>> detailing how this happened. This is either something malicious or we all
>> installed something reverted the DLL's to 5.6 instead of leaving the
>> newer
>> versions in place.
>>
>>
>> "Harry Johnston [MVP]" wrote:
>>
>>> shawnr wrote:
>>>
>>>> both are ver 5.6.
>>>
>>> Did you check the version of the actual DLL files, or just the installed
>>> version of VBScript/Javascript? (Normally you'd expect them to be the
>>> same, but that isn't true in this case.)
>>>
>>> You can check the file version by navigating to c:\windows\system32,
>>> selecting jscript.dll, right-clicking, selecting Properties, and going
>>> to
>>> the Version tab. Please let us know the full version number, and also
>>> the modification date and file size in bytes.
>>>
>>> The reason I ask is that IE7 includes version 5.7.0.5730 of jscript.dll
>>> and vbscript.dll, so it shouldn't be possible to have version 5.6 if IE7
>>> is installed.
>>>
>>> Harry.


Reply With Quote
Reply

  TechArena Community > Technical Support > Computer Help > Windows XP > Windows Update
Tags: , , , ,



Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads for: "error 0x8007F0F4 when installing update KB944338"
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Error Code: 0x8007F0F4 while installing windows KB2481109 Afiq Operating Systems 3 03-04-2011 07:36 AM
Error Code: 0x8007F0F4 for Windows XP Service Pack 3 (KB936929) John Sfinias Windows Update 3 08-09-2008 10:30 PM
Error Code: 0x8007F0F4 when installing Windows XP SP3 (KB936929) NBK123 Windows Update 5 26-07-2008 06:02 PM
Cannot install SP3 - Error 0x8007F0F4 onewharf Windows Update 1 11-05-2008 10:41 PM
Error Code 0x8007F0F4 when trying to install SP3 on windows xp AM Windows Update 3 08-05-2008 12:18 PM


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 07:46 AM.