Follow the instructions below the fix the problem, it's been proven by
several people already to work.
All credit for this fix goes to Ernest on the Technet forums (THANK YOU)
After having the endless reboot problem for the last few days I've
got it back up and working! Thanks to 'Ernest' from the following
for finding the file causing all the problems.
'Re: Stage 3 of 3 - 0% then reboots - TechNet Forums'
Here's what I did.
1) Boot from the Vista install disc (I understand the following works
as an alternative if you haven't got a
Vista disc 'Windows Vista Recovery Disc Download — The NeoSmart
2) Choose your language, time etc and select the "Repair your computer"
3) Start a command prompt and delete/move the following file.
In my case I moved it out the way onto my 'D:\' drive incase I ever
needed it again.
4) Restart the PC, you'll get the same 'configuring updates' screen but
after a while it will carry onto the desktop!!!
5) Turn off automatic updates and create a restore point. Wait until
fixes the update.
Everything appears to be working normally now and I can reboot,
shutdown etc without getting the dreaded updates installing. Hope this