Go Back   TechArena Community > Technical Support > Computer Help > Windows XP > Windows Update
Become a Member!
Forgot your username/password?
Tags Active Topics RSS Search Mark Forums Read

Sponsored Links



Windows Update Error Code 80073712

Windows Update


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
  #16  
Old 11-07-2008
Jbm
 
Posts: n/a
RE: Windows Update Error Code 80073712

Finally resorted to formating disk, reinstalling XP Professional, and
applications including Office 2007. Using same sources and product keys all
went well and is up, running, and updating.

Why won't MS respond to the multiple user complaints and find and publish a
fix to spare the extra inconvenience to us all....?
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 15-11-2008
Josh
 
Posts: n/a
RE: Windows Update Error Code 80073712

AutoBarn,
I had a problem with one of the updates and it was KB905866 and I found
out that this download was not for Vista systems. I hope this may help some,
as I deleted the above and it worked out.

Josh

"AutoBarn" wrote:

> Hi there,
>
> I am having problems installing 4 updates for Vista.
>
> I am running Windows Vista Ultimate, and I'm trying to install updates
> KB942763, KB947172, KB905866 and KB943302 (all of which are important,
> according to Windows Update). I have been trying for the last two days, but
> always get Error Code 80073712, with Update telling me that the installation
> failed. Online help is offering no answers for that error code.
>
> I have trawled through some forums and seen a number of people with this
> problem, but so far none of the solutions I have tried have worked.
>
> I really hope someone can help.
>
> Many thanks in advance,
>
> Barnaby Legg

Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 06-12-2008
Santa Claus
 
Posts: n/a
RE: Windows Update Error Code 80073712

The following is the solution to this error 80073712. The credit goes to
Username: Feak180 at
http://www.joejoe.org/forum/index.ph...&mode=threaded

What is important to point is the use of the "Run as Administrator" function
in Vista.
Here is what the user wrote:

----------------------------------------------------------------------
This is how you can fix this problem!

To be able to delete the following file:
C:\windows\winsxs\pending.xml

Since Windows security will not allow you to do this, hereunder the
procedure to take ownership of the file. Run a command prompt with “Run as
Administrator”. Type in the following commands:

a. takeown /f C:\Windows\winsxs\pending.xml

b. cacls C:\Windows\winsxs\pending.xml /G <YourUsername>:F

c. Delete the file: C:\windows\winsxs\pending.xml

d. Reboot the machine, then manually install the WUA 3.0 downloadable from
here

32-bit Users Download it Here:
http://download.windowsupdate.com/v7...gent30-x86.exe

64-bit Users Get it Here:
http://download.windowsupdate.com/v7...gent30-x64.exe

Hope this helps you!
------------------------------------------------------

I have tested this solution on various platform, OS's, and hardware where
this error occurred and it work everytime. Since this issue can be
duplicated, the next step is to find out why this occurs on some platforms
and not on others. When I find the answer, I will beback and post again to
close the loop.

"It is truly to give, than to recieve - Happy Holidays to All!!"

"Jbm" wrote:

> Finally resorted to formating disk, reinstalling XP Professional, and
> applications including Office 2007. Using same sources and product keys all
> went well and is up, running, and updating.
>
> Why won't MS respond to the multiple user complaints and find and publish a
> fix to spare the extra inconvenience to us all....?

Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 14-12-2008
MowGreen [MVP]
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Windows Update Error Code 80073712

" Dear Santa ... please send the rest of the URL, this one doesn't work:

http://download.windowsupdate.com/v7...gent30-x86.exe

Thanks ... "

Santa sez: It needs the version of the WUA added, as thus -
http://download.windowsupdate.com/wi...gent30-x86.exe

or

http://download.windowsupdate.com/wi...gent30-x64.exe


MowGreenClaus [MVP 2003-2009]
===============
*-343-* FDNY
Never Forgotten
===============



Santa Claus wrote:

> The following is the solution to this error 80073712. The credit goes to
> Username: Feak180 at
> http://www.joejoe.org/forum/index.ph...&mode=threaded
>
> What is important to point is the use of the "Run as Administrator" function
> in Vista.
> Here is what the user wrote:
>
> ----------------------------------------------------------------------
> This is how you can fix this problem!
>
> To be able to delete the following file:
> C:\windows\winsxs\pending.xml
>
> Since Windows security will not allow you to do this, hereunder the
> procedure to take ownership of the file. Run a command prompt with “Run as
> Administrator”. Type in the following commands:
>
> a. takeown /f C:\Windows\winsxs\pending.xml
>
> b. cacls C:\Windows\winsxs\pending.xml /G <YourUsername>:F
>
> c. Delete the file: C:\windows\winsxs\pending.xml
>
> d. Reboot the machine, then manually install the WUA 3.0 downloadable from
> here
>
> 32-bit Users Download it Here:
> http://download.windowsupdate.com/v7...gent30-x86.exe
>
> 64-bit Users Get it Here:
> http://download.windowsupdate.com/v7...gent30-x64.exe
>
> Hope this helps you!
> ------------------------------------------------------
>
> I have tested this solution on various platform, OS's, and hardware where
> this error occurred and it work everytime. Since this issue can be
> duplicated, the next step is to find out why this occurs on some platforms
> and not on others. When I find the answer, I will beback and post again to
> close the loop.
>
> "It is truly to give, than to recieve - Happy Holidays to All!!"
>

Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 19-12-2008
Santa Claus
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Windows Update Error Code 80073712

Thanks MowGreen for fixing the URLs for the WUA.

"MowGreen [MVP]" wrote:

> " Dear Santa ... please send the rest of the URL, this one doesn't work:
>
> http://download.windowsupdate.com/v7...gent30-x86.exe
>
> Thanks ... "
>
> Santa sez: It needs the version of the WUA added, as thus -
> http://download.windowsupdate.com/wi...gent30-x86.exe
>
> or
>
> http://download.windowsupdate.com/wi...gent30-x64.exe
>
>
> MowGreenClaus [MVP 2003-2009]
> ===============
> *-343-* FDNY
> Never Forgotten
> ===============
>
>
>
> Santa Claus wrote:
>
> > The following is the solution to this error 80073712. The credit goes to
> > Username: Feak180 at
> > http://www.joejoe.org/forum/index.ph...&mode=threaded
> >
> > What is important to point is the use of the "Run as Administrator" function
> > in Vista.
> > Here is what the user wrote:
> >
> > ----------------------------------------------------------------------
> > This is how you can fix this problem!
> >
> > To be able to delete the following file:
> > C:\windows\winsxs\pending.xml
> >
> > Since Windows security will not allow you to do this, hereunder the
> > procedure to take ownership of the file. Run a command prompt with “Run as
> > Administrator”. Type in the following commands:
> >
> > a. takeown /f C:\Windows\winsxs\pending.xml
> >
> > b. cacls C:\Windows\winsxs\pending.xml /G <YourUsername>:F
> >
> > c. Delete the file: C:\windows\winsxs\pending.xml
> >
> > d. Reboot the machine, then manually install the WUA 3.0 downloadable from
> > here
> >
> > 32-bit Users Download it Here:
> > http://download.windowsupdate.com/v7...gent30-x86.exe
> >
> > 64-bit Users Get it Here:
> > http://download.windowsupdate.com/v7...gent30-x64.exe
> >
> > Hope this helps you!
> > ------------------------------------------------------
> >
> > I have tested this solution on various platform, OS's, and hardware where
> > this error occurred and it work everytime. Since this issue can be
> > duplicated, the next step is to find out why this occurs on some platforms
> > and not on others. When I find the answer, I will beback and post again to
> > close the loop.
> >
> > "It is truly to give, than to recieve - Happy Holidays to All!!"
> >

>

Reply With Quote
Reply

  TechArena Community > Technical Support > Computer Help > Windows XP > Windows Update
Tags:



Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads for: "Windows Update Error Code 80073712"
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Windows SP1 update error code 80073712 ahwang0606 Vista Help 3 26-08-2010 07:44 PM
Error Code 80073712 - Windows Vista SP2 roseire Windows Update 7 24-09-2009 10:27 AM
Vista update KB938371 fails to install. error code 80073712 Jumbo Windows Update 14 12-08-2008 07:06 PM
Windows Update - Error 80073712 shattered00 Windows Update 13 09-03-2008 02:06 AM
Windows Update Failure - Error Code 80073712 OrDracul Windows Update 12 02-10-2007 03:31 AM


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 08:00 PM.