Go Back   TechArena Community > Technical Support > Computer Help > Windows XP > Windows Update
Become a Member!
Forgot your username/password?
Register Tags Active Topics RSS Search Mark Forums Read

Sponsored Links



Windows update error code 66A

Windows Update


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
  #1  
Old 30-11-2007
topcat
 
Posts: n/a
Windows update error code 66A

When I try to install the update for .NET Framework 1.1, Service Pack 1 I get
an error code 66A. I have searched for a resolution but can not find one.
What can I do to resolve this?

Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 01-12-2007
MowGreen [MVP]
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Windows update error code 66A

Which Version of Windows is installed ?

IF .NET Framework 1.1 is showing as installed in Add/Remove Programs in
the Control Panel, suggest you download SP1 from here and save it:
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...DisplayLang=en

When the download completes close all open browsers and programs.
Now install NDP1.1sp1-KB867460-X86.exe and restart the system.
Did that get it installed ?

MowGreen [MVP 2003-2008]
===============
*-343-* FDNY
Never Forgotten
===============


topcat wrote:

> When I try to install the update for .NET Framework 1.1, Service Pack 1 I get
> an error code 66A. I have searched for a resolution but can not find one.
> What can I do to resolve this?

Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 02-12-2007
topcat
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Windows update error code 66A

Vista Ultimate

"MowGreen [MVP]" wrote:

> Which Version of Windows is installed ?
>
> IF .NET Framework 1.1 is showing as installed in Add/Remove Programs in
> the Control Panel, suggest you download SP1 from here and save it:
> http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...DisplayLang=en
>
> When the download completes close all open browsers and programs.
> Now install NDP1.1sp1-KB867460-X86.exe and restart the system.
> Did that get it installed ?
>
> MowGreen [MVP 2003-2008]
> ===============
> *-343-* FDNY
> Never Forgotten
> ===============
>
>
> topcat wrote:
>
> > When I try to install the update for .NET Framework 1.1, Service Pack 1 I get
> > an error code 66A. I have searched for a resolution but can not find one.
> > What can I do to resolve this?

>

Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 02-12-2007
Robert Aldwinckle
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Windows update error code 66A

"topcat" <topcat@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:89A345B9-F668-4CA4-9351-B1FFB85D77DB@microsoft.com...
> When I try to install the update for .NET Framework 1.1, Service Pack 1 I get
> an error code 66A. I have searched for a resolution but can not find one.
> What can I do to resolve this?


<cmd_output OS="XPsp2">
F:\>set /a c = 0x66A
1642
F:\>net helpmsg %c%

The upgrade patch cannot be installed by the Windows Installer service
because the program to be upgraded may be missing, or the upgrade patch
may update a different version of the program. Verify that the program to be
upgraded exists on your computer and that you have the correct upgrade
patch.

</cmd_output>

At least the code gives you something to try... <eg>

Do the logs give you any better clues? Hint: search for context
for the hex string and its decimal equivalent.


Good luck

Robert Aldwinckle
---


Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 03-12-2007
MowGreen [MVP]
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Windows update error code 66A

Download the update manually and install it from the previously provided
link. That has worked for others in the same situation as you are now in.

OR, you can stop the Windows Update service, delete the previously
download of the update located in
SoftwareDistribution\Download\Install
Restart the Windows Update service, and then wait until the fixed
version of the update is downloaded.

MowGreen [MVP 2003-2008]
===============
*-343-* FDNY
Never Forgotten
===============


topcat wrote:

> Vista Ultimate
>
> "MowGreen [MVP]" wrote:
>
>
>>Which Version of Windows is installed ?
>>
>>IF .NET Framework 1.1 is showing as installed in Add/Remove Programs in
>>the Control Panel, suggest you download SP1 from here and save it:
>>http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...DisplayLang=en
>>
>>When the download completes close all open browsers and programs.
>>Now install NDP1.1sp1-KB867460-X86.exe and restart the system.
>>Did that get it installed ?
>>
>>MowGreen [MVP 2003-2008]
>>===============
>> *-343-* FDNY
>>Never Forgotten
>>===============
>>
>>
>>topcat wrote:
>>
>>
>>>When I try to install the update for .NET Framework 1.1, Service Pack 1 I get
>>>an error code 66A. I have searched for a resolution but can not find one.
>>>What can I do to resolve this?

>>

Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 03-12-2007
kmg04
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Windows update error code 66A

The upgrade patch cannot be installed by the Windows Installer service
because the program to be upgraded may be missing, or the upgrade patch
may update a different version of the program. Verify that the program to be
upgraded exists on your computer and that you have the correct upgrade
patch.


I'm not a computer genius, but I have followed the posted directions. The
message up above is what popped up when my computer tried to install the
file, and I am at a loss. I've only had this for 2 months. Any help would be
much appreciated.

"Robert Aldwinckle" wrote:

> "topcat" <topcat@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> news:89A345B9-F668-4CA4-9351-B1FFB85D77DB@microsoft.com...
> > When I try to install the update for .NET Framework 1.1, Service Pack 1 I get
> > an error code 66A. I have searched for a resolution but can not find one.
> > What can I do to resolve this?

>
> <cmd_output OS="XPsp2">
> F:\>set /a c = 0x66A
> 1642
> F:\>net helpmsg %c%
>
> The upgrade patch cannot be installed by the Windows Installer service
> because the program to be upgraded may be missing, or the upgrade patch
> may update a different version of the program. Verify that the program to be
> upgraded exists on your computer and that you have the correct upgrade
> patch.
>
> </cmd_output>
>
> At least the code gives you something to try... <eg>
>
> Do the logs give you any better clues? Hint: search for context
> for the hex string and its decimal equivalent.
>
>
> Good luck
>
> Robert Aldwinckle
> ---
>
>
>

Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 03-12-2007
Peter Moore
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Windows update error code 66A

My follow-up question is whether or not you need to have .Net Framework 1.1
if 2.0 is installed

"kmg04" wrote:

> The upgrade patch cannot be installed by the Windows Installer service
> because the program to be upgraded may be missing, or the upgrade patch
> may update a different version of the program. Verify that the program to be
> upgraded exists on your computer and that you have the correct upgrade
> patch.
>
>
> I'm not a computer genius, but I have followed the posted directions. The
> message up above is what popped up when my computer tried to install the
> file, and I am at a loss. I've only had this for 2 months. Any help would be
> much appreciated.
>
> "Robert Aldwinckle" wrote:
>
> > "topcat" <topcat@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > news:89A345B9-F668-4CA4-9351-B1FFB85D77DB@microsoft.com...
> > > When I try to install the update for .NET Framework 1.1, Service Pack 1 I get
> > > an error code 66A. I have searched for a resolution but can not find one.
> > > What can I do to resolve this?

> >
> > <cmd_output OS="XPsp2">
> > F:\>set /a c = 0x66A
> > 1642
> > F:\>net helpmsg %c%
> >
> > The upgrade patch cannot be installed by the Windows Installer service
> > because the program to be upgraded may be missing, or the upgrade patch
> > may update a different version of the program. Verify that the program to be
> > upgraded exists on your computer and that you have the correct upgrade
> > patch.
> >
> > </cmd_output>
> >
> > At least the code gives you something to try... <eg>
> >
> > Do the logs give you any better clues? Hint: search for context
> > for the hex string and its decimal equivalent.
> >
> >
> > Good luck
> >
> > Robert Aldwinckle
> > ---
> >
> >
> >

Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 04-12-2007
MowGreen [MVP]
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Windows update error code 66A

..NET Framework 1.1. and 2.0 run side by side and are not dependent on
each other.
BUT, if a Program was installed that requires either Framework so that
it can run, then the answer is yes.

It gets more complicated with the installation of 3.0
That requires that 2.0 be installed, also.

Clear as mud, eh ? <w>

MowGreen [MVP 2003-2008]
===============
*-343-* FDNY
Never Forgotten
===============



Peter Moore wrote:

> My follow-up question is whether or not you need to have .Net Framework 1.1
> if 2.0 is installed
>
> "kmg04" wrote:
>
>
>>The upgrade patch cannot be installed by the Windows Installer service
>>because the program to be upgraded may be missing, or the upgrade patch
>>may update a different version of the program. Verify that the program to be
>>upgraded exists on your computer and that you have the correct upgrade
>>patch.
>>
>>
>>I'm not a computer genius, but I have followed the posted directions. The
>>message up above is what popped up when my computer tried to install the
>>file, and I am at a loss. I've only had this for 2 months. Any help would be
>>much appreciated.
>>
>>"Robert Aldwinckle" wrote:
>>
>>
>>>"topcat" <topcat@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>>>news:89A345B9-F668-4CA4-9351-B1FFB85D77DB@microsoft.com...
>>>
>>>>When I try to install the update for .NET Framework 1.1, Service Pack 1 I get
>>>>an error code 66A. I have searched for a resolution but can not find one.
>>>>What can I do to resolve this?
>>>
>>><cmd_output OS="XPsp2">
>>>F:\>set /a c = 0x66A
>>>1642
>>>F:\>net helpmsg %c%
>>>
>>>The upgrade patch cannot be installed by the Windows Installer service
>>>because the program to be upgraded may be missing, or the upgrade patch
>>>may update a different version of the program. Verify that the program to be
>>>upgraded exists on your computer and that you have the correct upgrade
>>>patch.
>>>
>>></cmd_output>
>>>
>>>At least the code gives you something to try... <eg>
>>>
>>>Do the logs give you any better clues? Hint: search for context
>>>for the hex string and its decimal equivalent.
>>>
>>>
>>>Good luck
>>>
>>>Robert Aldwinckle
>>>---
>>>
>>>
>>>

Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 05-01-2008
Korneel Guns
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Windows update error code 66A

I have problems installing the
"update for visual studio 2005 service pack 1 (windows vista)"
and the
"safetyupdate for microsoft visual studio 2005 service pack 1(KB937061)"
It always says "error code 66A".

Previously I tried to install "Visual Studio 2005 service pack 1", but it
always failed, so it's very logical that I can't install the update to the
service pack since I don't even have the service pack....

But when I check the installed updates, the service pack 1 is in there...
even tough it ALWAYS failed to install. And the windows update doesn't
recognize the service pack 1 as a new update anymore, since it 'should' be
installed...
How can I resolve this problem?



"MowGreen [MVP]" wrote:

> ..NET Framework 1.1. and 2.0 run side by side and are not dependent on
> each other.
> BUT, if a Program was installed that requires either Framework so that
> it can run, then the answer is yes.
>
> It gets more complicated with the installation of 3.0
> That requires that 2.0 be installed, also.
>
> Clear as mud, eh ? <w>
>
> MowGreen [MVP 2003-2008]
> ===============
> *-343-* FDNY
> Never Forgotten
> ===============
>
>
>
> Peter Moore wrote:
>
> > My follow-up question is whether or not you need to have .Net Framework 1.1
> > if 2.0 is installed
> >
> > "kmg04" wrote:
> >
> >
> >>The upgrade patch cannot be installed by the Windows Installer service
> >>because the program to be upgraded may be missing, or the upgrade patch
> >>may update a different version of the program. Verify that the program to be
> >>upgraded exists on your computer and that you have the correct upgrade
> >>patch.
> >>
> >>
> >>I'm not a computer genius, but I have followed the posted directions. The
> >>message up above is what popped up when my computer tried to install the
> >>file, and I am at a loss. I've only had this for 2 months. Any help would be
> >>much appreciated.
> >>
> >>"Robert Aldwinckle" wrote:
> >>
> >>
> >>>"topcat" <topcat@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >>>news:89A345B9-F668-4CA4-9351-B1FFB85D77DB@microsoft.com...
> >>>
> >>>>When I try to install the update for .NET Framework 1.1, Service Pack 1 I get
> >>>>an error code 66A. I have searched for a resolution but can not find one.
> >>>>What can I do to resolve this?
> >>>
> >>><cmd_output OS="XPsp2">
> >>>F:\>set /a c = 0x66A
> >>>1642
> >>>F:\>net helpmsg %c%
> >>>
> >>>The upgrade patch cannot be installed by the Windows Installer service
> >>>because the program to be upgraded may be missing, or the upgrade patch
> >>>may update a different version of the program. Verify that the program to be
> >>>upgraded exists on your computer and that you have the correct upgrade
> >>>patch.
> >>>
> >>></cmd_output>
> >>>
> >>>At least the code gives you something to try... <eg>
> >>>
> >>>Do the logs give you any better clues? Hint: search for context
> >>>for the hex string and its decimal equivalent.
> >>>
> >>>
> >>>Good luck
> >>>
> >>>Robert Aldwinckle
> >>>---
> >>>
> >>>
> >>>

>

Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 16-02-2008
DJCORT1
 
Posts: n/a
RE: Windows update error code 66A

The steps you need to follow are:

1) Run cleanup tool:
http://astebner.sts.winisp.net/Tools...eanup_tool.zip

and select remove (cleanup) .NET Framework 1.1 from the dropdown list.

2) Download the .Net framework 1.1 redistributable package from her
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...7-034d1e7cf3a3

and install it.

4) Download the .Net Framework 1.1 Service Pack
https://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...displaylang=en
and install it.

5) Instead of using Windows Update, download the KB929729 package from here
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...displaylang=en

Install this Last!


I followed the steps and the his windows update looks much healthier now

Hope this helps!


"topcat" wrote:

> When I try to install the update for .NET Framework 1.1, Service Pack 1 I get
> an error code 66A. I have searched for a resolution but can not find one.
> What can I do to resolve this?

Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 25-04-2008
Jester1111
 
Posts: n/a
RE: Windows update error code 66A



"DJCORT1" wrote:

> The steps you need to follow are:
>
> 1) Run cleanup tool:
> http://astebner.sts.winisp.net/Tools...eanup_tool.zip
>
> and select remove (cleanup) .NET Framework 1.1 from the dropdown list.
>
> 2) Download the .Net framework 1.1 redistributable package from here
> http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...7-034d1e7cf3a3
>
> and install it.
>
> 4) Download the .Net Framework 1.1 Service Pack 1
> https://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...displaylang=en
> and install it.
>
> 5) Instead of using Windows Update, download the KB929729 package from here:
> http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...displaylang=en
>
> Install this Last!
>
>
> I followed the steps and the his windows update looks much healthier now
>
> Hope this helps!
>
>
> "topcat" wrote:
>
> > When I try to install the update for .NET Framework 1.1, Service Pack 1 I get
> > an error code 66A. I have searched for a resolution but can not find one.
> > What can I do to resolve this?


this worked like a charm thank you so much..
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 24-05-2008
This worked! A big thanks to DJCORT1!
 
Posts: n/a
RE: Windows update error code 66A



"DJCORT1" wrote:

> The steps you need to follow are:
>
> 1) Run cleanup tool:
> http://astebner.sts.winisp.net/Tools...eanup_tool.zip
>
> and select remove (cleanup) .NET Framework 1.1 from the dropdown list.
>
> 2) Download the .Net framework 1.1 redistributable package from here
> http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...7-034d1e7cf3a3
>
> and install it.
>
> 4) Download the .Net Framework 1.1 Service Pack 1
> https://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...displaylang=en
> and install it.
>
> 5) Instead of using Windows Update, download the KB929729 package from here:
> http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...displaylang=en
>
> Install this Last!
>
>
> I followed the steps and the his windows update looks much healthier now
>
> Hope this helps!
>
>
> "topcat" wrote:
>
> > When I try to install the update for .NET Framework 1.1, Service Pack 1 I get
> > an error code 66A. I have searched for a resolution but can not find one.
> > What can I do to resolve this?

Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 24-08-2008
Lakeflake
 
Posts: n/a
RE: Windows update error code 66A

MS if continuing it's track record of lousy support. I'm on a one week old
HP Computer with Vista Ultimate on it and today was told by "update" that I
need to install a Framework update. It will not install and comes back with
an error code of 66A which as is typical of MS and tells me nothing. A brand
new computer, no registry changes have been made, all updates save this one
have been installed when the flag went up to install them (sorry, didn't
install the 35 various language updates). My old computer with XP MCE
encountered the same problems with trying to install updates to Framework and
I spent weeks trying to get the updates installed. Thanks to Aaron Stebner
(sp?) finally got it straightened out, but not without many messages back and
forth. I don't see how MS can blame this problem on users messing up
machines, installs, etc. since this is a brand new machine, unadulterated
OS, running MS Vista Ultimate (not an upgrade version but a full blown copy
at $$$$$).
MS -- what is your defense?
--
lakeflake


"topcat" wrote:

> When I try to install the update for .NET Framework 1.1, Service Pack 1 I get
> an error code 66A. I have searched for a resolution but can not find one.
> What can I do to resolve this?

Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 25-08-2008
Harry Johnston [MVP]
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Windows update error code 66A

Lakeflake wrote:

> I'm on a one week old
> HP Computer with Vista Ultimate on it and today was told by "update" that I
> need to install a Framework update. It will not install and comes back with
> an error code of 66A which as is typical of MS and tells me nothing. A brand
> new computer, no registry changes have been made, all updates save this one
> have been installed when the flag went up to install them (sorry, didn't
> install the 35 various language updates).


Did you reinstall the OS yourself or did it come preinstalled from HP? Have you
and/or HP installed any applications on the computer yet?

Harry.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 25-08-2008
Lakeflake
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Windows update error code 66A

Installed Vista Ultimate myself with MS Disk purchased at same time as
computer.
Yes, I've installed some programs such as MS Home & Student, Outlook,
TurboTax, printer drivers and Norton.
--
lakeflake


"Harry Johnston [MVP]" wrote:

> Lakeflake wrote:
>
> > I'm on a one week old
> > HP Computer with Vista Ultimate on it and today was told by "update" that I
> > need to install a Framework update. It will not install and comes back with
> > an error code of 66A which as is typical of MS and tells me nothing. A brand
> > new computer, no registry changes have been made, all updates save this one
> > have been installed when the flag went up to install them (sorry, didn't
> > install the 35 various language updates).

>
> Did you reinstall the OS yourself or did it come preinstalled from HP? Have you
> and/or HP installed any applications on the computer yet?
>
> Harry.
>

Reply With Quote
Reply

  TechArena Community > Technical Support > Computer Help > Windows XP > Windows Update
Tags:



Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads for: "Windows update error code 66A"
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Vista Windows Update error Code: 80070490 Windows Update encountered an unknown error Kumar esan Vista Help 3 04-05-2012 12:24 PM
Unable to update windows KB2505591, Error code 652 while trying to update Bing Bar 7.0. Myshaa Operating Systems 4 03-04-2011 12:33 AM
Windows Update Error Code 2 attempting to install Security Update for .NET Framework 4 (KB2160841) Dalapathi Windows Update 6 26-02-2011 09:50 AM
Not able to Install Update Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 (KB951847) x64, Windows Update Encountering Unknown Error Code 643 Kandarpa Windows Update 4 24-02-2011 09:49 AM
Windows Update Error Code 80070422 and Error code 1058 CloudJames Windows Update 4 10-01-2009 10:44 AM


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 01:24 AM.