Go Back   TechArena Community > Technical Support > Computer Help > Windows XP > Windows Update
Become a Member!
Forgot your username/password?
Tags Active Topics RSS Search Mark Forums Read

Sponsored Links



KB943460 and Windows XP SP2 MUI

Windows Update


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
  #1  
Old 16-11-2007
Abu Anas
 
Posts: n/a
KB943460 and Windows XP SP2 MUI

I am using Windows XP SP2 MUI (Default English, Second user Arabic). After
appling KB943460 update the Arabic user interface started to show items in
English only and sometimes Mixed menus (Some English other Arabic). AFAIK the
KB943460 update modifies the shell files. So I tried to uninstall the update
and the interface went bak to normal (showing shell menus in the correct
language).

Do I need to wait for an update to this patch or maybe a MUI update?
Did anyone with MUI applied had this problem?

Regards.

Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 17-11-2007
MowGreen [MVP]
 
Posts: n/a
Re: KB943460 and Windows XP SP2 MUI

STRONGLY suggest that you contact MS and report this issue:

>
> For home users, no-charge support is available by calling 1-866-PCSAFETY in the United
> States and Canada or by contacting your local Microsoft subsidiary.
>
> For more information about how to contact your local Microsoft subsidiary for security
> update support issues, visit the International Support Web site:
>> http://support.microsoft.com/common/international.aspx

>


MowGreen [MVP 2003-2008]
===============
*-343-* FDNY
Never Forgotten
===============



Abu Anas wrote:

> I am using Windows XP SP2 MUI (Default English, Second user Arabic). After
> appling KB943460 update the Arabic user interface started to show items in
> English only and sometimes Mixed menus (Some English other Arabic). AFAIK the
> KB943460 update modifies the shell files. So I tried to uninstall the update
> and the interface went bak to normal (showing shell menus in the correct
> language).
>
> Do I need to wait for an update to this patch or maybe a MUI update?
> Did anyone with MUI applied had this problem?
>
> Regards.

Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 18-11-2007
sajid
 
Posts: n/a
Re: KB943460 and Windows XP SP2 MUI

i had same problem remove hot fix KB943460 from add remove program.and
turnoff windows autoupdate (if you do not turnoff autoupdate xp will download
it again) wait for microsoft to fix it

> >
> > For home users, no-charge support is available by calling 1-866-PCSAFETY in the United
> > States and Canada or by contacting your local Microsoft subsidiary.
> >
> > For more information about how to contact your local Microsoft subsidiary for security
> > update support issues, visit the International Support Web site:
> >> http://support.microsoft.com/common/international.aspx

> >

>
> MowGreen [MVP 2003-2008]
> ===============
> *-343-* FDNY
> Never Forgotten
> ===============
>
>
>
> Abu Anas wrote:
>
> > I am using Windows XP SP2 MUI (Default English, Second user Arabic). After
> > appling KB943460 update the Arabic user interface started to show items in
> > English only and sometimes Mixed menus (Some English other Arabic). AFAIK the
> > KB943460 update modifies the shell files. So I tried to uninstall the update
> > and the interface went bak to normal (showing shell menus in the correct
> > language).
> >
> > Do I need to wait for an update to this patch or maybe a MUI update?
> > Did anyone with MUI applied had this problem?
> >
> > Regards.

>

Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 18-11-2007
antioch
 
Posts: n/a
Re: KB943460 and Windows XP SP2 MUI


"sajid" <sajid@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:0B9DD8FB-BBA8-4AD3-9C30-20A6CF66A28A@microsoft.com...
>i had same problem remove hot fix KB943460 from add remove program.and
> turnoff windows autoupdate (if you do not turnoff autoupdate xp will
> download
> it again) wait for microsoft to fix it


You dont have to turn off autoupdates - just hide that update in the Hidden
Folder in WU Home - this will stop the yellow shield popping up and you can
get it out next time you go to WU.
Antioch





Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 19-11-2007
MowGreen [MVP]
 
Posts: n/a
Re: KB943460 and Windows XP SP2 MUI

Frankly speaking, this is a Critical Security update issued because
there is an active exploit of the vulnerability discussed here:
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sec...ry/943521.mspx

Microsoft Security Bulletin MS07-061 Critical
Vulnerability in Windows URI Handling Could Allow Remote Code Execution
(943460)
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sec.../MS07-061.mspx

> Microsoft has not identified any workarounds for this vulnerability.


You really need to get this update installed ASAP !
Not reporting it so that MS is unaware of the issue you've experienced
is not wise in this situation.
It's a NO-CHARGE support case.


MowGreen [MVP 2003-2008]
===============
*-343-* FDNY
Never Forgotten
===============



sajid wrote:

> i had same problem remove hot fix KB943460 from add remove program.and
> turnoff windows autoupdate (if you do not turnoff autoupdate xp will download
> it again) wait for microsoft to fix it
>
>
>>>For home users, no-charge support is available by calling 1-866-PCSAFETY in the United
>>>States and Canada or by contacting your local Microsoft subsidiary.

>>
>> >

>>
>>>For more information about how to contact your local Microsoft subsidiary for security
>>>update support issues, visit the International Support Web site:
>>>
>>>>http://support.microsoft.com/common/international.aspx
>>>

>>MowGreen [MVP 2003-2008]
>>===============
>> *-343-* FDNY
>>Never Forgotten
>>===============
>>
>>
>>
>>Abu Anas wrote:
>>
>>
>>>I am using Windows XP SP2 MUI (Default English, Second user Arabic). After
>>>appling KB943460 update the Arabic user interface started to show items in
>>>English only and sometimes Mixed menus (Some English other Arabic). AFAIK the
>>>KB943460 update modifies the shell files. So I tried to uninstall the update
>>>and the interface went bak to normal (showing shell menus in the correct
>>>language).
>>>
>>>Do I need to wait for an update to this patch or maybe a MUI update?
>>>Did anyone with MUI applied had this problem?
>>>
>>>Regards.

>>

Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 19-11-2007
antioch
 
Posts: n/a
Re: KB943460 and Windows XP SP2 MUI


"MowGreen [MVP]" <mowgreen@nowandzen.com> wrote in message
news:OWx94RiKIHA.4272@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl...
> Frankly speaking, this is a Critical Security update issued because there
> is an active exploit of the vulnerability discussed here:
> You really need to get this update installed ASAP !
> Not reporting it so that MS is unaware of the issue you've experienced is
> not wise in this situation.
> It's a NO-CHARGE support case.
>
>
> MowGreen [MVP 2003-2008]
> ===============
> *-343-* FDNY
> Never Forgotten
> ===============
>


You are so right Mow - I should have added that tucking it away until [:-)]
MS get a fix but dont forget it is there.

Antioch









Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 20-11-2007
sajid
 
Posts: n/a
Re: KB943460 and Windows XP SP2 MUI

i am still wating for MS to fix this problem.i know i should not turn off
auto update
but what can i do?is there any trick i can apply without removing KB943460.

"antioch" wrote:

>
> "MowGreen [MVP]" <mowgreen@nowandzen.com> wrote in message
> news:OWx94RiKIHA.4272@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl...
> > Frankly speaking, this is a Critical Security update issued because there
> > is an active exploit of the vulnerability discussed here:
> > You really need to get this update installed ASAP !
> > Not reporting it so that MS is unaware of the issue you've experienced is
> > not wise in this situation.
> > It's a NO-CHARGE support case.
> >
> >
> > MowGreen [MVP 2003-2008]
> > ===============
> > *-343-* FDNY
> > Never Forgotten
> > ===============
> >

>
> You are so right Mow - I should have added that tucking it away until [:-)]
> MS get a fix but dont forget it is there.
>
> Antioch
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>

Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 28-11-2007
sajid
 
Posts: n/a
Re: KB943460 and Windows XP SP2 MUI

man still no fix from microsoft :(

"sajid" wrote:

> i am still wating for MS to fix this problem.i know i should not turn off
> auto update
> but what can i do?is there any trick i can apply without removing KB943460.
>
> "antioch" wrote:
>
> >
> > "MowGreen [MVP]" <mowgreen@nowandzen.com> wrote in message
> > news:OWx94RiKIHA.4272@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl...
> > > Frankly speaking, this is a Critical Security update issued because there
> > > is an active exploit of the vulnerability discussed here:
> > > You really need to get this update installed ASAP !
> > > Not reporting it so that MS is unaware of the issue you've experienced is
> > > not wise in this situation.
> > > It's a NO-CHARGE support case.
> > >
> > >
> > > MowGreen [MVP 2003-2008]
> > > ===============
> > > *-343-* FDNY
> > > Never Forgotten
> > > ===============
> > >

> >
> > You are so right Mow - I should have added that tucking it away until [:-)]
> > MS get a fix but dont forget it is there.
> >
> > Antioch
> >
> >
> >
> >
> >
> >
> >
> >
> >
> >

Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 28-11-2007
antioch
 
Posts: n/a
Re: KB943460 and Windows XP SP2 MUI


"sajid" <sajid@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:2B2F13D8-8C87-459E-9313-966957D66F46@microsoft.com...
> man still no fix from microsoft :(
>


What methods have you tried to get this downloaded/installed - there is more
than one way to try.

Antioch




Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 01-12-2007
sajid
 
Posts: n/a
Re: KB943460 and Windows XP SP2 MUI



"antioch" wrote:

>
> "sajid" <sajid@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> news:2B2F13D8-8C87-459E-9313-966957D66F46@microsoft.com...
> > man still no fix from microsoft :(
> >

>
> What methods have you tried to get this downloaded/installed - there is more
> than one way to try.
>
> Antioch
>
> i am used autoupdate and manual update same problem.the problem is in shell32.dll file \windows\system32. >
>
>

Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 02-12-2007
antioch
 
Posts: n/a
Re: KB943460 and Windows XP SP2 MUI


"sajid" <sajid@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:46A9D88E-2647-44E7-9ED3-943DE3ADF5A8@microsoft.com...
>
>
> "antioch" wrote:
>
>>
>> "sajid" <sajid@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> news:2B2F13D8-8C87-459E-9313-966957D66F46@microsoft.com...
>> > man still no fix from microsoft :(
>> >

>>
>> What methods have you tried to get this downloaded/installed - there is
>> more
>> than one way to try.
>>
>> Antioch
>>
>> i am used autoupdate and manual update same problem.the problem is in
>> shell32.dll file \windows\system32. >
>>


Sajid
Try not to reply within my post - I nearly missed yours.
Then I think your only move is as already advised - start a free Windows
Update support incident request:

http://support.microsoft.com/oas/def...6527&x=14&y=15

Rgds
Antioch



Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 02-01-2008
sajid
 
Posts: n/a
Re: KB943460 and Windows XP SP2 MUI

i think microsoft does not care about it. no solution

"antioch" wrote:

>
> "sajid" <sajid@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> news:46A9D88E-2647-44E7-9ED3-943DE3ADF5A8@microsoft.com...
> >
> >
> > "antioch" wrote:
> >
> >>
> >> "sajid" <sajid@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >> news:2B2F13D8-8C87-459E-9313-966957D66F46@microsoft.com...
> >> > man still no fix from microsoft :(
> >> >
> >>
> >> What methods have you tried to get this downloaded/installed - there is
> >> more
> >> than one way to try.
> >>
> >> Antioch
> >>
> >> i am used autoupdate and manual update same problem.the problem is in
> >> shell32.dll file \windows\system32. >
> >>

>
> Sajid
> Try not to reply within my post - I nearly missed yours.
> Then I think your only move is as already advised - start a free Windows
> Update support incident request:
>
> http://support.microsoft.com/oas/def...6527&x=14&y=15
>
> Rgds
> Antioch
>
>
>
>

Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 01-04-2008
Zaher Al-Sibai
 
Posts: n/a
Re: KB943460 and Windows XP SP2 MUI

This is solved in KB945648: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/945648

I have not tried the solution myself but it is clear that it is the correct
solution for this problem.

Regards,

Zaher.

"sajid" wrote:

> i think microsoft does not care about it. no solution
>
> "antioch" wrote:
>
> >
> > "sajid" <sajid@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > news:46A9D88E-2647-44E7-9ED3-943DE3ADF5A8@microsoft.com...
> > >
> > >
> > > "antioch" wrote:
> > >
> > >>
> > >> "sajid" <sajid@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > >> news:2B2F13D8-8C87-459E-9313-966957D66F46@microsoft.com...
> > >> > man still no fix from microsoft :(
> > >> >
> > >>
> > >> What methods have you tried to get this downloaded/installed - there is
> > >> more
> > >> than one way to try.
> > >>
> > >> Antioch
> > >>
> > >> i am used autoupdate and manual update same problem.the problem is in
> > >> shell32.dll file \windows\system32. >
> > >>

> >
> > Sajid
> > Try not to reply within my post - I nearly missed yours.
> > Then I think your only move is as already advised - start a free Windows
> > Update support incident request:
> >
> > http://support.microsoft.com/oas/def...6527&x=14&y=15
> >
> > Rgds
> > Antioch
> >
> >
> >
> >

Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 10-04-2008
Abu Anas
 
Posts: n/a
Re: KB943460 and Windows XP SP2 MUI

>"Zaher Al-Sibai" wrote:

> This is solved in KB945648: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/945648
>
> I have not tried the solution myself but it is clear that it is the correct
> solution for this problem.
>
> Regards,
>
> Zaher.
>


I tried it on 3 workstations in my office and so far no complaints.
Regards
Abu Anas
Reply With Quote
Reply

  TechArena Community > Technical Support > Computer Help > Windows XP > Windows Update
Tags: ,



Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads for: "KB943460 and Windows XP SP2 MUI"
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Software Distribution Service 3.0 (KB943460) SR Windows Update 22 12-08-2009 10:41 AM


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 07:15 PM.