Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Windows update will not install updates for XP

Windows update will not install updates for XP

Hey, was wonderin if anyone can give me a hand regarding this problem.

I try to go to windows update and get the newest updates, they will download but not install.
    these are the following updates that did not install

Security Update for Windows XP (KB2544893)
    Security Update for Windows XP (KB2535512)
    Security Update for Windows XP (KB2536276)
    Security Update for .NET Framework 2.0 SP2 and 3.5 SP1 on Windows Server 2003 and Windows XP x86 (KB2518864)
    Security Update for Windows XP (KB2476490)
    Security Update for Windows XP (KB2503665)
    Security Update for Internet Explorer 8 for Windows XP (KB2544521)
    Cumulative Security Update for Internet Explorer 8 for Windows XP (KB2530548)
    Security Update for .NET Framework 2.0 SP2 and 3.5 SP1 on Windows Server 2003 and Windows XP x86 (KB2478658)
    Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool - June 2011 (KB890830)

Microsoft Office 2007
    Update for Microsoft Office 2007 System (KB2539530)
    Security Update for the 2007 Microsoft Office System (KB2541012)

Microsoft Visual Studio 2005
    Security Update for Microsoft Visual C++ 2005 Service Pack 1 Redistributable Package (KB2538242)

Microsoft Visual Studio 2008
    Security Update for Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 Service Pack 1 Redistributable Package (KB2538243)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

i tried going to http://support.microsoft.com/kb/943144>
    and seeing if that helps but it didn't.

I looked at the other threads which suggested
    Follow these easy steps:

1. Click Start > Run and type regsvr32 wuapi.dll

2. When you receive the message that the DLL has been registered, click OK
    and perform the same steps for each of the following commands under Start >
    Run:
    regsvr32 wuaueng1.dll
    regsvr32 wuaueng.dll
    regsvr32 wucltui.dll
    regsvr32 wups2.dll
    regsvr32 wups.dll
    regsvr32 wuweb.dll

but again it didn't help.

I am running windows XP, have Shaw secure antivirus and firewall. This pc is connected to a router (using a static ip).
    I have run the antivirus, spybot s&d, spyware blaster, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, and Registry Repair Wizard, and all of these say there is no virus, spyware or malware.

Another thing is when i try to put my pc to standby, the fans keep running where as before they would slow/stop so you do not hear them. i do not know if this is related to the windows update problem.

also, i cannot access system information, it says "the service is not running and to go to help and support" though i'd mention it just in case.

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated

Re: Windows update will not install updates for XP

ok after reading your question i just want to know if you have recently clean installed the windows xp in your system, if your answer is yes then let me inform you that the updates will not get installed in it and so the reason behind that is the Wups2.dll file that is included in the latest version of Windows Update. Which cannot be found in the new install. So what you have to do is First download and install the windows update agent and after you are done with that register the Wups2.dll file. That will fix the problem.

hi Blazej,
    i am not sure what you mean by "clean install", the last time i was forced to reformat and reinstall windows xp was about 2-3 yrs ago,

thanks
    Pj

i forgot to mention that i have all the updates up until May 2011

Quote Originally Posted by pj_singh View Post
    hi Blazej,
    i am not sure what you mean by "clean install", the last time i was forced to reformat and reinstall windows xp was about 2-3 yrs ago,
    Clean install means a Fresh complete install. In details, just backup only your files/data from the system (nothing else), insert the installation disk, format the complete drive and than install the fresh copy of windows. This may fix the problem for sure.

i have not recently clean installed windows

Quote Originally Posted by Blazej View Post
    ok after reading your question i just want to know if you have recently clean installed the windows xp in your system, if your answer is yes then let me inform you that the updates will not get installed in it and so the reason behind that is the Wups2.dll file that is included in the latest version of Windows Update. Which cannot be found in the new install. So what you have to do is First download and install the windows update agent and after you are done with that register the Wups2.dll file. That will fix the problem.
    I have the problem with the .NET Framework updates. I recall I had the problem a while ago and fixed it but I can't remember how. Uninstalling and re-installing and numerous reboots is NOT a solution I want to hear about! I have the file Wups2.dll in my System32 directory.

Can't recall if SP3 was the means of fixing it; it certainly upsets other things!

ATVB
    David

As far as i know that you cannot directly update the .NET Framework. you should uninstall the previous version and then install the new version. First uninstall the older version of .NET Framework using Add/Remove programs. If you think that the system still leftover some files then you can manually go to the root folder and find that particular folder to delete it by yourself. Furthermore make sure to run the Registry cleaner. it also helps you to remove the residuary entries. After all this reboot the PC and install the latest version of .NET Framework.

But MS is offering me two at the moment and I don't really know what .NET Framework is for!

The two I am being offered have KB refs 2478658 and 518864 if that's any help!

I think I will just un-install all the .NET Framework entries in Control Panel and see what happens!

ATVB
    David

The .NET Framework version improves scalability and performance of applications with improved caching, application deployment and updating with ClickOnce, support for the broadest array of browsers and devices with ASP.NET 2.0 controls and services. For more information on the .NET Framework 2.0, click here. Can you try to right click on my computer and check which version of Service pack is installed in your pc? If it is not the latest Service pack 3 then I would recommend you to click on start and at the top click on microsoft update and let your computer update to the latest windows update.

Hi Einstein_007

Very many thanks for that reply. I am most impressed by this forum after being bitterly disappointed by others on other topics!

I read through the link and will sort things out later!

When you mention SP3, I assume you mean XP Pro SP3. I am not, I confess, aware of the build of the version I have. I can't determine any build standard for SP3 from System Properties!

I have determined by other means that it is build 2600. Now surely Automatic Updates would have sorted that for me. Will check and resolve!

All-in-all an extremely helpful reply and you have my gratitude! I just hope that I may be able to reciprocate at some juncture!

Follow up.

Well, the system was almost completely up to date anyway apart from the offending updates I declared and now 3 others (all .NET Framework) which I had rejected before, must have been when I had the problem previously!).

So still back on the blocks!!

Quote Originally Posted by TopCav View Post
    Follow up.

Well, the system was almost completely up to date anyway apart from the offending updates I declared and now 3 others (all .NET Framework) which I had rejected before, must have been when I had the problem previously!).

So still back on the blocks!!
    I cannot get what exactly is the problem that you are facing but can you try to register the Wups2.dll file in Windows for you by clicking the Fix it button or link here. Click Run in the File Download dialog box, and follow the steps in the Fix it wizard. Or download and install the Windows Update Agent from here.

Quote Originally Posted by james_911 View Post
    I cannot get what exactly is the problem that you are facing but can you try to register the Wups2.dll file in Windows for you by clicking the Fix it button or link here. Click Run in the File Download dialog box, and follow the steps in the Fix it wizard. Or download and install the Windows Update Agent from here.
    Thanks James

Been a bit indisposed so late in picking this up.

My problem started with constantly being presented with the same .NET Framework updates which I would let the updater apply and all seemed well (no error messages - but I gather that is normal!). Then a few minutes later I am offered the same updates again! I have Auto Update set to download the updates and notify me, don't like MS to be in full control.

Have since followed all manner of advice for fixes and the more I dig, the more I find that this is a real minefield.

I still don't understand why it is necessary to find files and manually register them, why can't Windows do that automatically? I have now spent many hours on this problem and that is not what my machine is for, it is a tool on which I do work; OK, only hobby stuff now.

I will try what you suggest and report back!

VMT
    David

PS. Just tried but your links didn't work for me!
    Last edited by TopCav; 03-07-2011 at 10:01 PM.

Well, done all that and it doesn't make a bit of difference. I am still being offered 5 updates which are NOT appearing in Control Panel/Add or Remove programmes but keep adding to the list in my update history and logged there as successful.

.NET Framework looks like just another MS white elephant!

Is there any mileage in uninstalling as much as one can and then re-installing the required bits if required by an application?

Is there anywhere a list of applications which require .NET Framework? It may even be that the ones I have on the machine could be dispensed with!

Life used to be relatively easy!!

ATVB
    David

so im going to assume im better off doin a clean install??

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast