Go Back   TechArena Community > Technical Support > Computer Help > Windows XP > Windows Update
Become a Member!
Forgot your username/password?
Tags Active Topics RSS Search Mark Forums Read

Sponsored Links

Mouse doesn't work on Word after Vista update

Windows Update

Old 09-05-2007
gpsmapper

Mouse doesn't work on Word after Vista update

Vista updated overnight and now my mouse (external or mouse pad)
doesn't work on Word. I can close the window with the mouse, but it
doesn't even show in the document itself. When I close the window, I
get a message that Word keeps crashing, but Microsoft doesn't come up
with a fix. It suggested I run a Windows diagnostic program, which
turned up no problems. Any suggestions? I'm a little hampered since
I'm composing this from work on a different machine.

Old 10-05-2007
realcestmoi

Re: Mouse doesn't work on Word after Vista update

Hi there,

You probably took in a driver from Windows Update which is not a good idea.

Drivers if they are REALLY needed to be updated because the hardware is not
working well should only be taken from the manufacturers website.

You can try rolling back on the driver of the hardware that has the problem
or use system restore in safe mode and restore to a date before the problem
occured.

Good Luck and best regards
Old 18-06-2007

Mouse stops working in Word 2007 on Vista

The exact same thing occurs for me, and I have not taken any mouse driver updates. There are none to roll back to.

When I first open a word doc, everything is fine. Once I switch to another app, and then return to Word, the document area of the Word application handles no mouse events. The ribbon and menus function just fine, just the document area is 'dead'.

I sure hope MS remedies this soon as Word is pretty much useless once this occurs.
Old 22-08-2007

same thing "exactly" happened to me as well - no drivers were taken from
the MS Update... did anyone solve this issue?

btw, tried to uninstall Word and then reinstall it - didn't solve the problem

appreciate it if anyone could drop a word here

thanks,

pro
Old 23-08-2007

This is also happening to me. Not sure if it was related to a vista update, but it did "just stop" working. This is also on a less than 2 week old system with just the basic softare installed. Anybody have a fix??

following these steps solved my problem. For me it was the snagit plugin. Could be somethign else for you.
Old 11-09-2008

Just happened to me as well!

I just had this same experience, yet I don't see a word about it on Microsoft's forums. I don't really want to muck around in the registry. What's going on?
Old 19-09-2008

Vista Update

I know, I was squeamish about modifying my registry too, but it's just a rename if you read it carefully. It does really make the difference and if it doesn't, you can go back and name it back to what it was.

This is actually the second time I have had this problem. I had it when I first installed 2007 on my xp machine and now after this last set of Vista updates. It works!
Old 29-10-2008

I also had the exact same problem the first time I updated Vista. This time, it was the snagit application which I uninstalled. It works now but I still get the error message when I close Word.

Wonderful baby!! Just wanted to say thanks for this regedit tip. Renaming the data key fixed a problem I had just begun experiencing. Thanks again so much!
Old 16-06-2009

Re: Solution

The Snagit plugin also wrecked my mouse function. Setting the registry value to 0 for it solved the issue.

It's really odd that it started happening after receiving a package of Windows Security Updates (KB961501, KB968537, KB969897, KB969898, and KB970238) on 6/11 and appears to have nothing to do with any MS Office or Snagit updates.
Old 20-06-2009

Yep - I have the same issue as of about 3 days ago. I had this problem 1 year ago and an update fixed it. I can't believe it's back. Can someone explain the regedit fix or an alternative fix? Thanks much!

TechArena Community > Technical Support > Computer Help > Windows XP > Windows Update
Tags: , , ,