Provided by Chris
Microsoft Windows Update Support Professional.
Try this procedure, Step 1 fixed this error for me.
From the problem description, I understand that the update KB929777 failed
to be installed and the error code 8000FFFF was received. Please feel free to
let me know if I misunderstood the issue.
I understand the inconvenience you encountered when trying to perform
Windows Update. Please be assured that I will do my best to help you.
The issue may be caused by the following factors:
1. The installation is affected by some third-party security software.
2. The downloaded installation file is corrupted.
In order to narrow down the cause of our issue, let's refer to the following
NOTE: Some third party programs can affect the Windows Update service. If
you are running any third party applications such as Spyblocker, Internet or
web accelerators (programs designed to boost the speed of the Internet
connection), security or anti-virus programs (Norton, McAfee, etc.), I
recommend we temporarily disable or shut them down and then try accessing the
Windows Update site later. Please be sure to enable them again when the
update process has been completed.
Step 1: Reload the Update temporary folders
This step can help us reload the downloaded installation files.
1. Click Start, Run, type: cmd and press Enter. Please run the following
command in the opened window.
Net stop WuAuServ
2. Click Start, Run, type: %windir% and press Enter.
3. In the opened folder, rename the folder SoftwareDistribution to Sdold.
4. Click Start, Run, type: cmd and press Enter. Please run the following
command in the opened window.
Net start WuAuServ
If it does not work, let's refer to the following steps to manually download
and install the update in Safe Mode. In Safe Mode, any security software will
not be launched.
Step 2: Download and install the update manually.
1. Please download the updates from
Please note its location.
2. Restart the computer.
3. Keep pressing the F8 key until the Windows Startup menu appears.
4. Choose Safe Mode, and press Enter.
5. Please install the update in the Safe Mode.
Note: In Safe Mode, your system display and Desktop will look and perform
differently than in Normal Mode. This is only temporary. We can just restart
the computer to switch to Normal Mode.
However, if an error is encountered when installing the update manually,
please capture a screenshot for further research
How to capture a Screenshot:
1. When the error appears, please press the Print Screen key (PrtScn) on
2. Click Start, click Run, type MSPAINT, and click OK.
3. In Paint, click Paste under the Edit Menu, click Save under the File
menu, type a file name for the screenshot, choose JPEG as "Save as type",
click "Desktop" on the left pane, and click Save.
4. Please find the screenshot on the Desktop and send it as an attachment
Please try the steps above. If the issue persists, please also assist me in
collecting the latest Windows Update Log for further research.
1. Click on Start, Run and type "WindowsUpdate.log" (without the quotes)
2. Click on the OK button. We will see a file named "WindowsUpdate.log"
3. Now click on the "File" menu and then click on the "Save As" and select
"Desktop" in the "Save in" option on the top of the window.
4. Click on the Save button. The file will be saved to your Desktop. Please
send the file as an attachment in an email to email@example.com
However, if the file is unable to be collected by the above steps, we can
also use the following method to collect it.
1. Click "Start", "Run", type: %windir% and then press Enter.
2. In the open window, we will see a file named "WindowsUpdate.log"
3. Please send it as an attachment to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Note: When attaching files to emails, the process will vary depending on the
email application being used. While you are composing the email, most
applications will provide you with either an "Attach" button or Paper Clip
Icon to click in order to attach a file. After clicking this button/icon you
must browse to the file you wish to attach and select it by either double
clicking it or clicking it once and then clicking on the "Attach" button.