Go Back   TechArena Community > Technical Support > Computer Help > Windows XP > Windows Update
Become a Member!
Forgot your username/password?
Tags Active Topics RSS Search Mark Forums Read

Sponsored Links



Update for Windows Vista (KB929777)

Windows Update


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
  #16  
Old 14-05-2007
Robin Walker [MVP]
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Update for Windows Vista (KB929777)

KrazyKat <KrazyKat@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
> "Robin Walker [MVP]" wrote:
>
>> 929777 will only install on Vista with more than 3GB RAM, so it is
>> correct that it does not install when you have only 2GB RAM.

>
> ok, that makes sense. but how do you install a patch for a system
> which can't install unless you modify the system so that you don't
> need the patch anymore


You should install the patch with 4GB of RAM installed.

As I said, more details of the nature of the installation failure with 4GB
are required. As far as I have been able to see, you havn't told us
anything about that yet.

--
Robin Walker [MVP Networking]
rdhw@cam.ac.uk


Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 14-05-2007
KrazyKat
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Update for Windows Vista (KB929777)



"Robin Walker [MVP]" wrote:

> As I said, more details of the nature of the installation failure with 4GB
> are required. As far as I have been able to see, you havn't told us
> anything about that yet.

i get the exact same error as Walter described in the initial posting of
this thread.
here is what i did now:
1.i uninstalled patch 929777
2.added my 1 GB again, so i have 3 GB installed
3.manually downloaded the patch and installed it
4.added the 4th GB of RAM
5.waiting to see what happens.

Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 16-05-2007
steve841
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Update for Windows Vista (KB929777)

What an insult!

If you'd spend 1 minute searching this article and the associated error
message.. you'd see this is a problem common to everyone with more than 3gb
of memory.

The windows update fails to install. It's not limited to this thread. MS
either fails to realize the issue or has not bothered to get around to yet
another patch to fix another problem.



"Robin Walker [MVP]" wrote:

> KrazyKat <KrazyKat@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
> > "Robin Walker [MVP]" wrote:
> >
> >> 929777 will only install on Vista with more than 3GB RAM, so it is
> >> correct that it does not install when you have only 2GB RAM.

> >
> > ok, that makes sense. but how do you install a patch for a system
> > which can't install unless you modify the system so that you don't
> > need the patch anymore

>
> You should install the patch with 4GB of RAM installed.
>
> As I said, more details of the nature of the installation failure with 4GB
> are required. As far as I have been able to see, you havn't told us
> anything about that yet.
>
> --
> Robin Walker [MVP Networking]
> rdhw@cam.ac.uk
>
>
>

Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 18-05-2007
Dell 4GB 8000FFFF
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Update for Windows Vista (KB929777)

I'm having the same problem. A Dell PC with 4gb ram - this update will just
not install.

The log is as follows:

007-05-17 23:32:01:369 1080 398 Agent *************
2007-05-17 23:32:01:369 1080 398 Agent ** START ** Agent: Finding updates
[CallerId = AutomaticUpdates]
2007-05-17 23:32:01:369 1080 398 Agent *********
2007-05-17 23:32:01:384 1080 e14 AU AU received handle event
2007-05-17 23:32:08:264 1080 398 Agent * Added update
{81E579BF-3714-4464-BCE1-AB1826B8A1B4}.100 to search result
2007-05-17 23:32:08:264 1080 398 Agent * Found 1 updates and 16 categories
in search
2007-05-17 23:32:08:264 1080 398 Agent *********
2007-05-17 23:32:08:264 1080 398 Agent ** END ** Agent: Finding updates
[CallerId = AutomaticUpdates]
2007-05-17 23:32:08:264 1080 398 Agent *************
2007-05-17 23:32:08:264 1080 398 Report REPORT EVENT:
{8D15153D-C1AA-4A93-A25A-A23AB3FAA751} 2007-05-17
23:31:59:403+0100 1 182 101 {81E579BF-3714-4464-BCE1-AB1826B8A1B4} 100 8000ffff AutomaticUpdates Failure Content
Install Installation Failure: Windows failed to install the following update
with error 0x8000ffff: Update for Windows Vista (KB929777).

I really don't want to have to remove parts of the machine to get it to
install. I think Microsoft should fix this problem.


"steve841" wrote:

> What an insult!
>
> If you'd spend 1 minute searching this article and the associated error
> message.. you'd see this is a problem common to everyone with more than 3gb
> of memory.
>
> The windows update fails to install. It's not limited to this thread. MS
> either fails to realize the issue or has not bothered to get around to yet
> another patch to fix another problem.
>
>
>
> "Robin Walker [MVP]" wrote:
>
> > KrazyKat <KrazyKat@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
> > > "Robin Walker [MVP]" wrote:
> > >
> > >> 929777 will only install on Vista with more than 3GB RAM, so it is
> > >> correct that it does not install when you have only 2GB RAM.
> > >
> > > ok, that makes sense. but how do you install a patch for a system
> > > which can't install unless you modify the system so that you don't
> > > need the patch anymore

> >
> > You should install the patch with 4GB of RAM installed.
> >
> > As I said, more details of the nature of the installation failure with 4GB
> > are required. As far as I have been able to see, you havn't told us
> > anything about that yet.
> >
> > --
> > Robin Walker [MVP Networking]
> > rdhw@cam.ac.uk
> >
> >
> >

Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 01-06-2007
steve841
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Update for Windows Vista (KB929777)

Well ... I found an answer that worked for me....

Here are the steps I took:

Control panel > Programs and Features > View installled updates
REMOVE THE KB29777 that is listed as already being installed...
REBOOT PC
Go to
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...displayLang=en

Download the KB29777 file manually ... install it.
REBOOT PC

Run Windows update... mine says the update was required ... so I installed.
Next thing I knew ... the reply was "installation successful" ... I have
no more problems!

"Dell 4GB 8000FFFF" wrote:

> I'm having the same problem. A Dell PC with 4gb ram - this update will just
> not install.
>
> The log is as follows:
>
> 007-05-17 23:32:01:369 1080 398 Agent *************
> 2007-05-17 23:32:01:369 1080 398 Agent ** START ** Agent: Finding updates
> [CallerId = AutomaticUpdates]
> 2007-05-17 23:32:01:369 1080 398 Agent *********
> 2007-05-17 23:32:01:384 1080 e14 AU AU received handle event
> 2007-05-17 23:32:08:264 1080 398 Agent * Added update
> {81E579BF-3714-4464-BCE1-AB1826B8A1B4}.100 to search result
> 2007-05-17 23:32:08:264 1080 398 Agent * Found 1 updates and 16 categories
> in search
> 2007-05-17 23:32:08:264 1080 398 Agent *********
> 2007-05-17 23:32:08:264 1080 398 Agent ** END ** Agent: Finding updates
> [CallerId = AutomaticUpdates]
> 2007-05-17 23:32:08:264 1080 398 Agent *************
> 2007-05-17 23:32:08:264 1080 398 Report REPORT EVENT:
> {8D15153D-C1AA-4A93-A25A-A23AB3FAA751} 2007-05-17
> 23:31:59:403+0100 1 182 101 {81E579BF-3714-4464-BCE1-AB1826B8A1B4} 100 8000ffff AutomaticUpdates Failure Content
> Install Installation Failure: Windows failed to install the following update
> with error 0x8000ffff: Update for Windows Vista (KB929777).
>
> I really don't want to have to remove parts of the machine to get it to
> install. I think Microsoft should fix this problem.
>
>
> "steve841" wrote:
>
> > What an insult!
> >
> > If you'd spend 1 minute searching this article and the associated error
> > message.. you'd see this is a problem common to everyone with more than 3gb
> > of memory.
> >
> > The windows update fails to install. It's not limited to this thread. MS
> > either fails to realize the issue or has not bothered to get around to yet
> > another patch to fix another problem.
> >
> >
> >
> > "Robin Walker [MVP]" wrote:
> >
> > > KrazyKat <KrazyKat@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
> > > > "Robin Walker [MVP]" wrote:
> > > >
> > > >> 929777 will only install on Vista with more than 3GB RAM, so it is
> > > >> correct that it does not install when you have only 2GB RAM.
> > > >
> > > > ok, that makes sense. but how do you install a patch for a system
> > > > which can't install unless you modify the system so that you don't
> > > > need the patch anymore
> > >
> > > You should install the patch with 4GB of RAM installed.
> > >
> > > As I said, more details of the nature of the installation failure with 4GB
> > > are required. As far as I have been able to see, you havn't told us
> > > anything about that yet.
> > >
> > > --
> > > Robin Walker [MVP Networking]
> > > rdhw@cam.ac.uk
> > >
> > >
> > >

Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 28-12-2007
Bruce8309
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Update for Windows Vista (KB929777)

Steve 841,

Thanks, I tried your solution to the KB 929777 install issue and according
to my computer, all went well with the Windows update. Thanks!




Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 30-01-2008
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 1
Failed Update (KB929777)

The answer to why this update is failing is you have a 32bit version of vista, and that you have more than 2Gb of RAM, 32Bit will only utilize 2Gb, I removed all the RAM except for 1Gb Rebooted the Computer, Then went to installed updates and removed the (KB929777) and rebooted, then manually installed the update, Thought the update is recommended its not important. Still its an update that needs some attention by microsoft. As the reason this update and others that will occur to be an issue will be released with the SP1 when it is released, of wich that only opens up doors for security vulnerabilities. Hope this helps some, this i learned from the Dell Techs. I followed there steps and wahlah installed perfectly,
Vista 32Bit- will only utilize 2Gb of RAM-This Doesnt Mean there is no need for the extra. I have 4Gb of DDRll 6400 800Mhz.
Vista 64Bit- will only utilize 4Gb

To me i believe Microsoft should have spent a little more time in noticing these types of issues and releasing Vista Later as, now many are downgrading back to XP, Dont Blame then will the trouble they have, me i dont have much trouble that i cant fix
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 07-05-2008
chris watts
 
Posts: n/a
Thanks

Thanks Steve, deleting the KB929777 from the programs and installing a stand alone download worked a treat.
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 07-06-2008
Natalie
 
Posts: n/a
RE: Update for Windows Vista (KB929777)

Same Problem DELL INSPIRON WINDOWS VISTA, 4Gb RAM, Going to ignore as
irritating as it is. value my sanity. To hell with KB929777

"Owen Carmen" wrote:

> Hi there,
>
> I too have the same problem trying to install KB929777.
>
> I have a new DELL Dimension XPS PC running Vista Ultimate with 3 gig of RAM.
> I have looked into the reasons for the update and it appears that the update
> is required on XP prior to upgrading to vista when you have more than 2 gig
> of RAM.
>
> Why then - I ask myself - is my pre-installed vista ultimate trying to
> install an update that it doesn't actually need?
>
> I was also flabbergasted to see Microsoft's workaround for the KB article
> was to remove the RAM from the PC to get the software installed. - Surely
> that is way off the mark? - No?
>
> I have Office 2007 and that's about it. There is no other software installed
> on the PC - not even an A/Virus package yet.
>
> Please help - Iím getting frustrated with constant reminders that there is
> an update that needs installing; only it fails every time I try.
>
> Many thanks,
>
> Owen Carmen
>
> "GarFish" wrote:
>
> > This fix came from Chris
> > <v-30chrd@mssupport.microsoft.com>
> >
> > Microsoft Windows Update Support Professional
> >
> > From the problem description, I understand that the update KB929777 failed
> > to be installed and the error code 8000FFFF was received. Please feel free to
> > let me know if I misunderstood the issue.
> >
> > I understand the inconvenience you encountered when trying to perform
> > Windows Update. Please be assured that I will do my best to help you.
> >
> > The issue may be caused by the following factors:
> >
> > 1. The installation is affected by some third-party security software.
> > 2. The downloaded installation file is corrupted.
> >
> > In order to narrow down the cause of our issue, let's refer to the following
> > steps:
> >
> > NOTE: Some third party programs can affect the Windows Update service. If
> > you are running any third party applications such as Spyblocker, Internet or
> > web accelerators (programs designed to boost the speed of the Internet
> > connection), security or anti-virus programs (Norton, McAfee, etc.), I
> > recommend we temporarily disable or shut them down and then try accessing the
> > Windows Update site later. Please be sure to enable them again when the
> > update process has been completed.
> >
> > Step 1: Reload the Update temporary folders
> > ===================================
> >
> > This step can help us reload the downloaded installation files.
> >
> > 1. Click Start, Run, type: cmd and press Enter. Please run the following
> > command in the opened window.
> >
> > Net stop WuAuServ
> >
> > 2. Click Start, Run, type: %windir% and press Enter.
> >
> > 3. In the opened folder, rename the folder SoftwareDistribution to Sdold.
> >
> > 4. Click Start, Run, type: cmd and press Enter. Please run the following
> > command in the opened window.
> >
> > Net start WuAuServ
> >
> >
> >
> > "Walter" wrote:
> >
> > > on update Update for Windows Vista (KB929777)
> > >
> > > error message "Failed:1 update
> > > Error(s) found:
> > > Code 8000FFFF
> > >
> > > I have tried to install it 4 times now I keep getting the same error message.
> > > So what is my problem?
> > >
> > > --
> > > Life is what you make of it,learn from your mistakes and be kind to others.

Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 20-01-2009
Headslinger
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Update for Windows Vista (KB929777)



"KrazyKat" wrote:

>
>
> "Robin Walker [MVP]" wrote:
>
> > 929777 will only install on Vista with more than 3GB RAM, so it is correct
> > that it does not install when you have only 2GB RAM.

> ok, that makes sense. but how do you install a patch for a system which
> can't install unless you modify the system so that you don't need the patch
> anymore =8O
>
> thomas


Sorry this is incorrect info the problem is that if YOU HAVE more then 3 gig
of ram on 32 bit vista this patch won't install making this all the dumber.
Since this is supposedly fixed in sp1 best thing to do is to hide this patch
and continue with the rest of the available patchs till you can get to sp1.
Since its fixed in sp1 and correctly will show how much current memory you
have (course vista 32 still wont use more then 3 gig even if you have more
then that but will actually show total installed memory) this is the best
scenerio. You can play with that patch all day and try to chance your memory
going bad by removing it from your comp or just hide the darn thing and
trudge on. I tried all the MCST scenerios renaming softwaredistro etc nothing
worked till I just hide the update.
Reply With Quote
Reply

  TechArena Community > Technical Support > Computer Help > Windows XP > Windows Update
Tags: , , ,



Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads for: "Update for Windows Vista (KB929777)"
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Security Update for Windows Vista (KB967723) update error 80070490 jyenterp Windows Update 1 03-11-2009 12:56 PM
Update KB929777 AnViBs Windows Update 12 06-07-2008 02:30 AM
Errror Code 8000FFFF When installing Update KB929777 Ken Hill Windows Update 12 01-02-2008 06:06 PM
Unable to install update for Windows update - Vista Ultimate Editi Richard Wells Windows Update 4 15-09-2007 10:44 PM
RE: Windows update error 80070103 - Beta 2 Vista NVIDIA Driver Update Nadhe Vista Help 1 28-02-2007 07:56 PM


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 11:30 AM.