Go Back   TechArena Community > Technical Support > Computer Help > Windows XP > Windows Update
Become a Member!
Forgot your username/password?
Tags Active Topics RSS Search Mark Forums Read

Sponsored Links



KB923789 Flash fails - patch for flash v6.0 complains about Flash

Windows Update


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
  #1  
Old 12-12-2006
JG
 
Posts: n/a
KB923789 Flash fails - patch for flash v6.0 complains about Flash

Several of our systems are reporting patch failure KB923789

It seems to be a patch for Flash Player version 6; since the user already
has Flash Player version 10 the path is failing.

Can this be fixed?

Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 13-12-2006
MowGreen [MVP]
 
Posts: n/a
Re: KB923789 Flash fails - patch for flash v6.0 complains about Flash

The patch is offered if flash6.ocx is present, irrelevent of which
version of Flash is installed. Suggest you search the system for all
instances of flash6.ocx and delete all copies found in the WINDOWS
directory, only.
Some programs contain the outdated, vulnerable copy. Hopefully, the
programs will be updated in the future. If I knew for certain that you
could safely delete the PROGRAM copies then I would recommend doing so.
I don't.
BTW, the copy of flash6.ocx that is present in WINDOWS should be located
in WINDOWS\system32\Macromed\Flash
If you have difficulty deleting it check the Permissions.
AND, the latest Flash Player is at v.9.0.28.0
Were you referring to Shockwave 10 ?


MowGreen [MVP 2003-2007]
===============
*-343-* FDNY
Never Forgotten
===============


JG wrote:

> Several of our systems are reporting patch failure KB923789
>
> It seems to be a patch for Flash Player version 6; since the user already
> has Flash Player version 10 the path is failing.
>
> Can this be fixed?

Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 29-12-2006
Manda B
 
Posts: n/a
Re: KB923789 Flash fails - patch for flash v6.0 complains about Fl

Hi

I have this same problem and the update will not go away. I have searched
my HD for the flash6.ocx file and it is no present.

Any other advise how to get rid of the re-occuring update??

Thannks

M

"MowGreen [MVP]" wrote:

> The patch is offered if flash6.ocx is present, irrelevent of which
> version of Flash is installed. Suggest you search the system for all
> instances of flash6.ocx and delete all copies found in the WINDOWS
> directory, only.
> Some programs contain the outdated, vulnerable copy. Hopefully, the
> programs will be updated in the future. If I knew for certain that you
> could safely delete the PROGRAM copies then I would recommend doing so.
> I don't.
> BTW, the copy of flash6.ocx that is present in WINDOWS should be located
> in WINDOWS\system32\Macromed\Flash
> If you have difficulty deleting it check the Permissions.
> AND, the latest Flash Player is at v.9.0.28.0
> Were you referring to Shockwave 10 ?
>
>
> MowGreen [MVP 2003-2007]
> ===============
> *-343-* FDNY
> Never Forgotten
> ===============
>
>
> JG wrote:
>
> > Several of our systems are reporting patch failure KB923789
> >
> > It seems to be a patch for Flash Player version 6; since the user already
> > has Flash Player version 10 the path is failing.
> >
> > Can this be fixed?

>

Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 30-12-2006
TaurArian [MS-MVP]
 
Posts: n/a
Re: KB923789 Flash fails - patch for flash v6.0 complains about Fl

Uninstall and reinstall Flash -
1. How to uninstall the Adobe Flash Player plug-in and ActiveX control
http://www.adobe.com/cfusion/knowled...fm?id=tn_14157
Due to recent enhancements with the Flash Player installers, you are now only able to
uninstall by using the Adobe Flash Player Uninstaller

2. Then get Flash here: http://www.adobe.com/downloads/

more info:
http://www.adobe.com/cfusion/knowled...fm?id=tn_19166
or easy link: http://www.adobe.com/go/tn_19166


If that doesn't help - hide the update.

--

==================================
TaurArian [MS-MVP] 2005-2007 - Australia
==================================
http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
Need more help? http://support.microsoft.com/?scid=ph;en-us;6527
Get Safe online: http://www.getsafeonline.org/
(Links to web pages and MSKB Articles are posted for the purposes of keeping the
information current)


"Manda B" <Manda B@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:361656DE-41F3-40B6-8BE1-224DA2FF504C@microsoft.com...
| Hi
|
| I have this same problem and the update will not go away. I have searched
| my HD for the flash6.ocx file and it is no present.
|
| Any other advise how to get rid of the re-occuring update??
|
| Thannks
|
| M
|
| "MowGreen [MVP]" wrote:
|
| > The patch is offered if flash6.ocx is present, irrelevent of which
| > version of Flash is installed. Suggest you search the system for all
| > instances of flash6.ocx and delete all copies found in the WINDOWS
| > directory, only.
| > Some programs contain the outdated, vulnerable copy. Hopefully, the
| > programs will be updated in the future. If I knew for certain that you
| > could safely delete the PROGRAM copies then I would recommend doing so.
| > I don't.
| > BTW, the copy of flash6.ocx that is present in WINDOWS should be located
| > in WINDOWS\system32\Macromed\Flash
| > If you have difficulty deleting it check the Permissions.
| > AND, the latest Flash Player is at v.9.0.28.0
| > Were you referring to Shockwave 10 ?
| >
| >
| > MowGreen [MVP 2003-2007]
| > ===============
| > *-343-* FDNY
| > Never Forgotten
| > ===============
| >
| >
| > JG wrote:
| >
| > > Several of our systems are reporting patch failure KB923789
| > >
| > > It seems to be a patch for Flash Player version 6; since the user already
| > > has Flash Player version 10 the path is failing.
| > >
| > > Can this be fixed?
| >


Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 16-02-2007
andyboy broccolli
 
Posts: n/a
Re: KB923789 Flash fails - patch for flash v6.0 complains about Fl

I did this and it helped somewhat, the uninstaller that is. It didn;t delete
everything. After running the uninstaller (with an unknown publisher) I went
to windows/system32/macromedia/flash/ and deleted all the flash ocb i could
and installed an update from adobe flash player download center. It seems to
work.

"TaurArian [MS-MVP]" wrote:

> Uninstall and reinstall Flash -
> 1. How to uninstall the Adobe Flash Player plug-in and ActiveX control
> http://www.adobe.com/cfusion/knowled...fm?id=tn_14157
> Due to recent enhancements with the Flash Player installers, you are now only able to
> uninstall by using the Adobe Flash Player Uninstaller
>
> 2. Then get Flash here: http://www.adobe.com/downloads/
>
> more info:
> http://www.adobe.com/cfusion/knowled...fm?id=tn_19166
> or easy link: http://www.adobe.com/go/tn_19166
>
>
> If that doesn't help - hide the update.
>
> --
>
> ==================================
> TaurArian [MS-MVP] 2005-2007 - Australia
> ==================================
> http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
> Need more help? http://support.microsoft.com/?scid=ph;en-us;6527
> Get Safe online: http://www.getsafeonline.org/
> (Links to web pages and MSKB Articles are posted for the purposes of keeping the
> information current)
>
>
> "Manda B" <Manda B@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> news:361656DE-41F3-40B6-8BE1-224DA2FF504C@microsoft.com...
> | Hi
> |
> | I have this same problem and the update will not go away. I have searched
> | my HD for the flash6.ocx file and it is no present.
> |
> | Any other advise how to get rid of the re-occuring update??
> |
> | Thannks
> |
> | M
> |
> | "MowGreen [MVP]" wrote:
> |
> | > The patch is offered if flash6.ocx is present, irrelevent of which
> | > version of Flash is installed. Suggest you search the system for all
> | > instances of flash6.ocx and delete all copies found in the WINDOWS
> | > directory, only.
> | > Some programs contain the outdated, vulnerable copy. Hopefully, the
> | > programs will be updated in the future. If I knew for certain that you
> | > could safely delete the PROGRAM copies then I would recommend doing so.
> | > I don't.
> | > BTW, the copy of flash6.ocx that is present in WINDOWS should be located
> | > in WINDOWS\system32\Macromed\Flash
> | > If you have difficulty deleting it check the Permissions.
> | > AND, the latest Flash Player is at v.9.0.28.0
> | > Were you referring to Shockwave 10 ?
> | >
> | >
> | > MowGreen [MVP 2003-2007]
> | > ===============
> | > *-343-* FDNY
> | > Never Forgotten
> | > ===============
> | >
> | >
> | > JG wrote:
> | >
> | > > Several of our systems are reporting patch failure KB923789
> | > >
> | > > It seems to be a patch for Flash Player version 6; since the user already
> | > > has Flash Player version 10 the path is failing.
> | > >
> | > > Can this be fixed?
> | >
>
>
>

Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 19-04-2007
jr
 
Posts: n/a
ddd

ddddd

EggHeadCafe.com - .NET Developer Portal of Choice
http://www.eggheadcafe.com
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 20-04-2007
Gordon
 
Posts: n/a
Re: ddd

<jr> wrote in message news:200741914206jelinson@yahoo.es...
> ddddd
>
> EggHeadCafe.com - .NET Developer Portal of Choice
> http://www.eggheadcafe.com



Please note:
This is NOT a chat room and You are NOT posting to a forum run by
Eggheadcafe - you are actually posting to a global Usenet Newsgroup. You
will get a far better experience if you use a newsreader and subscribe to
these groups directly, rather than through Eggheadcafe.

If you must stay with Egghheadcafe then please follow Usenet custom by
quoting the post you are replying to, and replying to the thread.

Thank you.


Reply With Quote
Reply

  TechArena Community > Technical Support > Computer Help > Windows XP > Windows Update
Tags: , ,



Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads for: "KB923789 Flash fails - patch for flash v6.0 complains about Flash"
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Modified Flash DLL available here (makes Flash 9 look like Flash 10) etienne TroubleShoot 98 3 11-01-2014 09:54 AM
Adware.Flash Tracking Cookie, Macromedia Flash requires reboot to eliminate Centaurs Networking & Security 6 21-07-2010 06:02 AM
Problem installing KB923789 Security update for flash player rosypee Windows Update 5 11-07-2009 03:56 AM
KB923789 Security Update for Flash Player Won't Install KCraver Windows Update 6 05-05-2009 05:23 AM
Security Update for Flash Player (KB923789) Install Failure NamVet Windows Update 26 05-06-2007 07:16 AM


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 06:10 AM.