Thread: Windows Vista (KB929399), 80070002 Error

Shaun Morrissey Guest

Windows Vista (KB929399), 80070002 Error

Hi when i install Update for Windows Media Format 11 SDK for Windows Vista
    (KB929399) it keep failing. It says i've successfully installed the update
    and tells me to reboot, upon rebooting i go back to windows update and it
    tells the installation failed with error code 80070002. I've tryed absolutely
    every KB article from microsoft including stopping the update service
    renaming and deleting software Distribution folder etc but i keep getting
    this error. I decided to download the update directly from the microsoft
    website when i run the update it comes up with error "Not enough storage to
    process this command" So its refusing to install the update both through
    windows update and installing separately. Any help would be much appreciated.

Dave Horne - The Netherlands Guest

RE: Windows Vista (KB929399), 80070002 Error

Shaun, I have the same problem and have tried everything. I also had
    problems installing Update Windows Vista (KB932246) and Update for Windows
    Mail Junk E-mail Filter (KB905866) but somehow managed to install those two
    last night thoiugh I don't know what I actually did that last time that was
    different; the KB929399 is still 'Failed'.

I tried a SafeMode (F8 on reboot) and that was the only way I could delete
    the Windows \ SoftwareDistribution \ Folder. That folder deals with the
    Windows Update history and is recreated each time on start up (if it is
    deleted). I rec'd personal help from MS and one solution was simply to
    rename that folder. The only way I could rename it was in SafeMode since
    there was always a file or two that was being used by another program.

If anyone comes up with a solution I'd love to hear it. I actually managed
    to sucessfully install the update in question but only for a few minutes.
    When I went back to Windows Update I saw that is was 'failed'. At the very
    least, it's nice not being alone with a problem which is out of our control.

"Shaun Morrissey" wrote:

> Hi when i install Update for Windows Media Format 11 SDK for Windows Vista
    > (KB929399) it keep failing. It says i've successfully installed the update
    > and tells me to reboot, upon rebooting i go back to windows update and it
    > tells the installation failed with error code 80070002. I've tryed absolutely
    > every KB article from microsoft including stopping the update service
    > renaming and deleting software Distribution folder etc but i keep getting
    > this error. I decided to download the update directly from the microsoft
    > website when i run the update it comes up with error "Not enough storage to
    > process this command" So its refusing to install the update both through
    > windows update and installing separately. Any help would be much appreciated.

Shaun Morrissey Guest

Hi Dave thanks for your reply, lets hope Microsoft sort something out,
    they're email support is ridiculous i've emailed them 3 times and have been
    told i'll receive a reply within 24 hours, it's now been 2 weeks. I recently
    bought Windows Vista and its dissappointing that their support is so bad.

"Dave Horne - The Netherlands" wrote:

> Shaun, I have the same problem and have tried everything. I also had
    > problems installing Update Windows Vista (KB932246) and Update for Windows
    > Mail Junk E-mail Filter (KB905866) but somehow managed to install those two
    > last night thoiugh I don't know what I actually did that last time that was
    > different; the KB929399 is still 'Failed'.
    >
    > I tried a SafeMode (F8 on reboot) and that was the only way I could delete
    > the Windows \ SoftwareDistribution \ Folder. That folder deals with the
    > Windows Update history and is recreated each time on start up (if it is
    > deleted). I rec'd personal help from MS and one solution was simply to
    > rename that folder. The only way I could rename it was in SafeMode since
    > there was always a file or two that was being used by another program.
    >
    > If anyone comes up with a solution I'd love to hear it. I actually managed
    > to sucessfully install the update in question but only for a few minutes.
    > When I went back to Windows Update I saw that is was 'failed'. At the very
    > least, it's nice not being alone with a problem which is out of our control.
    >
    > "Shaun Morrissey" wrote:
    >
    > > Hi when i install Update for Windows Media Format 11 SDK for Windows Vista
    > > (KB929399) it keep failing. It says i've successfully installed the update
    > > and tells me to reboot, upon rebooting i go back to windows update and it
    > > tells the installation failed with error code 80070002. I've tryed absolutely
    > > every KB article from microsoft including stopping the update service
    > > renaming and deleting software Distribution folder etc but i keep getting
    > > this error. I decided to download the update directly from the microsoft
    > > website when i run the update it comes up with error "Not enough storage to
    > > process this command" So its refusing to install the update both through
    > > windows update and installing separately. Any help would be much appreciated.

Dave Horne - The Netherlands Guest

Shaun, I'm trying to narrow down if perhaps I might have done something to
    cause this. When I first bought my computer (around 8 Feb 07 with Vista
    preinstalled) I always rec'd an error message for incompatibility for a Sonic
    Sound driver. I found a 'fix' online but at this point I forget exactly what
    that enailed. (You can read this thread ...
    http://forums.cnet.com/5208-12546_10...sageID=2400027 ... that was one thread I read to solve that problem.)

I was wondering if you had that same initial driver error as well? This
    might be completely unrelated but this issue got me thinking.

"Shaun Morrissey" wrote:

> Hi Dave thanks for your reply, lets hope Microsoft sort something out,
    > they're email support is ridiculous i've emailed them 3 times and have been
    > told i'll receive a reply within 24 hours, it's now been 2 weeks. I recently
    > bought Windows Vista and its dissappointing that their support is so bad.
    >
    > "Dave Horne - The Netherlands" wrote:
    >
    > > Shaun, I have the same problem and have tried everything. I also had
    > > problems installing Update Windows Vista (KB932246) and Update for Windows
    > > Mail Junk E-mail Filter (KB905866) but somehow managed to install those two
    > > last night thoiugh I don't know what I actually did that last time that was
    > > different; the KB929399 is still 'Failed'.
    > >
    > > I tried a SafeMode (F8 on reboot) and that was the only way I could delete
    > > the Windows \ SoftwareDistribution \ Folder. That folder deals with the
    > > Windows Update history and is recreated each time on start up (if it is
    > > deleted). I rec'd personal help from MS and one solution was simply to
    > > rename that folder. The only way I could rename it was in SafeMode since
    > > there was always a file or two that was being used by another program.
    > >
    > > If anyone comes up with a solution I'd love to hear it. I actually managed
    > > to sucessfully install the update in question but only for a few minutes.
    > > When I went back to Windows Update I saw that is was 'failed'. At the very
    > > least, it's nice not being alone with a problem which is out of our control.
    > >
    > > "Shaun Morrissey" wrote:
    > >
    > > > Hi when i install Update for Windows Media Format 11 SDK for Windows Vista
    > > > (KB929399) it keep failing. It says i've successfully installed the update
    > > > and tells me to reboot, upon rebooting i go back to windows update and it
    > > > tells the installation failed with error code 80070002. I've tryed absolutely
    > > > every KB article from microsoft including stopping the update service
    > > > renaming and deleting software Distribution folder etc but i keep getting
    > > > this error. I decided to download the update directly from the microsoft
    > > > website when i run the update it comes up with error "Not enough storage to
    > > > process this command" So its refusing to install the update both through
    > > > windows update and installing separately. Any help would be much appreciated.

Shaun Morrissey Guest

Hi Dave nah i didn't receive that error, i don't use roxio software nor do i
    have sonic sound drivers, cheers for you reply lets hope we can get it
    sorted, in the end i wonder if the update really is important? at the moment
    i have hidden the update so windows update won't notify to keep installing it.

"Dave Horne - The Netherlands" wrote:

> Shaun, I'm trying to narrow down if perhaps I might have done something to
    > cause this. When I first bought my computer (around 8 Feb 07 with Vista
    > preinstalled) I always rec'd an error message for incompatibility for a Sonic
    > Sound driver. I found a 'fix' online but at this point I forget exactly what
    > that enailed. (You can read this thread ...
    > http://forums.cnet.com/5208-12546_10...sageID=2400027 ... that was one thread I read to solve that problem.)
    >
    > I was wondering if you had that same initial driver error as well? This
    > might be completely unrelated but this issue got me thinking.
    >
    >
    > "Shaun Morrissey" wrote:
    >
    > > Hi Dave thanks for your reply, lets hope Microsoft sort something out,
    > > they're email support is ridiculous i've emailed them 3 times and have been
    > > told i'll receive a reply within 24 hours, it's now been 2 weeks. I recently
    > > bought Windows Vista and its dissappointing that their support is so bad.
    > >
    > > "Dave Horne - The Netherlands" wrote:
    > >
    > > > Shaun, I have the same problem and have tried everything. I also had
    > > > problems installing Update Windows Vista (KB932246) and Update for Windows
    > > > Mail Junk E-mail Filter (KB905866) but somehow managed to install those two
    > > > last night thoiugh I don't know what I actually did that last time that was
    > > > different; the KB929399 is still 'Failed'.
    > > >
    > > > I tried a SafeMode (F8 on reboot) and that was the only way I could delete
    > > > the Windows \ SoftwareDistribution \ Folder. That folder deals with the
    > > > Windows Update history and is recreated each time on start up (if it is
    > > > deleted). I rec'd personal help from MS and one solution was simply to
    > > > rename that folder. The only way I could rename it was in SafeMode since
    > > > there was always a file or two that was being used by another program.
    > > >
    > > > If anyone comes up with a solution I'd love to hear it. I actually managed
    > > > to sucessfully install the update in question but only for a few minutes.
    > > > When I went back to Windows Update I saw that is was 'failed'. At the very
    > > > least, it's nice not being alone with a problem which is out of our control.
    > > >
    > > > "Shaun Morrissey" wrote:
    > > >
    > > > > Hi when i install Update for Windows Media Format 11 SDK for Windows Vista
    > > > > (KB929399) it keep failing. It says i've successfully installed the update
    > > > > and tells me to reboot, upon rebooting i go back to windows update and it
    > > > > tells the installation failed with error code 80070002. I've tryed absolutely
    > > > > every KB article from microsoft including stopping the update service
    > > > > renaming and deleting software Distribution folder etc but i keep getting
    > > > > this error. I decided to download the update directly from the microsoft
    > > > > website when i run the update it comes up with error "Not enough storage to
    > > > > process this command" So its refusing to install the update both through
    > > > > windows update and installing separately. Any help would be much appreciated.

kantmakm Guest

Same problem w/ media player 11 update

I am experiencing the same problem installation of KB929399 and KB929762 Fails with Error Code 80070002 - I also installed the sonic drivers. This particular instance of Vista is Ultimate installed as an upgrade to XP Media center. Would love to find a solution!

EggHeadCafe.com - .NET Developer Portal of Choice
    http://www.eggheadcafe.com

kantmakm Guest

Same problem w/ media player 11 update

I am experiencing the same problem installation of KB929399 and KB929762 Fails with Error Code 80070002 - I also installed the sonic drivers. This particular instance of Vista is Ultimate installed as an upgrade to XP Media center. Would love to find a solution!

kantmakm Guest

Found A Solution!!

I was able to get the update to install! By downloading the standalone .msu installer for the patch and installing it via the Windows Update Standalone Installer. You can get the .msu file here: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929399

cheers,
    --thad

kantmakm Guest

Found A Solution!!

I was able to get the update to install! By downloading the standalone .msu installer for the patch and installing it via the Windows Update Standalone Installer. You can get the .msu file here: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929399

cheers,
    --thad

JJ Guest

RE: Found A Solution!!

im still having troubles installing the KB932246

ive tried downloading it seperately from windows.com, but to no avail

any suggestions?

JJ Guest

RE: Found A Solution!!

im still having troubles installing the KB932246