Thread: Microsoft .NET Framework 3.0: x86 (KB928416) update

Canuck Guest

Microsoft .NET Framework 3.0: x86 (KB928416) update

I was just downloading the latest Windows XP update which was Microsoft .NET
    Framework 3.0: x86 (KB928416) and also the Root Certificates Update when my
    antivirus asked me if I would allow Print Filter Pipeline Host to enter the
    Internet. The installation of the NET Framework 3.0 hung until I allowed the
    Print Filter Pipeline Host to enter the Internet. Is this something I should
    be worried about because I did allow the Print Filter Pipeline Host to do
    just that and the installation then proceeded smoothly. Is this a normal
    procedure when installing updates? I've never been asked to allow a program
    to enter the Internet before with any and all the other updates. Thanks for
    any info I can get on this one.

NightsShadow Guest

RE: Microsoft .NET Framework 3.0: x86 (KB928416) update

I did exactly the same and got the same message from ZoneAlarm, I shouldn't
    worry about it.

"Canuck" wrote:

> I was just downloading the latest Windows XP update which was Microsoft .NET
    > Framework 3.0: x86 (KB928416) and also the Root Certificates Update when my
    > antivirus asked me if I would allow Print Filter Pipeline Host to enter the
    > Internet. The installation of the NET Framework 3.0 hung until I allowed the
    > Print Filter Pipeline Host to enter the Internet. Is this something I should
    > be worried about because I did allow the Print Filter Pipeline Host to do
    > just that and the installation then proceeded smoothly. Is this a normal
    > procedure when installing updates? I've never been asked to allow a program
    > to enter the Internet before with any and all the other updates. Thanks for
    > any info I can get on this one.

Okay,

I had the same issue with Zone Alarm popping up requesting access for the Print Filter Pipeline Host, only breaking tradition for you guys I actually denied it.

The installation of Microsoft .NET Framework 3.0: x86 (KB928416) seemed to stall for a short while which I thought was a bad sign, however after a couple of minutes it continued on it's merry way and completed.

Question is, was it better to have Granted or Denied the access in Zone Alarm? Seeing as thus far I have experienced no real problems, albeit this is the first thread I found when I googled for the Print Filter Pipeline Host.

Also this may serve notice to others who get similar issues that it seems to be perhaps unimportant weather or not you grant this service permission. Comments welcome.

Kriss

osman Guest

RE: Microsoft .NET Framework 3.0: x86 (KB928416) update

"NightsShadow" wrote:

> I did exactly the same and got the same message from ZoneAlarm, I shouldn't
    > worry about it.
    >
    > "Canuck" wrote:
    >
    > > I was just downloading the latest Windows XP update which was Microsoft .NET
    > > Framework 3.0: x86 (KB928416) and also the Root Certificates Update when my
    > > antivirus asked me if I would allow Print Filter Pipeline Host to enter the
    > > Internet. The installation of the NET Framework 3.0 hung until I allowed the
    > > Print Filter Pipeline Host to enter the Internet. Is this something I should
    > > be worried about because I did allow the Print Filter Pipeline Host to do
    > > just that and the installation then proceeded smoothly. Is this a normal
    > > procedure when installing updates? I've never been asked to allow a program
    > > to enter the Internet before with any and all the other updates. Thanks for
    > > any info I can get on this one.