Go Back   TechArena Community > Technical Support > Computer Help > Windows XP > Windows Update
Become a Member!
Forgot your username/password?
Register Tags Active Topics RSS Search Mark Forums Read

Sponsored Links



Windows update "Checking for the latest updates for your computer"for a very long time

Windows Update


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
  #1  
Old 02-09-2006
Bill Arnold
 
Posts: n/a
Windows update "Checking for the latest updates for your computer"for a very long time

This is fresh install of Windows XP Home (version including SP2) on a
slower machine (800 MHZ VIA, to be used as a print/file server).
Machine has full internet access via a NAT box.
Windows Update (or Microsoft Update, either has the same symptoms) gets
to the page where one choses express or custom. Pressing either causes
"svchost" to start using nearly 100 percent of the CPU, with IE taking
the remainder (to draw the endlessly-moving green bar?). The machine is
essentially unusable; other programs and services won't start (actually
they do start but it takes minutes or 10s of minutes) If I leave it for
a long time (hours?) a failure message eventually pops up. The only
other cure seems to be a power-off/on reboot.

Same thing happens shortly after startup if automatic updating is
enabled. (so automatic updating is disabled.)

Any suggestions?

Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 02-09-2006
NewScience
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Windows update "Checking for the latest updates for your computer" for a very long time

It sounds as if your Update database maybe hosed.

First:

1. Open C:\Windows\WindowsUpdate.log and see if there are any error codes
when it hangs

Second:

1. Open SERVICES.MSC and make sure that Automatic Update and BITS services
are started.

If all looks good:

1. Start Menu | Run and type: net stop wuauserv
2. Delete C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution folder and subfolders (they will
be automatically created)
3. Create a .bat script file containing:

net stop wuauserv

regsvr32 /s c:\windows\system32\wuapi.dll
regsvr32 /s c:\windows\system32\wuaueng.dll
regsvr32 /s c:\windows\system32\wuaueng1.dll
regsvr32 /s c:\windows\system32\wuauserv.dll
regsvr32 /s c:\windows\system32\wucltui.dll
regsvr32 /s c:\windows\system32\wups.dll
regsvr32 /s c:\windows\system32\wups2.dll
regsvr32 /s c:\windows\system32\wuweb.dll
regsvr32 /s c:\windows\system32\MSXML3.dll
regsvr32 /s c:\windows\system32\qmgr.dll
regsvr32 /s c:\windows\system32\qmgrprxy.dll
regsvr32 /s c:\windows\system32\jscript.dll
regsvr32 /s c:\windows\system32\mucltui.dll
regsvr32 /s c:\windows\system32\atl.dll

net start wuauserv

4. Save file and run it (You will get an error on the net stop wuauserv
line since it is already stopped - ignore).
5. Try Windows Update ... it will re-sync and update anything missing of
itself and then proceed on.


"Bill Arnold" <barnold@ix.netcom.com> wrote in message
news:O4idnVTVqqFHaGXZnZ2dnUVZ_radnZ2d@suscom.com...
> This is fresh install of Windows XP Home (version including SP2) on a
> slower machine (800 MHZ VIA, to be used as a print/file server).
> Machine has full internet access via a NAT box.
> Windows Update (or Microsoft Update, either has the same symptoms) gets to
> the page where one choses express or custom. Pressing either causes
> "svchost" to start using nearly 100 percent of the CPU, with IE taking the
> remainder (to draw the endlessly-moving green bar?). The machine is
> essentially unusable; other programs and services won't start (actually
> they do start but it takes minutes or 10s of minutes) If I leave it for a
> long time (hours?) a failure message eventually pops up. The only other
> cure seems to be a power-off/on reboot.
>
> Same thing happens shortly after startup if automatic updating is enabled.
> (so automatic updating is disabled.)
>
> Any suggestions?



Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 03-09-2006
Bill Arnold
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Windows update "Checking for the latest updates for your computer"for a very long time

Unfortunately, this procedure did not fix the problem.

NewScience wrote:
> It sounds as if your Update database maybe hosed.
>
> First:
>
> 1. Open C:\Windows\WindowsUpdate.log and see if there are any error codes
> when it hangs

None. Last lines seen in log are (sorry about the formatting):
2006-09-02 17:56:16 1028 730 Report *********** Report: Initializing
static reporting data ***********
2006-09-02 17:56:16 1028 730 Report * OS Version = 5.1.2600.2.0.66304
2006-09-02 17:56:17 1028 730 Report * Computer Brand = ASUSTek
Computer INC.
2006-09-02 17:56:17 1028 730 Report * Computer Model = C3V
2006-09-02 17:56:17 1028 730 Report * Bios Revision = ASUS C3V ACPI
BIOS Revision 1004
2006-09-02 17:56:17 1028 730 Report * Bios Name = Phoenix - Award BIOS
v6.00PG
2006-09-02 17:56:17 1028 730 Report * Bios Release Date =
2005-01-06T00:00:00
2006-09-02 17:56:17 1028 730 Report * Locale ID = 1033
2006-09-02 17:56:17 1028 730 Agent *********
2006-09-02 17:56:17 1028 730 Agent ** END ** Agent: Finding updates
[CallerId = WindowsUpdate]
2006-09-02 17:56:17 1028 730 Agent *************
2006-09-02 17:56:17 2996 9e4 COMAPI >>-- RESUMED -- COMAPI: Search
[ClientId = WindowsUpdate]
2006-09-02 17:56:17 2996 9e4 COMAPI - Updates found = 0
2006-09-02 17:56:17 2996 9e4 COMAPI ---------
2006-09-02 17:56:17 2996 9e4 COMAPI -- END -- COMAPI: Search
[ClientId = WindowsUpdate]
2006-09-02 17:56:17 2996 9e4 COMAPI -------------
2006-09-02 17:56:17 2996 bb8 COMAPI -------------
2006-09-02 17:56:17 2996 bb8 COMAPI -- START -- COMAPI: Search
[ClientId = WindowsUpdate]
2006-09-02 17:56:17 2996 bb8 COMAPI ---------
2006-09-02 17:56:17 2996 bb8 COMAPI - Online = No; Ignore download
priority = No
2006-09-02 17:56:17 2996 bb8 COMAPI - Criteria = "IsInstalled = 0 and
IsHidden = 0"
2006-09-02 17:56:17 2996 bb8 COMAPI - ServiceID =
{9482F4B4-E343-43B6-B170-9A65BC822C77}
2006-09-02 17:56:17 2996 bb8 COMAPI <<-- SUBMITTED -- COMAPI: Search
[ClientId = WindowsUpdate]
2006-09-02 17:56:17 1028 730 Agent *************
2006-09-02 17:56:17 1028 730 Agent ** START ** Agent: Finding updates
[CallerId = WindowsUpdate]
2006-09-02 17:56:17 1028 730 Agent *********
>
> Second:
>
> 1. Open SERVICES.MSC and make sure that Automatic Update and BITS services
> are started.

Automatic Updates and Background Intelligent Transfer Service service
are started.
>
> If all looks good:
>
> 1. Start Menu | Run and type: net stop wuauserv
> 2. Delete C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution folder and subfolders (they will
> be automatically created)
> 3. Create a .bat script file containing:
>
> net stop wuauserv
>
> regsvr32 /s c:\windows\system32\wuapi.dll
> regsvr32 /s c:\windows\system32\wuaueng.dll
> regsvr32 /s c:\windows\system32\wuaueng1.dll
> regsvr32 /s c:\windows\system32\wuauserv.dll
> regsvr32 /s c:\windows\system32\wucltui.dll
> regsvr32 /s c:\windows\system32\wups.dll
> regsvr32 /s c:\windows\system32\wups2.dll
> regsvr32 /s c:\windows\system32\wuweb.dll
> regsvr32 /s c:\windows\system32\MSXML3.dll
> regsvr32 /s c:\windows\system32\qmgr.dll
> regsvr32 /s c:\windows\system32\qmgrprxy.dll
> regsvr32 /s c:\windows\system32\jscript.dll
> regsvr32 /s c:\windows\system32\mucltui.dll
> regsvr32 /s c:\windows\system32\atl.dll
>
> net start wuauserv
>
> 4. Save file and run it (You will get an error on the net stop wuauserv
> line since it is already stopped - ignore).

Done.
> 5. Try Windows Update ... it will re-sync and update anything missing of
> itself and then proceed on.
>

Very similar behavior. It took slightly longer to get to the pinned-CPU
state (task manager says it's svchost); there was about a minute of
activity fluctuating between 70-100 percent CPU.
>
> "Bill Arnold" <barnold@ix.netcom.com> wrote in message
> news:O4idnVTVqqFHaGXZnZ2dnUVZ_radnZ2d@suscom.com...
>> This is fresh install of Windows XP Home (version including SP2) on a
>> slower machine (800 MHZ VIA, to be used as a print/file server).
>> Machine has full internet access via a NAT box.
>> Windows Update (or Microsoft Update, either has the same symptoms) gets to
>> the page where one choses express or custom. Pressing either causes
>> "svchost" to start using nearly 100 percent of the CPU, with IE taking the
>> remainder (to draw the endlessly-moving green bar?). The machine is
>> essentially unusable; other programs and services won't start (actually
>> they do start but it takes minutes or 10s of minutes) If I leave it for a
>> long time (hours?) a failure message eventually pops up. The only other
>> cure seems to be a power-off/on reboot.
>>
>> Same thing happens shortly after startup if automatic updating is enabled.
>> (so automatic updating is disabled.)
>>
>> Any suggestions?

>
>

Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 03-09-2006
JohnL369
 
Posts: n/a
RE: Windows update "Checking for the latest updates for your computer"

I have almost exactly the same problem except mine was much worse with
Microsoft Update than Windows Update. The first power on cycle of the day
(when auto update is active) takes minutes (maybe 10s) before the PC reacts
in anything like a normal manner. Also if I initiated Microsoft Update I got
the same scrolling green bars until it errored out. I finally dropped back
to Windows Update and it at least completes.

I also am bringing a PC back up from scratch (XP Home) after replacing a
hard drive due to a crash. Everything seemed to be working normally for
several days until I loaded Office 2003 and enabled Microsoft Update. Do you
by any chance use Norton AntiVirus 2006? I wonder if there is some
interaction there. However, before my disk crashed I was using this version
of Norton, with XP Home, and Office 2000 without any problems. My other data
point is my laptop (faster uP) with Office 2003 and Norton 2005 which does
not exhibit any problems with Microsoft Update.


Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 04-09-2006
Bill Arnold
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Windows update "Checking for the latest updates for your computer"

JohnL369 wrote:
> I have almost exactly the same problem except mine was much worse with
> Microsoft Update than Windows Update. The first power on cycle of the day
> (when auto update is active) takes minutes (maybe 10s) before the PC reacts
> in anything like a normal manner. Also if I initiated Microsoft Update I got
> the same scrolling green bars until it errored out. I finally dropped back
> to Windows Update and it at least completes.

I haven't noticed any difference between Microsoft Update and Windows Update. Neither
complete for me.
>
> I also am bringing a PC back up from scratch (XP Home) after replacing a
> hard drive due to a crash. Everything seemed to be working normally for
> several days until I loaded Office 2003 and enabled Microsoft Update. Do you
> by any chance use Norton AntiVirus 2006? I wonder if there is some
> interaction there. However, before my disk crashed I was using this version
> of Norton, with XP Home, and Office 2000 without any problems. My other data
> point is my laptop (faster uP) with Office 2003 and Norton 2005 which does
> not exhibit any problems with Microsoft Update.

I'm using a fairly recent (9.0.3.1000) corporate version of Symantec (Norton) AntiVirus.
However, I recall seeing the problems with updates before even installing the
antivirus. I also installed the free ZoneAlarm but the problem was the same with/without
ZoneAlarm.



Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 10-09-2006
Bill Arnold
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Windows update "Checking for the latest updates for your computer"

This problem appears to be resolved. I turned on automatic updates, left
the machine untouched for a few days, and when i checked it again, it
said there were updates to be installed. I allowed windows to install them,
then rebooted, then Windows Update worked, and I installed all the optional
updates as well.

Bill Arnold wrote:
> JohnL369 wrote:
>> I have almost exactly the same problem except mine was much worse with
>> Microsoft Update than Windows Update. The first power on cycle of the
>> day (when auto update is active) takes minutes (maybe 10s) before the
>> PC reacts in anything like a normal manner. Also if I initiated
>> Microsoft Update I got the same scrolling green bars until it errored
>> out. I finally dropped back to Windows Update and it at least completes.

> I haven't noticed any difference between Microsoft Update and Windows
> Update. Neither
> complete for me.
>>
>> I also am bringing a PC back up from scratch (XP Home) after replacing
>> a hard drive due to a crash. Everything seemed to be working normally
>> for several days until I loaded Office 2003 and enabled Microsoft
>> Update. Do you by any chance use Norton AntiVirus 2006? I wonder if
>> there is some interaction there. However, before my disk crashed I
>> was using this version of Norton, with XP Home, and Office 2000
>> without any problems. My other data point is my laptop (faster uP)
>> with Office 2003 and Norton 2005 which does not exhibit any problems
>> with Microsoft Update.

> I'm using a fairly recent (9.0.3.1000) corporate version of Symantec
> (Norton) AntiVirus.
> However, I recall seeing the problems with updates before even
> installing the
> antivirus. I also installed the free ZoneAlarm but the problem was the
> same with/without
> ZoneAlarm.
>
>
>

Reply With Quote
Reply

  TechArena Community > Technical Support > Computer Help > Windows XP > Windows Update
Tags: , ,



Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads for: "Windows update "Checking for the latest updates for your computer"for a very long time"
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Is it possible to update "Live update Administrator" for SEPM's to latest version? VARIJ Networking & Security 6 14-02-2012 12:39 PM
At the time of updating my computer the following error occur "WindowsUpdate_8007010B" "WindowsUpdate_dt000". Barraq Operating Systems 5 05-04-2011 08:26 AM
Disable Windows Vista "Restart your computer to finish installing important updates" feature Jimmy24 Tips & Tweaks 1 16-12-2010 01:12 AM
Stuck on "Checking for updates..." SuperJX Windows Update 5 21-09-2009 11:11 AM
Windows update just keeps "Checking for latest updates" JoeAndrieu Windows Update 8 18-01-2009 12:24 AM


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 05:25 PM.