Results 1 to 12 of 12

Thread: Error number: 0x80070020

  1. #1
    MartynB Guest

    Error number: 0x80070020

    When I access the Microsoft Update site:-

    http://update.microsoft.com/microsof...ult.aspx?ln=en

    I get:-

    " [Error number: 0x80070020]

    The website has encountered a problem and cannot display the page you are
    trying to view. The options provided below might help you solve the problem.
    For self-help options: [etc...]"

    Any ideas?





  2. #2
    TaurArian [MS-MVP] Guest

    Re: Error number: 0x80070020

    You receive a "0x80070020 The process cannot access the file because it is
    being used by another process" error message when you try to download an
    update from Windows Update or from Microsoft Update
    http://support.microsoft.com/default...b;EN-US;883825



    --

    ==================================
    TaurArian [MS-MVP] 2005-2007 - Australia
    ==================================
    http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
    "Need more help? http://support.microsoft.com/?scid=ph;en-us;6527
    (Links to web pages and MSKB Articles are posted for the purposes of keeping
    the information current)


    "MartynB" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    news:uCJ2EyDzGHA.1288@TK2MSFTNGP03.phx.gbl...
    | When I access the Microsoft Update site:-
    |
    | http://update.microsoft.com/microsof...ult.aspx?ln=en
    |
    | I get:-
    |
    | " [Error number: 0x80070020]
    |
    | The website has encountered a problem and cannot display the page you are
    | trying to view. The options provided below might help you solve the
    problem.
    | For self-help options: [etc...]"
    |
    | Any ideas?
    |
    |
    |
    |



  3. #3
    MartynB Guest

    Re: Error number: 0x80070020

    I get the error immediately following the notice:- "Checking if your
    computer has the latest version of Windows updating software....".

    I have cleared the cache and also disabled the real time scanning by my anti
    virus AVG Free Edition as suggested in
    http://support.microsoft.com/default...b;EN-US;883825 , but the
    error remains.

    If I knew what was the actual file that the process cannot access, and
    perhaps deleted it, Windows update could download it again.

    Martyn



    "TaurArian [MS-MVP]" <taurarianREMOVECAPS@gmail.com> wrote in message
    news:uOECI8OzGHA.1252@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl...
    > You receive a "0x80070020 The process cannot access the file because it is
    > being used by another process" error message when you try to download an
    > update from Windows Update or from Microsoft Update
    > http://support.microsoft.com/default...b;EN-US;883825
    >
    >
    >
    > --
    >
    > ==================================
    > TaurArian [MS-MVP] 2005-2007 - Australia
    > ==================================
    > http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
    > "Need more help? http://support.microsoft.com/?scid=ph;en-us;6527
    > (Links to web pages and MSKB Articles are posted for the purposes of
    > keeping
    > the information current)
    >
    >
    > "MartynB" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > news:uCJ2EyDzGHA.1288@TK2MSFTNGP03.phx.gbl...
    > | When I access the Microsoft Update site:-
    > |
    > | http://update.microsoft.com/microsof...ult.aspx?ln=en
    > |
    > | I get:-
    > |
    > | " [Error number: 0x80070020]
    > |
    > | The website has encountered a problem and cannot display the page you
    > are
    > | trying to view. The options provided below might help you solve the
    > problem.
    > | For self-help options: [etc...]"
    > |
    > | Any ideas?
    > |
    > |
    > |
    > |
    >
    >




  4. #4
    MartynB Guest

    Re: Error number: 0x80070020

    The problem has disappeared since a re-boot was done. Strange though.

    "MartynB" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    news:uV$b51QzGHA.4232@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl...
    >I get the error immediately following the notice:- "Checking if your
    >computer has the latest version of Windows updating software....".
    >
    > I have cleared the cache and also disabled the real time scanning by my
    > anti virus AVG Free Edition as suggested in
    > http://support.microsoft.com/default...b;EN-US;883825 , but the
    > error remains.
    >
    > If I knew what was the actual file that the process cannot access, and
    > perhaps deleted it, Windows update could download it again.
    >
    > Martyn
    >
    >
    >
    > "TaurArian [MS-MVP]" <taurarianREMOVECAPS@gmail.com> wrote in message
    > news:uOECI8OzGHA.1252@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl...
    >> You receive a "0x80070020 The process cannot access the file because it
    >> is
    >> being used by another process" error message when you try to download an
    >> update from Windows Update or from Microsoft Update
    >> http://support.microsoft.com/default...b;EN-US;883825
    >>
    >>
    >>
    >> --
    >>
    >> ==================================
    >> TaurArian [MS-MVP] 2005-2007 - Australia
    >> ==================================
    >> http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
    >> "Need more help? http://support.microsoft.com/?scid=ph;en-us;6527
    >> (Links to web pages and MSKB Articles are posted for the purposes of
    >> keeping
    >> the information current)
    >>
    >>
    >> "MartynB" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> news:uCJ2EyDzGHA.1288@TK2MSFTNGP03.phx.gbl...
    >> | When I access the Microsoft Update site:-
    >> |
    >> | http://update.microsoft.com/microsof...ult.aspx?ln=en
    >> |
    >> | I get:-
    >> |
    >> | " [Error number: 0x80070020]
    >> |
    >> | The website has encountered a problem and cannot display the page you
    >> are
    >> | trying to view. The options provided below might help you solve the
    >> problem.
    >> | For self-help options: [etc...]"
    >> |
    >> | Any ideas?
    >> |
    >> |
    >> |
    >> |
    >>
    >>

    >
    >




  5. #5
    Jimmy Guest

    RE: Error number: 0x80070020

    If anyone out there has Spybot Search & Destroy and while trying to run
    Windows update you receive the error number 0x80070020 and this message:

    "Windows Update has encountered an error and cannot display the
    requested page".

    I corrected the problem in my computer. It was the "Tea Timer" in Spybot S&D.

    Bring up Spybot S&D and click on mode.....then select advanced mode....click
    yes in the pop up box.
    Then click tools at lower left....then click resident.....then uncheck the
    Resident "Tea Timer" box.
    X out and that should do it and hopefully most will be able to get the
    Windows updates.

    You can go back after updating and put "Tea Timer" back on by following the
    above steps.
    You may have to do the same thing next time you update unless Spybot S&D
    fixes the glitch in the meantime.

    PS - "Tea Timer" ( if you have Spybot S&D) is an overall protection of
    settings on your computer.

    "MartynB" wrote:

    > When I access the Microsoft Update site:-
    >
    > http://update.microsoft.com/microsof...ult.aspx?ln=en
    >
    > I get:-
    >
    > " [Error number: 0x80070020]
    >
    > The website has encountered a problem and cannot display the page you are
    > trying to view. The options provided below might help you solve the problem.
    > For self-help options: [etc...]"
    >
    > Any ideas?
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >


  6. #6
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    1

    Thanx for the Spybot tip

    I had the error persistently when trying to do MS Update on a machine that I hadn't used in a while, & went through a number of other places that didn't mention the Tea Timer. As soon as I did that, I was able to do the update.
    Thanx for the tip.
    Joe Auerbach

  7. #7
    Smurf Guest

    RE: Error number: 0x80070020

    Thanks Jimmy, This was the answer to to my problem

    "Jimmy" wrote:

    > If anyone out there has Spybot Search & Destroy and while trying to run
    > Windows update you receive the error number 0x80070020 and this message:
    >
    > "Windows Update has encountered an error and cannot display the
    > requested page".
    >
    > I corrected the problem in my computer. It was the "Tea Timer" in Spybot S&D.
    >
    > Bring up Spybot S&D and click on mode.....then select advanced mode....click
    > yes in the pop up box.
    > Then click tools at lower left....then click resident.....then uncheck the
    > Resident "Tea Timer" box.
    > X out and that should do it and hopefully most will be able to get the
    > Windows updates.
    >
    > You can go back after updating and put "Tea Timer" back on by following the
    > above steps.
    > You may have to do the same thing next time you update unless Spybot S&D
    > fixes the glitch in the meantime.
    >
    > PS - "Tea Timer" ( if you have Spybot S&D) is an overall protection of
    > settings on your computer.
    >
    > "MartynB" wrote:
    >
    > > When I access the Microsoft Update site:-
    > >
    > > http://update.microsoft.com/microsof...ult.aspx?ln=en
    > >
    > > I get:-
    > >
    > > " [Error number: 0x80070020]
    > >
    > > The website has encountered a problem and cannot display the page you are
    > > trying to view. The options provided below might help you solve the problem.
    > > For self-help options: [etc...]"
    > >
    > > Any ideas?
    > >
    > >
    > >
    > >
    > >


  8. #8
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy View Post
    If anyone out there has Spybot Search & Destroy and while trying to run
    Windows update you receive the error number 0x80070020 and this message:

    "Windows Update has encountered an error and cannot display the
    requested page".

    I corrected the problem in my computer. It was the "Tea Timer" in Spybot S&D.

    Bring up Spybot S&D and click on mode.....then select advanced mode....click
    yes in the pop up box.
    Then click tools at lower left....then click resident.....then uncheck the
    Resident "Tea Timer" box.
    X out and that should do it and hopefully most will be able to get the
    Windows updates.

    You can go back after updating and put "Tea Timer" back on by following the
    above steps.
    You may have to do the same thing next time you update unless Spybot S&D
    fixes the glitch in the meantime.

    PS - "Tea Timer" ( if you have Spybot S&D) is an overall protection of
    settings on your computer.

    >
    >[/color]
    Thanks for this Jimmy - exactly what the problem was.

    Cheers

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    1

    0x80070020 menace problem

    Hi any one out there with this manecing problem of every time you manualy try and update windows you get this error message 0x80070020 the page you are trying to view cannot be displayed. The following options dash dash dash ok. And on every forum you see only disable teatimer or spybot or any antivirus software. So I found a temporaly fix sorry only temporaly go to start run and type in services.msc a new windows opens search for in it automatic updates right click properties disable autoupdate and stop then go to www.update.microsoft.com and go trough as normal then you arrive at another type of error message ok then go back to services.msc and renable autoupdate and start it go back to your IE where you where with the other error message and refresh wala but only temporaly.......

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Newnan, GA.
    Posts
    1

    Re: Error number: 0x80070020

    Hi everyone,
    I too had the same error when trying to go to windows update manually, I tried all of the Suggestions in the Articles in this forum that applied to me and none of them worked for me not to say they don't work sometimes they just didn't work for me. I started taking a closer look at my PC and noticed that some of the reg files was not original.

    I finally fixed the issue so I thought I would share what I did in hopes it might help someone else so here goes.
    what I finally wound up doing was going back to an old way of repair reg and system files by going to Start Run and typed in sfc /scannow and incerted My XP cd and let it check and return system files to original state. After that proccess was complete I downloaded windows installer and reinstalled it then I downloaded Redistributable version of windows update agent and manually installed it after that I restarted my PC and went to windows update site and it work fine. This was just my experience Thanks hope it helps

    Note: I also did this on two other PCs and it worked on them as well
    Last edited by techbarry; 04-02-2009 at 09:17 AM.

  11. #11
    Enigma_the_ scorpio Guest

    Re: Error number: 0x80070020

    I too have been experiencing the exact issue. I've tried every solution I
    could find on the internet, except yours, techbarry. I even posted a thread
    on this very forum. Unfortunately, nobody had a solution that work for me.
    I'll try your fix and reply with the results.
    --
    Dell Dimension 2400 PC
    Windows xp version 2002 service pack 2 with windows defender and Mcafee
    security center
    Pentium 4 2.66 ghz processor
    256mb of ram (PC2700)
    40gb western digital hard drive



    "techbarry" wrote:

    >
    > Hi everyone,
    > I too had the same error when trying to go to
    > windows update manually, I tried all of the Suggestions in the Articles
    > in this forum that applied to me and none of them worked for me not to
    > say they don't work sometimes they just didn't work for me. I started
    > taking a closer look at my PC and noticed that some of the reg files was
    > not original.
    >
    > I finally fixed the issue so I thought I would share
    > what I did in hopes it might help someone else so here goes.
    > what I finally wound up doing was going back to an old way of
    > repair reg and system files by going to Start Run and typed in sfc
    > /scannow and incerted My XP cd and let it check and return system files
    > to original state. After that proccess was complete I downloaded windows
    > installer and reinstalled it then I downloaded Redistributable version
    > of windows update agent and manually installed it after that I restarted
    > my PC and went to windows update site and it work fine. This was just my
    > experience Thanks hope it helps
    >
    >
    > --
    > techbarry
    > ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    > techbarry's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/techbarry.htm
    > View this thread: Error number: 0x80070020
    >
    > http://forums.techarena.in
    >
    >


  12. #12
    Enigma_the_ scorpio Guest

    Re: Error number: 0x80070020

    Nope, it didn't work. I've tried everything, and nothing's working. Windows
    Defender's real time protection is turned off, Mcafee Spyware protection and
    Systemguards are turned off, and Spybot's tea timer isn't even running. This
    system (to the best of my knowledge) is clean of any Viruses, trojans, ect.
    This problem is really fustrating me and any help is greatly appreciated.
    Hope this isn't falling on deaf ears....
    --
    Dell Dimension 2400 PC
    Windows xp version 2002 service pack 2 with windows defender and Mcafee
    security center
    Pentium 4 2.66 ghz processor
    256mb of ram (PC2700)
    40gb western digital hard drive



    "Enigma_the_ scorpio" wrote:

    > I too have been experiencing the exact issue. I've tried every solution I
    > could find on the internet, except yours, techbarry. I even posted a thread
    > on this very forum. Unfortunately, nobody had a solution that work for me.
    > I'll try your fix and reply with the results.
    > --
    > Dell Dimension 2400 PC
    > Windows xp version 2002 service pack 2 with windows defender and Mcafee
    > security center
    > Pentium 4 2.66 ghz processor
    > 256mb of ram (PC2700)
    > 40gb western digital hard drive
    >
    >
    >
    > "techbarry" wrote:
    >
    > >
    > > Hi everyone,
    > > I too had the same error when trying to go to
    > > windows update manually, I tried all of the Suggestions in the Articles
    > > in this forum that applied to me and none of them worked for me not to
    > > say they don't work sometimes they just didn't work for me. I started
    > > taking a closer look at my PC and noticed that some of the reg files was
    > > not original.
    > >
    > > I finally fixed the issue so I thought I would share
    > > what I did in hopes it might help someone else so here goes.
    > > what I finally wound up doing was going back to an old way of
    > > repair reg and system files by going to Start Run and typed in sfc
    > > /scannow and incerted My XP cd and let it check and return system files
    > > to original state. After that proccess was complete I downloaded windows
    > > installer and reinstalled it then I downloaded Redistributable version
    > > of windows update agent and manually installed it after that I restarted
    > > my PC and went to windows update site and it work fine. This was just my
    > > experience Thanks hope it helps
    > >
    > >
    > > --
    > > techbarry
    > > ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    > > techbarry's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/techbarry.htm
    > > View this thread: Error number: 0x80070020
    > >
    > > http://forums.techarena.in
    > >
    > >


Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 7
    Last Post: 27-10-2011, 02:10 PM
  2. [Error number: 0x80070020]
    By Daniel in forum Windows Update
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 12-04-2009, 05:25 AM
  3. Server Error: 451, Socket Error: 10053, Error Number: 0x800CCC0F
    By Eigenberg in forum Windows XP Support
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 03-06-2008, 04:13 PM
  4. Windows Update Failed: Error number (0x80070020)
    By Allison in forum Windows Update
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 17-07-2007, 10:22 AM
  5. Shutdown with minor causes 0x84010001 and 0x80070020
    By mdgrkb in forum Windows Security
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 03-12-2006, 08:21 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •