Go Back   TechArena Community > Technical Support > Computer Help > Windows XP > Windows Update
Become a Member!
Forgot your username/password?
Tags Active Topics RSS Search Mark Forums Read

Sponsored Links



Windows Genuine Advantage Validation Tool (KB892130) FAILED INSTAL

Windows Update


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
  #1  
Old 16-06-2006
Bill
 
Posts: n/a
Windows Genuine Advantage Validation Tool (KB892130) FAILED INSTAL

The Windows Genuine Advantage Validation Tool (KB892130) failed partway
through the installation while I was gone today and now my Windows Update has
completely stopped working. FURTHER, it will not finish the install of the
Windows Genuine Advantage Validation Tool (KB892130). It is completely hosed
now. Thanks a lot Microsoft.

Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 16-06-2006
Tina
 
Posts: n/a
RE: Windows Genuine Advantage Validation Tool (KB892130) FAILED INSTAL

Yesterday I got a Windows Genuine Advantage report , which means that my
windows is not legitimate. I bought my PC from Dell, in March 2005, I assume
that the windows should be legitimate. I don't feel like buying another
version. This is very upsetting. Any suggestion?

"Bill" wrote:

> The Windows Genuine Advantage Validation Tool (KB892130) failed partway
> through the installation while I was gone today and now my Windows Update has
> completely stopped working. FURTHER, it will not finish the install of the
> Windows Genuine Advantage Validation Tool (KB892130). It is completely hosed
> now. Thanks a lot Microsoft.

Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 16-06-2006
Alias
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Windows Genuine Advantage Validation Tool (KB892130) FAILED INSTAL

Tina wrote:
> Yesterday I got a Windows Genuine Advantage report , which means that my
> windows is not legitimate. I bought my PC from Dell, in March 2005, I assume
> that the windows should be legitimate. I don't feel like buying another
> version. This is very upsetting. Any suggestion?


Call Dell.

Alias
>
> "Bill" wrote:
>
>> The Windows Genuine Advantage Validation Tool (KB892130) failed partway
>> through the installation while I was gone today and now my Windows Update has
>> completely stopped working. FURTHER, it will not finish the install of the
>> Windows Genuine Advantage Validation Tool (KB892130). It is completely hosed
>> now. Thanks a lot Microsoft.

Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 16-06-2006
Robin Walker [MVP]
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Windows Genuine Advantage Validation Tool (KB892130) FAILED INSTAL

Bill <Bill@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

> The Windows Genuine Advantage Validation Tool (KB892130) failed
> partway through the installation while I was gone today


Please discover the error code number for this failure.

Send Internet Explorer to the Windows Update/Microsoft Update site, click on
the link to the "History", and locate the failed update. Then click on the
"Failed" red cross icon to activate a popup giving diagnostic information.

For this last stage to work, you must previously have disabled all
third-party popup-blocking utilities.

--
Robin Walker [MVP Networking]
rdhw@cam.ac.uk


Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 16-06-2006
Robin Walker [MVP]
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Windows Genuine Advantage Validation Tool (KB892130) FAILED INSTAL

Tina <Tina@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

> Yesterday I got a Windows Genuine Advantage report , which means that
> my windows is not legitimate. I bought my PC from Dell, in March
> 2005, I assume that the windows should be legitimate.


There are a number of reasons why this message might appear. If you bought
your PC directly from Dell, then it is exceedingly likely that your XP was
properly licensed and genuine at that time, so you should not fear that you
might have to re-purchase now.

If the PC has been in a repair workshop since then, or if XP has been
re-installed at any time, then the person doing the re-installation may have
done so with an XP CD-ROM and Product Key that was not legitimate.

Also, the present message might be the result of the update installation
error leaving the Windows Genuine Advantage software in an undefined state,
leading to incorrect diagnosis of your PC.

As a first step towards fixing your PC so it doesn't produce the "not
legitimate" message, please download and install:

http://www.download.windowsupdate.co...d496154544.exe

Then re-boot Windows. Does this solve your problem?

If not, we can go to the next stage of de-bugging, but the above is the
simplest first thing to try.

--
Robin Walker [MVP Networking]
rdhw@cam.ac.uk


Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 16-06-2006
Alias
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Windows Genuine Advantage Validation Tool (KB892130) FAILED INSTAL

Robin Walker [MVP] wrote:
> Tina <Tina@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
>> Yesterday I got a Windows Genuine Advantage report , which means that
>> my windows is not legitimate. I bought my PC from Dell, in March
>> 2005, I assume that the windows should be legitimate.

>
> There are a number of reasons why this message might appear. If you bought
> your PC directly from Dell, then it is exceedingly likely that your XP was
> properly licensed and genuine at that time, so you should not fear that you
> might have to re-purchase now.
>
> If the PC has been in a repair workshop since then, or if XP has been
> re-installed at any time, then the person doing the re-installation may have
> done so with an XP CD-ROM and Product Key that was not legitimate.
>
> Also, the present message might be the result of the update installation
> error leaving the Windows Genuine Advantage software in an undefined state,
> leading to incorrect diagnosis of your PC.
>
> As a first step towards fixing your PC so it doesn't produce the "not
> legitimate" message, please download and install:
>
> http://www.download.windowsupdate.co...d496154544.exe
>
> Then re-boot Windows. Does this solve your problem?
>
> If not, we can go to the next stage of de-bugging, but the above is the
> simplest first thing to try.
>


Of course, if WGA didn't exist, this wouldn't happen.

Alias
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 16-06-2006
Dave C
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Windows Genuine Advantage Validation Tool (KB892130) FAILED IN

Robin - I had the same problem today with my computer saying my Windows copy
is not genuine (I'm sure it is !!). I ran your software link and the problem
went away.
Could you please explain what is going on - I just wasted an hour this
morning on this problem. I mean, is my copy genuine or not (It came
preinstalled from a reputable company and the validation has ran in the past
without any problem).

"Robin Walker [MVP]" wrote:

> Tina <Tina@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> > Yesterday I got a Windows Genuine Advantage report , which means that
> > my windows is not legitimate. I bought my PC from Dell, in March
> > 2005, I assume that the windows should be legitimate.

>
> There are a number of reasons why this message might appear. If you bought
> your PC directly from Dell, then it is exceedingly likely that your XP was
> properly licensed and genuine at that time, so you should not fear that you
> might have to re-purchase now.
>
> If the PC has been in a repair workshop since then, or if XP has been
> re-installed at any time, then the person doing the re-installation may have
> done so with an XP CD-ROM and Product Key that was not legitimate.
>
> Also, the present message might be the result of the update installation
> error leaving the Windows Genuine Advantage software in an undefined state,
> leading to incorrect diagnosis of your PC.
>
> As a first step towards fixing your PC so it doesn't produce the "not
> legitimate" message, please download and install:
>
> http://www.download.windowsupdate.co...d496154544.exe
>
> Then re-boot Windows. Does this solve your problem?
>
> If not, we can go to the next stage of de-bugging, but the above is the
> simplest first thing to try.
>
> --
> Robin Walker [MVP Networking]
> rdhw@cam.ac.uk
>
>
>

Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 16-06-2006
Oceana Rose
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Windows Genuine Advantage Validation Tool (KB892130) FAILED IN

I'm having the same problem. I have a 2+ Year old Gateway. I know my disk is
valid. Error Code: 0x80200010. 10 critical downloads failed twice. I turned
off my antivirus and security shield and have Popups "okay". Now what?

Oceana Rose

"Robin Walker [MVP]" wrote:

> Bill <Bill@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> > The Windows Genuine Advantage Validation Tool (KB892130) failed
> > partway through the installation while I was gone today

>
> Please discover the error code number for this failure.
>
> Send Internet Explorer to the Windows Update/Microsoft Update site, click on
> the link to the "History", and locate the failed update. Then click on the
> "Failed" red cross icon to activate a popup giving diagnostic information.
>
> For this last stage to work, you must previously have disabled all
> third-party popup-blocking utilities.
>
> --
> Robin Walker [MVP Networking]
> rdhw@cam.ac.uk
>
>
>

Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 16-06-2006
Robin Walker [MVP]
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Windows Genuine Advantage Validation Tool (KB892130) FAILED IN

Dave C <DaveC@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

> I had the same problem today with my computer saying my
> Windows copy is not genuine (I'm sure it is !!). I ran your software
> link and the problem went away.
> Could you please explain what is going on


We don't know for sure, but we know that that download usually clears the
problem. It appears that on *some* systems in *some* circumstances, a
Windows Update that does not finish properly leads to a subsequent
misdiagnosis. The manual download replaces the failed Windows Update, and
puts things right again.

> I mean, is my copy genuine or not (It came
> preinstalled from a reputable company and the validation has ran in
> the past without any problem).


In those circumstances, your system appears thoroughly genuine. If you need
convincing of that, try downloading and running:

http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=56062

--
Robin Walker [MVP Networking]
rdhw@cam.ac.uk


Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 16-06-2006
Robin Walker [MVP]
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Windows Genuine Advantage Validation Tool (KB892130) FAILED IN

Oceana Rose <OceanaRose@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

> I'm having the same problem. I have a 2+ Year old Gateway. I know my
> disk is valid. Error Code: 0x80200010. 10 critical downloads failed
> twice. I turned off my antivirus and security shield and have Popups
> "okay".


This error code can be caused by Panda anti-virus. Is that what you have?

--
Robin Walker [MVP Networking]
rdhw@cam.ac.uk


Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 17-06-2006
Oceana Rose
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Windows Genuine Advantage Validation Tool (KB892130) FAILED IN

No, I am using Freedom antivirus software by Zero Knowledge supplied with
Adelphia Internet Service. I had turned off the antivirus software before
trying to update.

Oceana Rose

"Robin Walker [MVP]" wrote:

> Oceana Rose <OceanaRose@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> > I'm having the same problem. I have a 2+ Year old Gateway. I know my
> > disk is valid. Error Code: 0x80200010. 10 critical downloads failed
> > twice. I turned off my antivirus and security shield and have Popups
> > "okay".

>
> This error code can be caused by Panda anti-virus. Is that what you have?
>
> --
> Robin Walker [MVP Networking]
> rdhw@cam.ac.uk
>
>
>

Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 17-06-2006
Carey Frisch [MVP]
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Windows Genuine Advantage Validation Tool (KB892130) FAILED INSTAL

Please download and install:

http://www.download.windowsupdate.co...d496154544.exe

Then re-boot Windows. Does this solve the problem?

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP
Windows - Shell/User
Microsoft Community Newsgroups
news://msnews.microsoft.com/

---------------------------------------------------------------------------*----------------

"Bill" wrote:

| The Windows Genuine Advantage Validation Tool (KB892130) failed partway
| through the installation while I was gone today and now my Windows Update has
| completely stopped working. FURTHER, it will not finish the install of the
| Windows Genuine Advantage Validation Tool (KB892130). It is completely hosed
| now. Thanks a lot Microsoft.

Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 17-06-2006
jmatt@webace.com.au
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Windows Genuine Advantage Validation Tool (KB892130) FAILED INSTAL

Bill wrote:
> The Windows Genuine Advantage Validation Tool


http://windowssecrets.com/comp/060615/
TOP STORY
Genuine Advantage is Microsoft spyware

You are prompted to activate Windows every time you restart your
computer
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/312295/en-us

Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 17-06-2006
Oceana Rose
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Windows Genuine Advantage Validation Tool (KB892130) FAILED IN

Carey, Was this an answer to my question or to the first question from Bill?

Thanks.

"Carey Frisch [MVP]" wrote:

> Please download and install:
>
> http://www.download.windowsupdate.co...d496154544.exe
>
> Then re-boot Windows. Does this solve the problem?
>
> --
> Carey Frisch
> Microsoft MVP
> Windows - Shell/User
> Microsoft Community Newsgroups
> news://msnews.microsoft.com/
>
> ---------------------------------------------------------------------------*----------------
>
> "Bill" wrote:
>
> | The Windows Genuine Advantage Validation Tool (KB892130) failed partway
> | through the installation while I was gone today and now my Windows Update has
> | completely stopped working. FURTHER, it will not finish the install of the
> | Windows Genuine Advantage Validation Tool (KB892130). It is completely hosed
> | now. Thanks a lot Microsoft.
>
>

Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 19-06-2006
Stefaan
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Windows Genuine Advantage Validation Tool (KB892130) FAILED INSTAL


<jmatt@webace.com.au> schreef in bericht
news:1150499914.139828.180840@u72g2000cwu.googlegroups.com...
> Bill wrote:
>> The Windows Genuine Advantage Validation Tool

>
> http://windowssecrets.com/comp/060615/
> TOP STORY
> Genuine Advantage is Microsoft spyware
>
> You are prompted to activate Windows every time you restart your
> computer
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/312295/en-us


To put insult upon injury:

when using windows/microsoftupdate and "hiding" this
hideous "Windows Genuine DisAdvantage Beta critical update" lie,
after all updates appear, windowsupdate states:
"warning: your computer may be at risk"....

Lies, lies, and more lies.

If there was a real alternative for Windows, I
wouldn't be posting here.





Reply With Quote
Reply

  TechArena Community > Technical Support > Computer Help > Windows XP > Windows Update
Tags: , , , , ,



Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads for: "Windows Genuine Advantage Validation Tool (KB892130) FAILED INSTAL"
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Windows Genuine Advantage Validation Tool (KB892130) install fails SAinCA Windows Update 6 02-04-2010 07:04 AM
windows genuine advantage validation tool (KB892130) Gisela Windows Update 3 10-10-2008 11:58 PM
Windows Genuine Advantage Validation Tool KB892130 mike_shephard Windows Update 8 20-06-2008 04:36 AM
Windows Genuine Advantage Validation Tool (KB892130) dannywooly77 Windows Update 8 28-04-2008 12:22 AM
Windows Genuine Advantage Validation Tool (KB892130) won't install Charlie G Windows Update 2 08-01-2008 02:53 PM


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 07:09 AM.