Go Back   TechArena Community > Technical Support > Computer Help > Windows XP > Windows Update
Become a Member!
Forgot your username/password?
Register Tags Active Topics RSS Search Mark Forums Read

Sponsored Links



Windows Update - Publisher Unknown

Windows Update


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
  #1  
Old 29-08-2005
CactusPhil
 
Posts: n/a
Windows Update - Publisher Unknown

I am unable to use Windows Update as I continually get the error message:

Windows has blocked this software because it cant verify publisher.
Name:wuweb_site.cab?1125268938546
Publisher:Unknown Publisher

I have checked all IE permissions and have checked all the useful
suggestions of others, with no success with this problem.

Any ideas please?

CactusPhil

Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 29-08-2005
Mox
 
Posts: n/a
RE: Windows Update - Publisher Unknown

CactusPhil, I'm having the same problem. I try to do Windows Update and I
get the same error you posted below, except the number is different after the
question mark:

Windows has blocked this software because it can't verify the publisher.

Name: wuweb_site.cab?1125276542890

Publisher: Unknown Publisher

My guess is that this is a Microsoft screwup with the digital signature (or
lack thereof) on the ActiveX control. I think it is something that will
affect people all over the place, but it just started happening (nothing on
Google yet).

It should be possible to force IE to run ActiveX controls it cannot verify,
but I'm not going to do that. Someone could have owned part of Microsoft's
infrastructure (again) and diddled the control.

I'm going to wait and see what happens in a day or two. My guess is that
lots of people will experience the same thing we have and it will get written
about or fixed or both.

Mox

"CactusPhil" wrote:

> I am unable to use Windows Update as I continually get the error message:
>
> Windows has blocked this software because it cant verify publisher.
> Name:wuweb_site.cab?1125268938546
> Publisher:Unknown Publisher
>
> I have checked all IE permissions and have checked all the useful
> suggestions of others, with no success with this problem.
>
> Any ideas please?
>
> CactusPhil

Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 29-08-2005
CactusPhil
 
Posts: n/a
RE: Windows Update - Publisher Unknown

Mox
Found this bit of info under error Ox800b0001, and following it it has got
me 50% further on!

CAUSE
These issues may indicate that a component of Windows XP that processes
digital signatures is damaged.
RESOLUTION
To resolve this behavior, re-register the Softpub.dll, Wintrust.dll,
Initpki.dll, Dssenh.dll, Rsaenh.dll, Gpkcsp.dll, Sccbase.dll, Slbcsp.dll,
Mssip32.dll, and Cryptdlg.dll files. To do so, follow these steps:

1. Click Start, and then click Run.
2. In the Open box, type cmd, and then click OK.
3. At the command prompt, type regsvr32 softpub.dll, and then press ENTER.
4. Click OK when you receive the message that DllRegisterServer in
Softpub.dll succeeded.
5. Repeat steps 1 through 4 for the following files: Wintrust.dll,
Initpki.dll, Dssenh.dll, Rsaenh.dll, Gpkcsp.dll, Sccbase.dll, Slbcsp.dll,
Mssip32.dll, and Cryptdlg.dll.
6. Type exit, and then press ENTER to quit Command Prompt.




"Mox" wrote:

> CactusPhil, I'm having the same problem. I try to do Windows Update and I
> get the same error you posted below, except the number is different after the
> question mark:
>
> Windows has blocked this software because it can't verify the publisher.
>
> Name: wuweb_site.cab?1125276542890
>
> Publisher: Unknown Publisher
>
> My guess is that this is a Microsoft screwup with the digital signature (or
> lack thereof) on the ActiveX control. I think it is something that will
> affect people all over the place, but it just started happening (nothing on
> Google yet).
>
> It should be possible to force IE to run ActiveX controls it cannot verify,
> but I'm not going to do that. Someone could have owned part of Microsoft's
> infrastructure (again) and diddled the control.
>
> I'm going to wait and see what happens in a day or two. My guess is that
> lots of people will experience the same thing we have and it will get written
> about or fixed or both.
>
> Mox
>
> "CactusPhil" wrote:
>
> > I am unable to use Windows Update as I continually get the error message:
> >
> > Windows has blocked this software because it cant verify publisher.
> > Name:wuweb_site.cab?1125268938546
> > Publisher:Unknown Publisher
> >
> > I have checked all IE permissions and have checked all the useful
> > suggestions of others, with no success with this problem.
> >
> > Any ideas please?
> >
> > CactusPhil

Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 30-08-2005
ttfp
 
Posts: n/a
RE: Windows Update - Publisher Unknown

I get this problem too, except my error code is slighty different. It's
0x80080206. When you say you got 50% further, what exactly do you mean?

"CactusPhil" wrote:

> Mox
> Found this bit of info under error Ox800b0001, and following it it has got
> me 50% further on!
>
> CAUSE
> These issues may indicate that a component of Windows XP that processes
> digital signatures is damaged.
> RESOLUTION
> To resolve this behavior, re-register the Softpub.dll, Wintrust.dll,
> Initpki.dll, Dssenh.dll, Rsaenh.dll, Gpkcsp.dll, Sccbase.dll, Slbcsp.dll,
> Mssip32.dll, and Cryptdlg.dll files. To do so, follow these steps:
>
> 1. Click Start, and then click Run.
> 2. In the Open box, type cmd, and then click OK.
> 3. At the command prompt, type regsvr32 softpub.dll, and then press ENTER.
> 4. Click OK when you receive the message that DllRegisterServer in
> Softpub.dll succeeded.
> 5. Repeat steps 1 through 4 for the following files: Wintrust.dll,
> Initpki.dll, Dssenh.dll, Rsaenh.dll, Gpkcsp.dll, Sccbase.dll, Slbcsp.dll,
> Mssip32.dll, and Cryptdlg.dll.
> 6. Type exit, and then press ENTER to quit Command Prompt.
>
>
>
>
> "Mox" wrote:
>
> > CactusPhil, I'm having the same problem. I try to do Windows Update and I
> > get the same error you posted below, except the number is different after the
> > question mark:
> >
> > Windows has blocked this software because it can't verify the publisher.
> >
> > Name: wuweb_site.cab?1125276542890
> >
> > Publisher: Unknown Publisher
> >
> > My guess is that this is a Microsoft screwup with the digital signature (or
> > lack thereof) on the ActiveX control. I think it is something that will
> > affect people all over the place, but it just started happening (nothing on
> > Google yet).
> >
> > It should be possible to force IE to run ActiveX controls it cannot verify,
> > but I'm not going to do that. Someone could have owned part of Microsoft's
> > infrastructure (again) and diddled the control.
> >
> > I'm going to wait and see what happens in a day or two. My guess is that
> > lots of people will experience the same thing we have and it will get written
> > about or fixed or both.
> >
> > Mox
> >
> > "CactusPhil" wrote:
> >
> > > I am unable to use Windows Update as I continually get the error message:
> > >
> > > Windows has blocked this software because it cant verify publisher.
> > > Name:wuweb_site.cab?1125268938546
> > > Publisher:Unknown Publisher
> > >
> > > I have checked all IE permissions and have checked all the useful
> > > suggestions of others, with no success with this problem.
> > >
> > > Any ideas please?
> > >
> > > CactusPhil

Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 02-09-2005
CactusPhil
 
Posts: n/a
RE: Windows Update - Publisher Unknown

After shutting down and restarting, I was then able to access Windows Update
fully and it is now working fine. (i.e the initial 50% is now 100%)
Hope it works for you


"ttfp" wrote:

> I get this problem too, except my error code is slighty different. It's
> 0x80080206. When you say you got 50% further, what exactly do you mean?
>
> "CactusPhil" wrote:
>
> > Mox
> > Found this bit of info under error Ox800b0001, and following it it has got
> > me 50% further on!
> >
> > CAUSE
> > These issues may indicate that a component of Windows XP that processes
> > digital signatures is damaged.
> > RESOLUTION
> > To resolve this behavior, re-register the Softpub.dll, Wintrust.dll,
> > Initpki.dll, Dssenh.dll, Rsaenh.dll, Gpkcsp.dll, Sccbase.dll, Slbcsp.dll,
> > Mssip32.dll, and Cryptdlg.dll files. To do so, follow these steps:
> >
> > 1. Click Start, and then click Run.
> > 2. In the Open box, type cmd, and then click OK.
> > 3. At the command prompt, type regsvr32 softpub.dll, and then press ENTER.
> > 4. Click OK when you receive the message that DllRegisterServer in
> > Softpub.dll succeeded.
> > 5. Repeat steps 1 through 4 for the following files: Wintrust.dll,
> > Initpki.dll, Dssenh.dll, Rsaenh.dll, Gpkcsp.dll, Sccbase.dll, Slbcsp.dll,
> > Mssip32.dll, and Cryptdlg.dll.
> > 6. Type exit, and then press ENTER to quit Command Prompt.
> >
> >
> >
> >
> > "Mox" wrote:
> >
> > > CactusPhil, I'm having the same problem. I try to do Windows Update and I
> > > get the same error you posted below, except the number is different after the
> > > question mark:
> > >
> > > Windows has blocked this software because it can't verify the publisher.
> > >
> > > Name: wuweb_site.cab?1125276542890
> > >
> > > Publisher: Unknown Publisher
> > >
> > > My guess is that this is a Microsoft screwup with the digital signature (or
> > > lack thereof) on the ActiveX control. I think it is something that will
> > > affect people all over the place, but it just started happening (nothing on
> > > Google yet).
> > >
> > > It should be possible to force IE to run ActiveX controls it cannot verify,
> > > but I'm not going to do that. Someone could have owned part of Microsoft's
> > > infrastructure (again) and diddled the control.
> > >
> > > I'm going to wait and see what happens in a day or two. My guess is that
> > > lots of people will experience the same thing we have and it will get written
> > > about or fixed or both.
> > >
> > > Mox
> > >
> > > "CactusPhil" wrote:
> > >
> > > > I am unable to use Windows Update as I continually get the error message:
> > > >
> > > > Windows has blocked this software because it cant verify publisher.
> > > > Name:wuweb_site.cab?1125268938546
> > > > Publisher:Unknown Publisher
> > > >
> > > > I have checked all IE permissions and have checked all the useful
> > > > suggestions of others, with no success with this problem.
> > > >
> > > > Any ideas please?
> > > >
> > > > CactusPhil

Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 04-09-2005
dutch
 
Posts: n/a
RE: Windows Update - Publisher Unknown

hey phil and mox, yes the greed goes on. the muweb_site.cab displays a
different numarical string with each access. after much research i have
discerned the following: the problem is built into the product ID, the OEM
designation is the culprit. windows was installed by the manufacturer. this
issue is unnessary and delivered via the latest security updates accessable.
the bottom line is either you pay the $35.00 for technical support ( from a
non english speaker pretending to speak english) or not. not trying to be
bitter just delivering the news as i see it.

"Mox" wrote:

> CactusPhil, I'm having the same problem. I try to do Windows Update and I
> get the same error you posted below, except the number is different after the
> question mark:
>
> Windows has blocked this software because it can't verify the publisher.
>
> Name: wuweb_site.cab?1125276542890
>
> Publisher: Unknown Publisher
>
> My guess is that this is a Microsoft screwup with the digital signature (or
> lack thereof) on the ActiveX control. I think it is something that will
> affect people all over the place, but it just started happening (nothing on
> Google yet).
>
> It should be possible to force IE to run ActiveX controls it cannot verify,
> but I'm not going to do that. Someone could have owned part of Microsoft's
> infrastructure (again) and diddled the control.
>
> I'm going to wait and see what happens in a day or two. My guess is that
> lots of people will experience the same thing we have and it will get written
> about or fixed or both.
>
> Mox
>
> "CactusPhil" wrote:
>
> > I am unable to use Windows Update as I continually get the error message:
> >
> > Windows has blocked this software because it cant verify publisher.
> > Name:wuweb_site.cab?1125268938546
> > Publisher:Unknown Publisher
> >
> > I have checked all IE permissions and have checked all the useful
> > suggestions of others, with no success with this problem.
> >
> > Any ideas please?
> >
> > CactusPhil

Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 12-02-2009
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 3
Re: Windows Update - Publisher Unknown

Quote:
Originally Posted by CactusPhil View Post
Mox
Found this bit of info under error Ox800b0001, and following it it has got
me 50% further on!

CAUSE
These issues may indicate that a component of Windows XP that processes
digital signatures is damaged.
RESOLUTION
To resolve this behavior, re-register the Softpub.dll, Wintrust.dll,
Initpki.dll, Dssenh.dll, Rsaenh.dll, Gpkcsp.dll, Sccbase.dll, Slbcsp.dll,
Mssip32.dll, and Cryptdlg.dll files. To do so, follow these steps:

1. Click Start, and then click Run.
2. In the Open box, type cmd, and then click OK.
3. At the command prompt, type regsvr32 softpub.dll, and then press ENTER.
4. Click OK when you receive the message that DllRegisterServer in
Softpub.dll succeeded.
5. Repeat steps 1 through 4 for the following files: Wintrust.dll,
Initpki.dll, Dssenh.dll, Rsaenh.dll, Gpkcsp.dll, Sccbase.dll, Slbcsp.dll,
Mssip32.dll, and Cryptdlg.dll.
6. Type exit, and then press ENTER to quit Command Prompt.




"Mox" wrote:

> CactusPhil, I'm having the same problem. I try to do Windows Update and I
> get the same error you posted below, except the number is different after the
> question mark:
>
> Windows has blocked this software because it can't verify the publisher.
>
> Name: wuweb_site.cab?1125276542890
>
> Publisher: Unknown Publisher
>
> My guess is that this is a Microsoft screwup with the digital signature (or
> lack thereof) on the ActiveX control. I think it is something that will
> affect people all over the place, but it just started happening (nothing on
> Google yet).
>
> It should be possible to force IE to run ActiveX controls it cannot verify,
> but I'm not going to do that. Someone could have owned part of Microsoft's
> infrastructure (again) and diddled the control.
>
> I'm going to wait and see what happens in a day or two. My guess is that
> lots of people will experience the same thing we have and it will get written
> about or fixed or both.
>
> Mox
>
> "CactusPhil" wrote:
>
> > I am unable to use Windows Update as I continually get the error message:
> >
> > Windows has blocked this software because it cant verify publisher.
> > Name:wuweb_site.cab?1125268938546
> > Publisher:Unknown Publisher
> >
> > I have checked all IE permissions and have checked all the useful
> > suggestions of others, with no success with this problem.
> >
> > Any ideas please?
> >
> > CactusPhil
what do i do for vista, please help. awannabeee
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 12-02-2009
TaurArian
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Windows Update - Publisher Unknown

awannabeee wrote:
:: CactusPhil;1232153 Wrote:
::: Mox
::: Found this bit of info under error Ox800b0001, and following it it
::: has got
::: me 50% further on!
:::
::: CAUSE
::: These issues may indicate that a component of Windows XP that
::: processes
::: digital signatures is damaged.
::: RESOLUTION
::: To resolve this behavior, re-register the Softpub.dll, Wintrust.dll,
::: Initpki.dll, Dssenh.dll, Rsaenh.dll, Gpkcsp.dll, Sccbase.dll,
::: Slbcsp.dll,
::: Mssip32.dll, and Cryptdlg.dll files. To do so, follow these steps:
:::
::: 1. Click Start, and then click Run.
::: 2. In the Open box, type cmd, and then click OK.
::: 3. At the command prompt, type regsvr32 softpub.dll, and then press
::: ENTER.
::: 4. Click OK when you receive the message that DllRegisterServer in
::: Softpub.dll succeeded.
::: 5. Repeat steps 1 through 4 for the following files: Wintrust.dll,
::: Initpki.dll, Dssenh.dll, Rsaenh.dll, Gpkcsp.dll, Sccbase.dll,
::: Slbcsp.dll,
::: Mssip32.dll, and Cryptdlg.dll.
::: 6. Type exit, and then press ENTER to quit Command Prompt.
:::
:::
:::
:::
::: "Mox" wrote:
:::
:::: CactusPhil, I'm having the same problem. I try to do Windows
:::: Update and I get the same error you posted below, except the
:::: number is different after the question mark:
::::
:::: Windows has blocked this software because it can't verify the
:::: publisher.
::::
:::: Name: wuweb_site.cab?1125276542890
::::
:::: Publisher: Unknown Publisher
::::
:::: My guess is that this is a Microsoft screwup with the digital
:::: signature (or lack thereof) on the ActiveX control. I think it is
:::: something that will affect people all over the place, but it just
:::: started happening (nothing on Google yet).
::::
:::: It should be possible to force IE to run ActiveX controls it
:::: cannot verify, but I'm not going to do that. Someone could have
:::: owned part of Microsoft's infrastructure (again) and diddled the
:::: control.
::::
:::: I'm going to wait and see what happens in a day or two. My guess
:::: is that lots of people will experience the same thing we have and
:::: it will get written about or fixed or both.
::::
:::: Mox
::::
:::: "CactusPhil" wrote:
::::
::::: I am unable to use Windows Update as I continually get the error
::::: message:
:::::
::::: Windows has blocked this software because it cant verify
::::: publisher. Name:wuweb_site.cab?1125268938546
::::: Publisher:Unknown Publisher
:::::
::::: I have checked all IE permissions and have checked all the useful
::::: suggestions of others, with no success with this problem.
:::::
::::: Any ideas please?
:::::
::::: CactusPhil
::
:: what do i do for vista, please help. awannabeee
::
::
:: --
:: awannabeee
:: ------------------------------------------------------------------------
:: awannabeee's Profile:
:: http://forums.techarena.in/members/awannabeee.htm View this thread:
:: Windows Update - Publisher Unknown
::
:: http://forums.techarena.in


1. you should have started your own posting and provided as much information
as possible.

2. Assuming you mean "0x800B0001" as that was mentioned in the thread you
just hijacked, then read:-

Error code when you try to use Windows Update or Microsoft Update to install
updates: "0x800B0001"
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/958045
--

TaurArian [MVP] 2005-2009 - Update Services
http://taurarian.mvps.org
======================================
How to ask a question: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555375
Disclaimer: The information has been posted "as is" with no warranties
or guarantees and doesn't give any rights. Computer Maintenance:
Acronis / Diskeeper / Paragon / Raxco



Reply With Quote
Reply

  TechArena Community > Technical Support > Computer Help > Windows XP > Windows Update
Tags: ,



Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads for: "Windows Update - Publisher Unknown"
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Unknown Publisher Security Warning HYMA!VATH Windows Security 5 02-05-2009 10:22 AM
Unknown Publisher using Vista Frustrated with Vista Vista Help 14 12-02-2009 07:09 AM
'Unknown publisher' error while downloading awannabeee Operating Systems 6 11-02-2009 07:52 PM
how do I allow download from unknown publisher C Stern Windows Security 2 05-09-2007 04:08 PM
Blocked software because publisher is unknown Frank McGlynn Vista Help 4 16-07-2007 11:54 AM


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 06:36 PM.